Garage Door Opener

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freesundae

Reaction score
Guys, I am trying to install a garage door opener on my bike, I would like to ditch the battery and run it directly off the bike. It is a 12v battery(in the garage door opener) and hooked it up and got it to work great. Now I need to wire a switch into it and I get all confused because the switch has a ground but only Positive and negative on the garge door opener. I know I am not making sense because I am confused as hell...Please help...

Motorcycle

battery(+)

battery(-)

Garage door Opener

(-)

(+)

Switch

(Power)

(Ground)

(Load)

Please help me complete the the circuit.....I suck at this....

Tim

I don't really understand the desire to run the opener off the bike power, since the battery in it will last for years... but: Keep it seperate.

Wire the bike power to the opener terminals. - to GND and + to +12V. Do it through a fuse with low amperage (500mA or so).

Next, wire a momentary switch to the switch contacts on the opener (you should basically open the plastic, solder wires directly to the opener switch poles, and re-house the opener). You don't need to remove the switch in the opener, just wire in parallel.

If you were creative, you could put a two conductor connector in the opener, then just plug it in. A 3.5 mm audio jack would work real well. In other words, you would install a female jack into the opener, in the plastic somewhere and wire the poles to the switch poles. Then, install a switch on your bike, and wire the poles of that switch to a plug. Plug it together and the bike switch will work. Un plug and the opener will still work as it was originally intended. Oh, this config would be for the switch only, you would have to power off the opener's battery. Or you could install a 4 pole connector, but then the opener would be useless away from the bike. You don't want the battery in parallel with the bike power. It is not rechargeable!!

-BD

I thought about powering mine too, but the 9V battery just lasts too dang long to even consider powering it. I concur.

I put my effort into soldering in an external momentary switch to the extra Genie opener. I put that external switch (about $2.50 from Rad Shack) on left panel right next to the hazard switch and then velcro the opener to the frame underneath wrapped in a couple baggies.

It's been happy and working for a year now. Pressing a button on my fairing feels factory installed.

The 3.5m jack intrigues me as you point out I could use it away from the bike and I do see your point about hardwiring it to the bike, I could use this jack 3.5mm 2-Conductor Panel Mount and this switch Momentary Switch run 2 wires from the panel mount to the garage switch, 2 wires from 3.5mm plug to switch, :D , sweet and I was making it so complicated...Thanks.

Tim

Agree with BrunDog on power. I mounted my transmitter to the cross bar under & behind the dash on the left side with plastic wire ties. I used an SAE connector between the new pushbutton switch, which I mounted in panel A next to the four way flasher switch, and the transmitter. I wanted to be able to remove panel A without a hassle later. I did not wire the unit to bike power as the battery normally lives for over a year. The PB circuit from the SAE connector to the Transmitter is in parallel with the existing PB in the transmitter which I disabled. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I also at first installed on the left-hand side, using the supplied battery. [for the electric gates]

The range was not too good and had to get within 5-6 yards before they would activate.

Decided that the clutch and the button was a no no so then installed on the right-hand side.

Two [2] Yamaha outboard kill switches linked to the remote. Now I can open the garage and front gate at the same time

Howard

OK, you got me interested. But I wanna see someone's panel mounted buttons. Any pictures?? Anyone ........ Anyone .........

Keep searching the net. I installed mine with an outboard switch using directions found on someone's site. Damned if I can remember where it was, but it's out there. Mine's been working perfectly for over two years now. I didn't use bike power either.......the remote battery lasts almost a year.

C'mon sundae. Do not use crap products, you will get crap results!

Use a decent waterproof button. You can get them from vendors like Digi-key.

-BD

Do like many Goldwingers do. Wire it into the your high beam headlight. Pull up to the garage, hit high beam, the door opens. Simple!

Bananas!

Forgot to add that if you use the high beam as a power sourse for the gararge door opener, you must solder the circuit under the button on the opener closed. It's easy. It's just a little tap that contacts the circuit board when you push the button. This way when you flip the high beam button the opener powers up, with the circuit soldered closed, the button is already pushed for you. Bada Bing, in the garage you go!

Bananas!

OK, you got me interested. But I wanna see someone's panel mounted buttons.

Do not use crap products, you will get crap results!
BrunDog is correct. The Radio Shack PB used here is already starting to corrode at about a year.

Also shown is the heattroller for the Dual Star grip heaters

Range on my opener is about 150 ft. Steel garage doors & siding on house. Usually by the time I get to the door & stop ready to back in the door is all the way up.

GarageDoorPB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
no holes, no wires, no trouble. Velcro one of these to the underside of the lid for the dash compartment.

B00023RR10.01-A25H918G976PNM._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

cryptic but functional and can be found for about $20.

Plus, the flexibility of being able to quickly remove it and use it on another bike, in a rental car, etc makes it pretty nice.

DSC01389c.jpg

Must have been late when I posted. The RED switch is the Yamaha kill switch. The black one's I got from an auto parts store.

I initially installed the red switch on the left hand side as shown. However difficult to push and use the clutch at the same time. Decided to get another for the garage and could not [stock not available] this is when I got the two black switches which operate the gates and door. I left the red switch in to hide the hole................Now as the FJR is a magnet at any gathering, the first question is allways "what are those buttons for" I explain the black ones

The red one...............

Hope this helps

Howard

I took Randy's suggestion - velcroed the opener to the bottom of the compartment door. Works great!