Front Fork Adjustment knob screw

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfCentury

Reaction score
2003 Gen 1 FJR

I need to replace one of the screws that hold the knob for adjusting front fork damping.

The screws have been on back order last year and this year.

Does anyone know the metric thread pitch and screw length so that I can just order some screws from FleaBay or from McMaster?

The Yamaha part number is 98680-03008-00

His spec does not include the pitch. Just the diameter and the length.
M3 implies the thread pitch for me. Even when there are more than one threads per unit length for a given diameter, there is usually one that is more often encountered.

If in doubt, I buy some of all available. Hardware is cheap compared to the value of the bike and what a dealer charges.

His spec does not include the pitch. Just the diameter and the length.
M3 implies the thread pitch for me. Even when there are more than one threads per unit length for a given diameter, there is usually one that is more often encountered.

If in doubt, I buy some of all available. Hardware is cheap compared to the value of the bike and what a dealer charges.
Just like in our system there are "usual" coarse and fine threads with metric fasteners. M3 = Metric, 3 mm diameter. -08 = length. The thread pitch, threads per mm, is not included. You have to guess. Just like if I told you to get a 1/4" screw. Which of the "normal" tpi is it? 20? 28? Not knowing will require a second trip to the store unless you buy all combinations containing the two variables, assuming of course the store you choose has the right one to begin with.

Normal convention requires something like M3-.5 x 8. Or M3-.35 x 8. So be sure when you go you get one of everything.

Last edited by a moderator: