Garmin Zumo 450/550 vs. Zumo 66X

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have actually hands on experience with both a 450/550 and a 660/665

• Total voters
Like the 550, a great GPS, 5 years old.

The screen got damaged in the top box of my XS 11 and finally ordered a new one.

Such a good price on Ebay that I ordered another the day I changed it out, just in case.

Have 3 sd cards full of music and swap them out every couple of weeks.

And a wealth of knowledge at the Zumo Forum.

I'm with Yamafitter on liking the Montana 600. I absolutely never use GPS audio directions and get my music elsewhere, which to me were the draws for the Zumos.

Meanwhile, the Montana was intentionally made to be a chameleon to be able to go from motorcycle use to hiking, kayaking, sailing, etc. I'm still getting used to it and keep getting surprised by new features. Download a different set of maps and go. Basecamp takes some learning but works. Plus, just like an ipad, you can use it landscape or portrait. Track log? Native. Don't want to pay for City Nav? (I did for the lack of hassle.) Download from OpenStreetMap.org Like the simplicity of the Garmin Nuvi line? There is a single selection that will make the display and interface emulate a Nuvi. Off the bike, when the lithium battery finally dies it will take 3 AA batteries that I can buy anywhere in the world. And after my p.o.s. Nuvi, I can SEE this screen in the day light!

The thing doesn't have the svelt look of the Zumo 665 that is mandatory for use on a FJR :p , but on a Super Tenere it rocks!

I refuse to pay a subscription fee for XM. The traffic is pretty much useless (always wrong) the radio is nice, but so are MP3s and the weather is really neat. But I can also look up at the sky and see what it's doing. Perhaps if I did more actual long distance stuff it might make more sense.

You can also get XM on a 550, but the weather is a different (low-res) presentation.

I understand your feelings on XM Fred, many do feel that way. I, however, love it. I have it in the car and an old XM Roadie and the wife has it in her car. I truly enjoy listening to the myriad of different radio stations as the mood strikes me. Toss in the addition of MP3's and man, a music lovers dream! Traffic...yeah that sucks, and I guess you are right, the weather may not be that big of a deal...not like you are in a plane to divert much. On the street you can only go out of the way so far.

Still the idea of all of that in one package is appealing.

So what about XM music, traffic, and weather? No one finds those useful on our long-haul bikes? Only the 665 has all three.
I have XM music but did not bother with traffic & weather. I live in the Great White North so weather radar is unavailable over XM and the same is true of traffic. When I'm travelling in the States I'm usually on routes that are less travelled so traffic is not an issue anyways.

I also have XM thru Zumo 550 Wife and I like to sometimes listen to different material that we would otherwise not ever think to download via tunes / mp3 format,nice to be surprised at what you thought you would not like. Still like the extensive mp3 playlist that's right there when you really want to hear that favorite road tune!

So it's been 2 yrs since the last post and Mr Tightwad (me) is about to crack open the wallet for a MC specific GPS.

Anything new to add to this thread from you folks with experience with these GPSs? Does that Montana still work great two years later? Has Garmin fixed any shortcomings in the 660? Not considering the 665 as XM is no longer that important to me.

And thanks Fred W for linking this thread in another more recent one. Currently I use a Nuvi 2555 and I enjoy it, but then again that is the only GPS I have any experience with.

So it's been 2 yrs since the last post and Mr Tightwad (me) is about to crack open the wallet for a MC specific GPS.
Anything new to add to this thread from you folks with experience with these GPSs? Does that Montana still work great two years later? Has Garmin fixed any shortcomings in the 660? Not considering the 665 as XM is no longer that important to me.
I've been having the same dilemma. I've been bouncing between the 660, the 390LM or 590LM. I've finally settled on the 390LM (which I will be ordering this week) as I can't justify the extra 3 c-notes for the 590 for the little bit of LD riding I do. I can buy a set (almost) of Denali DR-2's for the difference.

If you have a registered GPS that has malfunctioned and cannot be fixed, it can get you a significant discount on a replacement purchased through Garmin. This can lower the cost of a Zumo 590 or 665 significantly and is the best discount out there. I had a Bluetooth module go out on a Streetpilot 2820 and got my Zumo 590 for about $634. Just a thought for anyone looking at crazy list prices and has an impaired GPS in a drawer.

I've used the Montana on my dirt bike for a while now and still use the 665 on the FJR. The lack of bluetooth on the Montana is a drawback for street riding but the screen is very good and does everything I need for the type of offroad riding that I do. I would have no reservations recommending the Montana for those that use a GPS for offroad and adventure type riding but since there is no bluetooth or mp3 player the Zumo would be a better choice for the street.