For all you campers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowags

Reaction score
Just a little reminder!

Colorado Division of Wild Things

Safety Bulletin

Please be advised that there have been an increased number of incidents of contacts with bears. Campers and hikers should use caution and avoid these animals, particularly in remote areas. Be sure to affix small bells to your clothes and obtain a can of pepper spray before going into the woods.

Person traveling on foot in the woods should be aware of signs of both Black and Grizzly bears, including their feces:

· Black bear droppings usually contain berry seeds and bits of squirrel fur.

· Grizzly bear shit often contains small bells and smells like pepper.

Enjoy your visit to Colorado!

Several years ago I was in Churchill, Manitoba as a typical tourist peeping at the polar bears from the tundra buggies. I asked the guide if pepper spray was a defense against a polar bear attack as I had heard it worked on other bears. He said, "yes, pepper spray is useful in case of a polar bear attack." "You must use it in a different manner than with other bears, though." " If a polar bear is attacking you, spray the pepper spray into your own eyes so you cannot see yourself being eaten....."

Don't forget the mountain lions. These are seen in Golden and the front range. Although attacks are rare (we maybe here of 1 or 2 serious encounters a year) they do happen.

Reese Bobby: "If you're calm, that wondrous big cat will be calm too. But if you're scared, that beautiful death machine will do what God made it to do, namely, eat you with a smile on it's face."

Just a little reminder!
Colorado Division of Wild Things

Safety Bulletin

Please be advised that there have been an increased number of incidents of contacts with bears. Campers and hikers should use caution and avoid these animals, particularly in remote areas. Be sure to affix small bells to your clothes and obtain a can of pepper spray before going into the woods.

Person traveling on foot in the woods should be aware of signs of both Black and Grizzly bears, including their feces:

· Black bear droppings usually contain berry seeds and bits of squirrel fur.

· Grizzly bear shit often contains small bells and smells like pepper.

Enjoy your visit to Colorado!

Pepper spay does work, just do not do like some folks did in Glacier a few years ago. They spayed their children with it thinking hat it would keep the bears away. Now the children smell too good to not eat. Got this from a ranger who works up there. He could not belive what he was seeing. Hinted that it took him a minute to let the parents know that was not the proper use of pepper spay.

Neal.

We had a black bear in a neighbors back yard here this last week. Nearby we have a new construction on "Cougar Mountain" and the people moving in are complaining about cougars in their back yards; eh; duh.

I live by the premise if I don't taste good, they won't eat me. So I eat less salt and always shake a little on my fellow hikers before we hit the trail.

Pepper spay does work, just do not do like some folks did in Glacier a few years ago. They spayed their children with it thinking hat it would keep the bears away. Now the children smell too good to not eat. Got this from a ranger who works up there. He could not belive what he was seeing. Hinted that it took him a minute to let the parents know that was not the proper use of pepper spay.Neal.
Isn't it against the law to "spay" your children? :lol:

"...sorry Billy, we're gonna have to spay you now, there's bears about."

"But Mom!"

"You heard your mother, get over there so she can have you spayed right now young man!"

"How come Susie isn't being spayed?"

"Don't worry son...we'll get her next. We're just doing this because we love you."

News Bulletin later that night "...A Washington couple were arrested this morning after finding out that they spayed their children. They had the mistaken belief that if they made their children unable to conceive, that the bears would leave them alone.

Now back to your regular programming...."

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I camped my way to NAFO via Glacier N.P. and planned to go through Yellowstone. So I had a can of bear spray in my pack. Crossed into Canada in Northern Idaho, and declared the spray to their customs guy. Maybe he thought I said "hand grenade." He made me come inside and ran a computer check of my criminal history while the line of cars outside just sat there, then he wanted me to "surrender" the damn $50 can. I told him I'd just pass on the privilege of seeing Lake Kootenai and turn around. Guess my background check went ok, cuz after another phone call, he let me pass. Later on, in Waterton Lakes (Canada), saw the same thing, same brand, for sale in the park store. Go figure. Maybe only Canadian-bought bear spray can be used in Canada. (Glad I didn't mention I was also packing a hatchet.)

I camped my way to NAFO via Glacier N.P. and planned to go through Yellowstone. So I had a can of bear spray in my pack. Crossed into Canada in Northern Idaho, and declared the spray to their customs guy. Maybe he thought I said "hand grenade." He made me come inside and ran a computer check of my criminal history while the line of cars outside just sat there, then he wanted me to "surrender" the damn $50 can. I told him I'd just pass on the privilege of seeing Lake Kootenai and turn around. Guess my background check went ok, cuz after another phone call, he let me pass. Later on, in Waterton Lakes (Canada), saw the same thing, same brand, for sale in the park store. Go figure. Maybe only Canadian-bought bear spray can be used in Canada. (Glad I didn't mention I was also packing a hatchet.)

That's strange. :unsure:

In July of this year,I bought a can in Montana (Bear spray) and carried it into Canada. Carried it at Glacier and then at Waterton.

Declared it at the border and had no problem. We entered Canada on the Montana side.

Lucky, I guess.

Pepper spay does work, just do not do like some folks did in Glacier a few years ago. They spayed their children with it thinking hat it would keep the bears away. Now the children smell too good to not eat. Got this from a ranger who works up there. He could not belive what he was seeing. Hinted that it took him a minute to let the parents know that was not the proper use of pepper spay.Neal.
Isn't it against the law to "spay" your children? :lol:

"...sorry Billy, we're gonna have to spay you now, there's bears about."

"But Mom!"

"You heard your mother, get over there so she can have you spayed right now young man!"

"How come Susie isn't being spayed?"

"Don't worry son...we'll get her next. We're just doing this because we love you."

News Bulletin later that night "...A Washington couple were arrested this morning after finding out that they spayed their children. They had the mistaken belief that if they made their children unable to conceive, that the bears would leave them alone.

Now back to your regular programming...."

:lol:
Good catch, It was supposed to say SPRAYED not spayed. Some kids maybe should be spayed early though.