Flash to the Past

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amansker

Reaction score
(copied from the FJR1300 list)

Forgive me if I posted this in the past. Reminiscing on the "old days". Some of you probably read Friction Zone Magazine. The founder/owner, Amy Holland, rode an FJ1200 for years (as did myself and riding buddy). When she got access to one of the earliest FJR1300's in the USA (before they were on the showroom floor and only in preorder stage) she gave me a call. "Would you and Dave like to come up and ride the FJR1300?"

Dave couldn't make it, but I got to take a nice 70 mile ride from Hemet - Idylwild - Banning - Idylwild. That is a fine motorcycling road if you have never been there.

Anyway, take a look at the silver flossed sex machine in the right column - the bike looks pretty good too. The caption refers to Joel Keller who placed a preorder.

October, 2002 Red Hot Riders (San Diego) newsletter:

https://www.redhotriders.com/newsletters/newsletter_10_02.pdf

Andy

Yep picked my '03 up on July 21, 2002. Came in on July 17th. #49 on the list of pre orders. Still have it, have spent almost as much on accessories, LOL, and have ridden some rallies and even have an IBA #, just lucky. It will probably have to go to the junkyard after Iam done with it. Thanks for the memories.

In '02 I owned a Yahama Road Star that I kinda liked because it was comfortable to ride but it did not 1)stop 2)handle 3) turn 4)accelerate 5)have any ground clearance. So I started researching bikes. I read about the European Yamaha FJR 1300 being only available in Europe and decided that I wanted one. I was making good money at the time so I started looking into buying one in Europe and bringing it home to the states. While researching it I found www.fjrowners.com. The forum said that Yamaha was considering making the bike available to the US but on conditional basis: 1)You must order it in February 2002 2)You must put $500 non-refundable deposit down 3) You don't get to see, touch or ride one 4) You take delivery in July...maybe. :p

Well, 1600 of us American riders did exactly that and I received the 8th FJR in the US on July 18th, 2002 according to the forum. I owned my '03 until July 10, 2009 when a big, muley deer jumped out in front of me and I could not miss it. The bike was totalled (broken crankshaft on the left end) and I now am an owner of a new '09 A model. But my memories of buying a model of bike without ever seeing one will be unique forever. :D

Bill

I also saw the reviews in 2001 & 2002 and placed my "PDP" $500 deposit for a July 17 delivery. Picked it up on 21 July 2002. Put 90k miles on it. Loved that bike. Good memories!!!

Fred

In early 2002 I was looking for a replacement for my V-65 Magna that had served me faithfully through the 90's as my "touring" mount. I would have never believed I would give a dealer a $500.00 deposit for a bike I had only seen in pictures and the only accounts I had of the bike were from the original fjrowners board. But I did and never looked back. The rest, as they say, is history.

Thank you amansker, for refreshing this! I saw that article and somewhere in my storage shed I still have the hard copy. I still pick up Friction Zone Magazine from local M/C shops. I had seen an FJR at the Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italia in 2001 with my then wife Jean and our then four year old Son Seth.

I talked to the owner, my Italian is terrible - but he also spoke Spanish, and he raved about his new FJR. I was one of the letter writers to Yamaha and one of the first to put down my $500 deposit. Another Phoenician named Doug Banfelder got his FJR the day after Labor Day 2002 and I got mine that Friday.

My Miss Lucy Liu's VIN Number is .....000647; she's been the best motorcycle I've ever owned. While I love the Black 2008's, they'll bury me with Miss Lucy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm not a real pioneer, but I came to the fold early. I was riding a Blackbird XX and arthritis in my neck caused too much pain and I had to do something. I was a Honda guy 1982-2002 and was looking for an ST I could ride with an upright position and more comfort for my, and my spouse's, aging bodies, but which also offered serious power and sport handling. I was initially inclined toward an ST 1,300. But I had come across some articles on the FJR 1300 and found they were lighter, faster, better handling and cheaper than the Honda (and in my opinion, better looking). The MSRP was spooky for me at the time, $11,500, but as luck would have it, I spotted one in the classifieds in a town 220 miles from here. This was in Jan. 2003 and this bike had been delivered to the owner the first part of August in 2002. His interests had changed and he was going to sell the FJR and an HD (and keep his Busa.) With a mere 1,300 miles on the FJR, he wanted the full retail price which I at first supposed to be a typo in the ad. I turned that down and offered $9,000. He laughed and countered with $11,000 which is where things stood when we hung up. A week later, he called and offered $10,500 and I said no, $9,000. The next week, he called and offered $10,000, the week after he offered $9,500. I said no, $9000. And that's what he offered and I accepted one week later. That was seven season ago and we are still happily getting along, the FJR clock now showing 57,000 miles even as she hibernates out in the zero degree weather in the garage. It doesn't have the balls of the Blackbird nor does it lean as steeply, but I can ride it nearly the same and do it all day.

We've been through a lot and been on some very fine trips. I have no regrets whatsoever with my decision back in Feb. of 2003. Best all-around bike for my needs I've ever had and almost entirely trouble-free. What's not to love?

Beemerdons,

I remember seeing a couple of these bikes early on too, and knew I had to have one. I took me a while, but I finally got it a month ago. I remember meeting Doug Banfelder and seeing his bike when I ran the first Twist n Shout rally here out of Cave Creek. I also saw the one ridden by Dale Wilson who was the tech inspector for the rally. I love my 07' and am having a ball with it. I am working on getting it farkled the way I want it, and trying to wear out tires.

Beemerdons,
I remember seeing a couple of these bikes early on too, and knew I had to have one. I took me a while, but I finally got it a month ago. I remember meeting Doug Banfelder and seeing his bike when I ran the first Twist n Shout rally here out of Cave Creek. I also saw the one ridden by Dale Wilson who was the tech inspector for the rally. I love my 07' and am having a ball with it. I am working on getting it farkled the way I want it, and trying to wear out tires.
Oh my gosh, Tom: This's a blast from the past. I was there with SkooterG, vectervp1, Warchild, Gary "Mudslide" Miller, Lon McCarter and the rest of those guys!

Holy cow, Don! Big city small town. I had a ball on that rally. It was my first, and I was all alone. I met some interesting people and had a great ride. I remember the gang on Vee stroms from Cali, the harley shop owner on the sportster from Ky, Warchild, and of course the fez'd one. I was the first finisher with the least points..... I had no idea what I was doing. What a ride though. Saw a bunch of AZ on my R1100rs!

My bike was purchased by its original owner in December '02, so it's not one of the first, but it has a pretty low VIN: 000061.

I wasn't riding at the time it was new, but the FJR was on my list of desirables when some disposable cash came my way after we finally sold Mom's house, but that cash wouldn't cover a new one. I got my '03 in June '07.

Liquid Silver is the best there ever was!!!!!

Beemerdons,
Oh my gosh, Tom: This's a blast from the past. I was there with SkooterG, vectervp1, Warchild, Gary "Mudslide" Miller, Lon McCarter and the rest of those guys!
Who was the guy on fjrowners.com/forum that was from Australia who wrote like 5 articles a day? His handle was unique like "wizard" or "wombat" or something like that. All of a sudden, he got fed up in 2003 and quit the forum in a huff because we were talking about problems too much. He was funny, intelligent and very likable.

Bill

Bill: For the life of me I cannot remember! Perhaps OZ Thug or Aussie Steve here on our FJR Forum might remember. I'll ask SkooterG, when I see him tomorrow!

Beemerdons,
Who was the guy on fjrowners.com/forum that was from Australia who wrote like 5 articles a day? His handle was unique like "wizard" or "wombat" or something like that. All of a sudden, he got fed up in 2003 and quit the forum in a huff because we were talking about problems too much. He was funny, intelligent and very likable.

Bill

Back in 2002 I got my PDP deposit in the very last week they were taking deposits. I was in the middle of a divorce so I made a$500 "loan" from the ex's account. Started watching the forums and when the first bikes started arriving I got all giddy. Then I read something that made me nervous. Folks were talking about getting some kinda paperwork (forget now what it was called) that notified them of when they could expect their bike. Time passes and no paper for me. So I call my dealer who calls Yamaha who says they have no record of the PDP deposit. Fortunately me & the dealer have records. Never did figure out where or who dropped the ball but the bottom line was Yamaha saying that all bikes had been spoken for. I WAS PISSED!! Fortunately my dealer was on my side and his Yamaha rep was a buddy of his and they managed to find me a bike. WHEW!!!!!!! Took delivery in late November of 2002 and (unlike the ex) we're still together. LOL.....the ex never did ask about that $500 missing from her account.

Tom