Gen 1 battery removal.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gainsi

Reaction score
After 8 years & 2 months, the battery in my 2001 FJR has quit - refusing to start on a 4'C morning. Hence my question - I know that the two inner panels come off, but does any other body work have to be removed to allow the battery holder to be accessed ? MTIA.

I literally just did it 30 minutes ago. Only the two black plastic pieces on the right side need to come off...the tupperware moves more than enough to slide the battery out. Grabbing it, lifting the battery....while holding back the body tupperware is the only tricky part.

Thanks Ignacio. I appreciate the prompt reply. How long did you get out of your battery, & what did you replace it with ?
I was in there for another reason, but it would have taken maybe 15 minutes.

Went with a stock battery from Zanotti. I tried a Westco and it went bad in about a year for me. The stock one lasted me over 5.

Wow. 8 years and 2 months for a battery is great.

Did you keep it on a charger when you didn't ride?

How often do you ride?

Mine lasted 5 years.

I just bought my fjr about a month ago but it still has the original battery. its an 03 that the PO bought new in 2002. so far it seems to start the bike fine every time. I might take a peek at it just to see if it looks okay.

@ Harvey

I ride the bike once or twice most weeks, all year round in a fairly mild climate. It's not primary transport, so it never has had daily use - up to about 47,000 kms.

I've had 4 periods of about 2 months each of no riding so I charged the battery up using an Optimate 3 charger before storing it & before riding it again. I don't have it on the Optimate all of the time. I'm replacing it with a new Yuasa after talking to a car/bike battery expert even though they are about $320 down here ! He recommends CTEK chargers, but I know that the Optimate is well regarded in the UK & here.

I don't have any electrical farkles drawing current, so maybe that has helped with it's longevity. If this one lasts as long (& I'm using the bike more frequently now anyway) I'll be stoked.

much cheaper alternative...but best using duracell alkalines

534364.jpg

Done today. Easy enough job although trust Yamaha to put 3 annoying quick fasteners on a plastic inner panel covering part of the battery. Re-fixing the battery holder would be impossible with a different sized battery. Good thing it only needs doing every 8 years........ :clapping:

@ Patriot. I must be missing something with the battery holder idea.

I literally just did it 30 minutes ago. Only the two black plastic pieces on the right side need to come off...the tupperware moves more than enough to slide the battery out. Grabbing it, lifting the battery....while holding back the body tupperware is the only tricky part.
While lamenting the fact that I can't attend this year's WFO, missing appendage comparison contests and farm animal abuse, I decided to get some maintenance done on the FJR for an upcoming 2 week trip. Having a 5 year old battery with a new spare waiting to be installed, I tried Iggy's method and it worked great. I did however come up with a bit of help in lifting the battery and getting the terminal screws started. First Pic shows tie wrap through terminal (yellow note pad used as background to better show tie wrap). I used one on each terminal to facilitate lifting the battery out and then put on the new one to lower it in with no snags or pinched fingers, dropped battery etc...

FJRBattCrop.jpg

Second pic shows terminal nut with tie wrap underneath to lift up enough to easily engage the screw threads. Aftermarket nuts provided were taller than OEM, but still needed a little help getting started, especially with all the terminal ends I have stuck on mine. Not rocket science, but I always enjoy seeing time/grief savers that others post up and thought I'd throw this out there as it saved me some cussin' today.

FJRBattery002.jpg

Thanks for the pics for battery change. Plus the last time I installed battery the clip that goes on the body work flipped off somewhere and now I can't screw in the body panel screw. Where can I get another body panel clip?

Thanks,

Mick