Fz1 Vs Fjr Wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddletramp

Reaction score
I own an 03 FZ1 & an 05 FJR. The tire sizes are identical & other than color the wheels appear to be the same.

Are there any experts out there that can varify if they are indeed interchangeable?

I have my reasons! :p

Well, for one the FZ1 has a chain drive, and the FJR shaft. So the rear is definately not interchangable. :)

The front wouldn't suprise me. I am no expert on Yamaha, but Honda wheels are often interchangable between models and certain model years.

You are rights Afterburn on the rear wheel. Right after I typed that question I knew I missed the obvious about the rear drive! :eh:

Are there any experts out there that can varify if they are indeed interchangeable?
Since you have both bikes handy, ready to be worked on, wouldn't that kinda qualify you as the expert, or at least an expert-to-be? Try to swap them, and let us know what you find out!

on the front the diff would be the rotor size. I don't have my bumble-bee FZ any more, and I don't recall the size of the rotor. That may be a show stopper unless you swap the rotors as well.

Then again, why would you swap the rims? is one better than the other?

Then again, why would you swap the rims?
Maybe 'cuz the FZ1 guys tend to crash a lot and part out their bikes on ebay cheap. Having a second rim to swap street/track tires, or to replace a damaged stock rim is appealing.

Rotors rarely come on used rims. I thought the FZ1's had 298mm rotors, same exact ones as '03 US and '03/prior ROW. The newer FJR rotors should still fit.

But yes, as mentioned if you ABS, you may be out of luck (dunno for certain)

I don't have abs on my 05 FJR.

The reason I was asking in because I was offered some FZ1 wheels real cheap & before I thought it through I posted the question. That's what I get for browsing bike boards from work.

I thought it would be cool it the rims would fit both bikes. I'm going to pick em up anyway. I might paint them yellow & see if I like matching yellow rims on my 03 bumblebee!

It might be fun to have some extras to play with! :D