Fork Driver Tool help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james1300

Reaction score
Neighbors '05 FJR.

Fork was leaking.

He took both sides apart (cartridges out) and flushed everything including lowers.

New dust seals and seals ready to go back in.

The upper 'bushing' is giving him fits!

How does he get the upper bushing back into the fork lower?

The fork tube looks like it will only go back in with the LOWER bushing installed on the tube prior to inserting the fork tube into the fork lower.

What 'tool' is used to install the upper bushing into the fork lower while the fork tube is installed into the fork lower?

I was thinking a piece of PVC pipe slid down over the fork tube. It could be used as a 'driver', to tap the bushings then, the seals back into place?

He went to the local Lowes Hardware store where they sell it in 2 foot lengths.

However, it is too small diameter. It won't fit over the tube. 2mm too small diameter.

My suggestion was to 'dremel', cut the length of the PVC pipe. This would allow the PVC to expand enough to slide over the tube.

Then use the PVC pipe as a driver.

Suggestions?

I have a length of SS pipe that works great for bushing installation, a piece of PVC for a seal driver and a home made special tool for holding the innards while you loosen the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork leg. This is a "kit" that was put together by forum member Doodidge and added to by a friend of mine. Doodidge's intent is that this will be a traveling tool set for fork rebuilding. I can ship these to you once I get them back from the person who is using them right now. Getting them to you would take most if not all of this week. If that's a time frame you can live with PM me your address and I'll get them on the UPS truck.

This thread might give you the info you need to source the materials locally Fork seals

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you BOTH for your help!

I will see him day after tomorrow.

I'll ask him and get back with you, if thats OK?

Thank You again!

Jim

Neighbors '05 FJR.

Fork was leaking.

He took both sides apart (cartridges out) and flushed everything including lowers.

The tubing required to drive the middle bushing is hand rail tubing.
Note the OP is talking about a Gen I, no middle bushing. I'll bet a normal 48mm fork seal driver will tap the upper bushing in place without any heroic measures. If he's willing to heat the slider up a bit it might go in a lot easier, too.

Neighbors '05 FJR.

Fork was leaking.

The tubing required to drive the middle bushing is hand rail tubing.
Note the OP is talking about a Gen I, no middle bushing. I'll bet a normal 48mm fork seal driver will tap the upper bushing in place without any heroic measures. If he's willing to heat the slider up a bit it might go in a lot easier, too.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them along.

Yesterday I tore my forks apart. My Motion Pro 48mm fork seal driver did not help in putting in the upper bushing on my Gen II forks, but thanks to whoever suggested the 2" OD/0.050" wall thickness stainless steel handrail tubing, it taps the middle and upper bushings in perfectly.

Yesterday I tore my forks apart. My Motion Pro 48mm fork seal driver did not help in putting in the upper bushing on my Gen II forks, but thanks to whoever suggested the 2" OD/0.050" wall thickness stainless steel handrail tubing, it taps the middle and upper bushings in perfectly.
Excellant INFO! Thanks! I'll pass it on to 'the neighbor guy'!

+1 on the thanks to Ashauler. Just ordered a 2' section of the polished SS 2" OD tubing- $30 incl. shipping.