Found on Ebay: Garmin Zumo 550 for $550 shipped

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I didn't already have one....and LOVE it....I'd scoop this one, and soon (despite the guy's screen name :glare: ). He has a decent feedback rating and apparently has sold other GPS units to happy buyers.

The warranty materials that came with mine specifically excluded units that were purchased through on-line auctions.

Since a lot of Zumo 550s end up going back for resurrection when they won't turn on any more (mine did this, and its reported extensively on the Zumo Forum), the warranty would seem important.

Double check to make sure this one is covered by a Garmin warranty that is valid in your neck of the woods.

If I didn't already have one....and LOVE it....I'd scoop this one, and soon (despite the guy's screen name :glare: ). He has a decent feedback rating and apparently has sold other GPS units to happy buyers.
I really want to buy it...

The warranty materials that came with mine specifically excluded units that were purchased through on-line auctions.
Since a lot of Zumo 550s end up going back for resurrection when they won't turn on any more (mine did this, and its reported extensively on the Zumo Forum), the warranty would seem important.

Double check to make sure this one is covered by a Garmin warranty that is valid in your neck of the woods.
...but this info makes me nervous. Thanks for the alert.

As I posted on a different thread you may want to try Best Buy at your local store, they were selling the Zumo 550 for 539.00 apx 20 miles away from me but none were in stock and it is an in store item only. The closest store with one in stock was 200 miles. Its a lot more on line at Best Buy. They sales person told me they are doing competitive pricing to clearance the units. It is worth a try. I asked that ebay buyer if it was reconditioned and he stated it was new but did not know whuch maps were loaded. He seems legit.

The above needs to be covered in SNOPES.COM....I have purchased 5 Garmin units from Ebay in the last 10 years. I had to send back 2 of them for problems (the latest being my Zumo for screen de-lamination)....BOTH the defects were covered by Garmin, no problem at all with them being purchased on Ebay...

Dude, it ya want it, bid on it..GARMIN will cover it!

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

I've not ever had a problem with Garmin either, have bought multiples off Flea-Bay.

Even my Zumo, while it hasn't had to go back I'm about to have my 3rd mount. No amount of chemical cleaning and/or lubrication will keep it sounding nice at present.

They did change the mount policy though... they use to send them ahead and expect you to send your bad one back. Now it's reverse, they won't send you one until you send in your bad one, turn around time estimated at 3-4 weeks. You can pre-buy one though (which I did) and they'll refund you when you send in the busted unit.

Here's hoping they've figured out a fix for this.

-MD

Damn I was trying to be nice and let the guy who found it buy it, then I started thinking bad thoughts, went to get it and someone beat me. I was still for sale like 5 minutes ago, darn it..

Oh well...

Damn I was trying to be nice and let the guy who found it buy it, then I started thinking bad thoughts, went to get it and someone beat me. I was still for sale like 5 minutes ago, darn it..
Oh well...
Here's another one ... link

I just wonder if I can do better in terms of price and/or wait for the new version. You know ....the new Zumo with all the features you love PLUS improved Mp3 capability, built-in radar detector, and central unit for bluetooth communication system between rider and passenger!

Alright ... that's just my dream unit! :rolleyes:

The above needs to be covered in SNOPES.COM....I have purchased 5 Garmin units from Ebay in the last 10 years. I had to send back 2 of them for problems (the latest being my Zumo for screen de-lamination)....BOTH the defects were covered by Garmin, no problem at all with them being purchased on Ebay...

Dude, it ya want it, bid on it..GARMIN will cover it!

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
Jay, my Zumo is showing the same problem - screen de-lam

But I'm definitely past the warranty by up to a year

Did you get it fixed/replaced under warranty, or do you know if it's a covered defect for life ???

TIA

Mike

Jay, my Zumo is showing the same problem - screen de-lamBut I'm definitely past the warranty by up to a year

Did you get it fixed/replaced under warranty, or do you know if it's a covered defect for life ???

TIA

Mike
I recently had my Zumo repaired post warranty.

The top [+] button came off, and it quit recognizing the XM radio puck.

They have a flat one-time fee of $220 to refurbish your unit.

I got the same unit back (same SN) with new screen, new skin, and who knows what else inside replaced.

So far I'm happy, but waiting, desperately for the next gen Nuvi's to get crammed into a Zumo package. It is time they upgraded them.

My Garmin warranty book is pretty clear on purchases made through online auctions:

"Products sold through online auctions are not eligible for rebates or special offers from Garmin. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain waarnty service, an original copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction"

So, if it s a legit retailer on ebay and they provide a hard copy receipt you should be OK. I dont know how they would know it was online ebay retailer though if you had a copy of the reciept and you were missing components upon receipt. There are plenty of retailers who sell these from storefronts and on ebay as well.

Gee, I guess emailing them a copy of my web store purchase was good enough for them when the unit had fallen off the windshield of my van once too often yanking out the power recepticle on the auto mount and damaging the power cord.

I emailed them a request for warranty replacement of these two items and Murphy's law was I was planning a trip scheduled in 3 days to the Dragon trailering the bike. The "second shift" customer service rep OK'd the replacement seeing the emailed forwarding of the sale invoice (could have made that up using MS Word was what I thought at the time) and was ready to ship UPS ground the items that were in stock. I mentioned via email about my trip. The best she said she could do was UPS guaranteed 3 day which would have delivery on Fri evening and I was leaving on the trip oh dark thirty Sat morn.

It went just as she said. Interestingly to me was the emails were all dated with a time in the middle of the night which obviously why the CS rep's title was "2nd shift".

When subsequently (yes, I know) my new basset hound puppy used my working auto mount and power cord for a chew toy, I tried again to have it replaced. It was 2 years 3 months past the "registration" date which they logged when I did the warranty replacement before, and the same shift supervisor reported it was out of warranty, but they could sell me discounted items and gave me a quote. It was less than "retail" but more than what I could purchase new on ebay. I purchased from ebay.

Best of Luck,

Mike in Ole Nawlins'

Check out my Gathering Ride March 6-9, everyone here is invited

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?a...&pid=522878

"Sometimes You Have to Use the Whole Speedometer"

"Riding is Life...Everything Before & After Is Just Waiting"

"The Best Pilots Have a Great Wingman"

"If you can't Ride, Fly or Sail it, Why Bother?"

"Go like Hell...worse that can happen is you go to Heaven"