Garauld's Luggage Rack for the 06 !!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I better consider gettin' that there rack... My custom, Texas redneck T(rash) bag will fit jus' purfect on her. Plus, I have a near endless supply of them bags from Albertson's. :rolleyes:

Cool! I just ordered one for my '05 with the removable backrest. I'm looking at the new Tbag (rigid foam, rectangular jobbie) to put atop the rack.
And que possible, a link, perhaps? I would certainly like to take a look at that bag - Wonky has been asking for one !!
Careful with the T-Bag Dekker model (https://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=2&SelectedCat=3). I've used one of these on my Harley Ultra Classic for years, and thought it would work great on the Garauld's rack/backrest that came on the used '06 FJR I just purchased. But when I set it on the rack it hangs over on both sides, and although the bag does have an internal foam frame it's not enough to keep it from drooping on both sides, even when empty. I was already thinking it may need something like a nylon board (think cutting board) to sit on. Or the same board inserted inside the bag on the bottom. The Harley Tourpak luggage rack it's designed to sit on is the same width as the Dekker.

The Dekker bag is held together by the foam pieces inside (1 bottom, 2 long sides, 2 short sides, 1 lid piece). The foam pieces are covered in soft, felt-like material, and clings to velcro that's sewn on the the cordura making up the bag. I know all this because mine got pretty dirty once and I took it all apart so I could toss the bag in the washer, and had some patches sewn on it while apart. Getting it back together was like a monkey humping a football.

If you could figure out the platform issue it may work fine. But the foam does reduce the capacity down quite a bit. I think it was more designed for carrying things you don't want to get banged around, like a camera or laptop. On the Harley we have plenty of room with the saddlebags and tourpak so the Dekker ends up with things we need quick access to, like maps, camera, suntan lotion, girl-stuff, and other light things since it ends up being way up high on the Harley. You know, things FJR riders normally put in a tank-bag. One really nice thing about the Dekker is it's built-in rain cover. We used it last week on the way home from a week of riding in Canada.

Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received my rear luggage rack and backrest from Garauld and am overwelmed with the quality!!! :rolleyes:

I had him powdercoat it to match my 07 dark cherry and it is unbelievable!! He even powdercoated the spacers that go underneath it to mount.

This kind of quality is what America Craftmanship is all about!!! Wow!!! The design and welds are second to none!

Thanks Gary :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks Zodiac, that was nice. BTW, I use acrylic urethane BC/CC paint to match the bike's color, not powder. It costs several hundreds of $$$ to make up a powder to match....

I've asked G to put me on his order list... I'm looking forward to having one of his fine products.

Lennie

I've had mine for a couple of weeks. I can't seem to get people to stop slobbering all over it. A true piece of art. Thanks Gary for the quality of craftsmanship and service.

Bill

Thanks Zodiac, that was nice. BTW, I use acrylic urethane BC/CC paint to match the bike's color, not powder. It costs several hundreds of $$$ to make up a powder to match....
Hey, what do I know! It just looks great and I know I could never paint it as nice as that!!! It's great!!! Thanks Gary for a great product!!! If you ever come to Florida (West Palm Beach area) my bike is yours!!!!