Garmin announced New Zumo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Garmin, historically, as the price goes up the features go down. I wonder what's been deleted this yr....

I'm perfectly happy with my $180 nuvi 780. Yrs on bikes & in autos and it hasn't vibrated to death yet. Or died form the baggie-immune rainwater. And the display isn't washed out from the horrible sunshine.

Curvy roads option would be nice, but for now I'll stick with my zumo 220 that does everything I need it to do when I'm out and about.

As for google maps, I use it on my phone all the time for my commute because of the traffic info. But in Colorado I had zero service more often than I had service, so the Garmin was handy.

No, I didn't pay retail for my 220. I got it for cheap from a guy who paid retail and who was replacing it with a unit he paid retail for. I like those guys and am happy they are out there doing it.
biggrin.png

Google is coming along, but until they get the kinks worked out on their offline maps, I still need the Garmin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garmin sure is proud of their GPS. My 660 still suits me just fine. If that $900 GPS included weather radar, I might consider it.
Careful what you wish for.
smile.png
I believe they do albeit bluetooth linked through an app on your phone. A few other gizmos like traffic and such also.

So no more satellite radio but they've integrated with smartphone apps.

Interesting direction.

Dunno if I wanna go that direction, but, interesting.

It's tempting to upgrade. I've been running a Zumo 550 since 2008.

+1. I'm still on my Zumo 550 and can't rationalize the prices of today's Zumos. While I would like faster recalculation, a larger display, and use of more than 1000 mp3 files, there's not enough improvement to justify retiring my 550.

:)

The 590 is a great GPS and keeps getting better and more reliable with firmware updates. The weather radar displays clearly and if you're paying any attention at all, you'll know exactly when you're about to be fucked by the weather. I tried challenging one of the yellow and red blobs last summer and got hammered by high winds, hail and driving rain. Next time, I'll wait for the cell to blow over cause it doesn't lie. Live Traffic streamed from your smartphone is as good as anything on the market, including Google. It shows traffic delays in relatively remote areas and big delays like road and bridge closures, and construction, and lets you re-route before you get there. I have had it pick up big traffic delays, but it still pays to study your re-routing options before you blindly follow the GPS.

For the Luddites, discounts can be had. I got 20% for having the Bluetooth fail on my Streetpilot 2820 and calling technical support. A 590 isn't too hard to justify at $634. I really enjoy the diversity of Pandora streaming. It doesn't put such a big hit on my phone's data and it lets me listen to stuff I don't have on MP3, and the media interface on the GPS is very easy letting you switch modes, playlists etc on the fly. The GPS handles phone calls brilliantly. The up-ahead feature lets you search fuel, restaurants, motels, attractions and other things along a route you're navigating and can help make more efficient decisions. If there is no fuel on your route, you can widen to a radar search. I've had it happen, and it can prevent a dry tank unless you really are in the middle of nowhere (Glen Canyon).

Curvy roads option is cool and all, but here in Texas that option includes "county roads". Even though I have a config to avoid unpaved roads, these "county roads" are considered paved, but they ain't, not by a long shot.
So the curvy road option is about useless around here, unless you like riding gravel or worse, dirt roads.

Just the price of living in the sticks. Beats fighting DFW traffic, lol
Same in Alabama. Don't trust Garmin on county roads....

So no more satellite radio but they've integrated with smartphone apps.
Interesting direction.

Dunno if I wanna go that direction, but, interesting.

It's tempting to upgrade. I've been running a Zumo 550 since 2008.
Me too and my trusty old 550 is starting to act strange.

Just a head's up: When/if shopping around check out Garmin's website and even give them a call if there's something that interests you. They'll give a decent discount on some trade-ins/ups and they will run sales on some items. Ask a customer rep if there's anything being offered that maybe wasn't obviously advertised.

And hold off until Black Friday to purchase that lifetime maps update. If they aren't coming with that now. I don't recall.

Last edited by a moderator: