• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Garmin Lifetime maps on sale at Amazon - $65

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap! As usual, Amazon.com will not allow shipping to Canada of this item, nor can I get the online code.........How come you guys and gals down there get all the good deals??

I just updated my 2720 and 2730 for free at the link below.

I clicked on automotive and just followed the instructions.

I downloaded to my GPS units and to my computer.

I now have 2012 maps in both units.

The web site says free one time update until February sometime.

Not sure it will work with all garmin units or just my older units.

clicky here
Don't know how you got them for free? They charge for that. Had you ever updated either unit previously? They usually give you one 'free' update after purchase but I would have thought that would have expired on those units by now.
Using the link I gave click on "Automotive" A screen came up that said "hook up gps unit or enter the serial number of unit" I then got a screen that gave me three choices

1. Free onetime update (expiring in Feb. 2012)

2. Unlimited lifetime updates for a price

3. Onetime update for a price

I chose #1 and then got a screen that led me thru the download process for both units and my computer.

My units have never been updated before.

Years ago I called Garmin and tried to get a free update for my 2730(refurbished) that came from garmin with outdated maps and they told me the unit was out of production and I would have to buy the update if I wanted it. My 2730 was never updated.
Well damn, how come you got the 'one time free update' option and I didn't? It sure as hell ain't because you are better looking than me! :p

Did you plug yours in, or enter the serial number? I entered the serial number for two 2730s I have and only got the pay options for both.

I just updated my 2720 and 2730 for free at the link below.

I clicked on automotive and just followed the instructions.

I downloaded to my GPS units and to my computer.

I now have 2012 maps in both units.

The web site says free one time update until February sometime.

Not sure it will work with all garmin units or just my older units.

clicky here
Don't know how you got them for free? They charge for that. Had you ever updated either unit previously? They usually give you one 'free' update after purchase but I would have thought that would have expired on those units by now.
Using the link I gave click on "Automotive" A screen came up that said "hook up gps unit or enter the serial number of unit" I then got a screen that gave me three choices

1. Free onetime update (expiring in Feb. 2012)

2. Unlimited lifetime updates for a price

3. Onetime update for a price

I chose #1 and then got a screen that led me thru the download process for both units and my computer.

My units have never been updated before.

Years ago I called Garmin and tried to get a free update for my 2730(refurbished) that came from garmin with outdated maps and they told me the unit was out of production and I would have to buy the update if I wanted it. My 2730 was never updated.
Well damn, how come you got the 'one time free update' option and I didn't? It sure as hell ain't because you are better looking than me! :p

Did you plug yours in, or enter the serial number? I entered the serial number for two 2730s I have and only got the pay options for both.
I plugged the unit in. And ah I do ride an 05 FJR

Also my units have never been updated.

The 2720 had 07 maps and the 2730 had 08 maps. thats the way I got them

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably did download a software update for your units, but the City Navigator maps will cost extra. There are big differences in our area in the new maps, and for you, even Hwy 99 is very different from what is in your 2008 vintage maps.

I now have 2012 maps for both gps units and two different computers. I paid nothing for them. I do know the difference between a software update and a map update.

Cool! Deal of the year. Come-on down and ride the passes Saturday. You can find your way now.
I may come down it depends on how far south you guys go.

I'm not doing 120.

I have your original route already in the gps using the newly updated to 2012 maps :yahoo: