Good Price for 2006 FJR? Need your advice on pricing - thanks.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastie

Reaction score
I have a line on a 2006 FJR1300A with 25k miles on it that appears to be in good condition, based on the pictures. I am very experienced in purchasing used bikes as I have been doing it for over 35 years. I change bikes so much that buying pre-owned is the way to go for me. So I know what to look for when it comes to previous care of the unit and potential problems that exist. I will be going to look the bike over on Saturday and will give it a good once over. i have to wait until Saturday as it is at a dealership 100 miles from me.

I just want to know from all of you whether $7400.00 is a good price for an 06 with 25k miles, if it appears well taken care of? One item that I can see that it has is Leo Vince SBK exhaust instead of the OEM exhaust.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a bit high to me unless it has lots of add-ons thrown in. Check the Classified section here and searchtempest.com for bikes on Craigslist in your region.

It's higher than you would have paid in October-December, but not not outrageous in prime season. If you want to low ball, be prepared to lose it, but there is always some room to negotiate. Comparable 2006 FJRs have sold in the last year from $6000 up, and you don't have shipping to deal with. That bike seems to on the high side of middle in asking price at this time of year. For negotiation, keep in mind this bike is due for major service at 26000 miles (valve check, coolant, plugs, pivot points etc). Compress the forks and check for leaks!

Also, searching using something like SearchTempest will give you lots of results.

2006 YAMAHA FJR1300Apr 30, 2012 ... 2006 YAMAHA FJR1300 - $7999 (COOPERSBURG) ... 1300cc fuel injected inline 4 cylinder engine. great for long trips as well as a short blast ...allentown.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 - $ 74952006 Yamaha FJR 1300 - $ 7495 - $7495 (Palmer). Date: 2012-05-14, 9:26AM AKDT Reply to: [email protected] ...anchorage.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR 1300May 2, 2012 ... Ok I have had this on bike on before and I couldnt sell due to a issue with the front tire and front forks needing rebuilt. The bike has 23353 miles ...akroncanton.craigslist.org

2006 YAMAHA FJR 1300 TOURING MOTORCYCLE ONLY - CraigslistMay 19, 2012 ... 2006 YAMAHA FJR 1300 TOURING MOTORCYCLE ONLY 3K MILES ONLY ASKING $8999 W/FINANCING AVAILABLE LET'S MAKE A DEAL ...stlouis.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR1300 blueMore info. 2006 Yamaha FJR1300 blue - $7400 (Nederland). Date: 2012-05-27, 3:30AM CDT Reply to: [email protected] ...beaumont.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR1300 BLUEMay 2, 2012 ... 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 sport tour motorcycle with 11000 miles in mint condition! . Garaged since its first day out of the showroom. Excellent ...sarasota.craigslist.org

2006 yamaha fjr1300 ae electric shiftMay 24, 2012 ... This is a very cool bike. The fjr is one of the premium sport touring bikes and this one has the optional electric shift! Only 9000 miles.madison.craigslist.org

2006 YAMAHA FJR 1300 / ABSApr 4, 2012 ... 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 with 10K miles. Adult driven, garage kept, new tires, cruise control, Brothers Two exhaust plus OEM exhaust system ...miami.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR 1300May 7, 2012 ... 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 - $6200 (Mineral Ridge) ... Yamaha FJR tank bag (yea the nice one) Pilot Road 2's WynPro air induction covers ...youngstown.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR 1300May 10, 2012 ... I'm selling my 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 with only 16700 miles. I have close to $2000 in extras into the bike. It has a V-Stream windscreen, ...sandiego.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 Sport Touring BikeApr 13, 2012 ... 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 with 10K miles. Adult driven, garage kept, new tires, cruise control, ABS brakes, Brothers Two exhaust plus factory ...miami.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR 13002006 Yamaha FJR 1300 - $5000 (Central Austin). Date: 2012-05-12, 8:07PM CDT Reply to: [email protected]. 60k miles, runs perfectly, ...austin.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR-1300Mar 27, 2012 ... Selling our 2006 FJR1300A. Here are the features: 20000 miles. New rear tire. ABS Brakes We lowered it about an 1", but I have the stock links ...boise.craigslist.org

2006 YAMAHA FJR 1300May 17, 2012 ... 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 AE. This is the automatic version and it really is a dream ride! You can ride it just like any other FJR, just no clutch is ...minneapolis.craigslist.org

2006 YAMAHA FJR1300 FJR 1300 SPORT TOURINGMay 5, 2012 ... 2006 YAMAHA FJR1300 FJR 1300 SPORT TOURING - $7000 ... books and spare key, saddle bags have Yamaha inner bag liners as well.maine.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR1300 AE fjr-1300May 5, 2012 ... 2006 Yamaha FJR1300, FJR-1300, AE electronic shift. 19,XXX miles, Silver, with newer Pilot Road 2ct tires. 1 inch handlebar risers, factory ...fortcollins.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR1300May 10, 2012 ... I'm the original owner of this 49 State 2006 model FJR1300A with under 15K miles. This is the 2nd generation FJR, identical to current model ...sfbay.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR1300May 23, 2012 ... Very well kept FJR1300. This is the bike that put the sport in sport touring. Very comfortable for the long trip, yet gentle enough to run around ...oklahomacity.craigslist.org

2006 Yamaha FJR 13002006 Yamaha FJR 1300 - $6700 (Keller). Date: 2012-05-24, 3:29PM CDT Reply to: [email protected]. Original owner, very low miles ...dallas.craigslist.org

Bought mine in November. $6000, 1400 miles, PCIII, New tires, Cal Sci Wind shield, small ding on the side of the gas tank - so another plus it came pre-scratched so I didn't have to. Another bonus was it was 300 miles away so I flew and rode (like I stole it) home.

Short version - $7400 is too much. My rule of thumb has been $1000 x year. 06 = 6000, 07 = 7000 08 = 8000

Just my two cents.

Joe

the way that I've always tried to find out a decent price is to look at Kelly Blue Book for motorcycles;

this is the link for trade in good condition: = 5010

this is the link for Retail excellent condition: = 7250

So the decision is basically, if you think the bike is worth full retail, than buy it. If not, try to negotiate. Sometimes a Dealer is willing to negotiate, sometimes not. You have to decide if it's worth maybe losing the bike as they sell it to someone else etc etc.

Given the above, the additional thing I'd do is check local craigslists and also ebay. See what they're selling for.

So guessing you probably know the above, as you say you buy and sell used quite a bit. But I don't think you'll find a consensus on opinions here as some pay retail, some wholesale, some in between, some will only buy from a dealer... etc etc.

Good luck with it, the Blue sure is a beautiful color.

Miles are good for an '06 and prices seem to be heading upward with better riding weather (duh)!

If it's a dealer, you can bet they paid less than wholesale when they picked it up. For private party, it all depends on if they want to sell it. You sound like you're experienced here, so I'd throw out a $6k offer and go from there. As mentioned, it will need service to the tune of $500 ish if you don't do that type of work yourself. In any event, use the service and condition as bargaining chips.

Good luck!

--G

Miles are good for an '06 and prices seem to be heading upward with better riding weather (duh)!

If it's a dealer, you can bet they paid less than wholesale when they picked it up. For private party, it all depends on if they want to sell it. You sound like you're experienced here, so I'd throw out a $6k offer and go from there. As mentioned, it will need service to the tune of $500 ish if you don't do that type of work yourself. In any event, use the service and condition as bargaining chips.

Good luck!

--G
Agreed, this is a bad time to be a buyer but a great time to ride! Just picked up my '06 with 17,500 miles for $7,000 3 weeks ago. Had frame sliders, factory top case, Two Bros carbon exhaust, throttlemeister, RAM mount, and a few other farkles.

Great deal...? No. Did I haggle with the P/O? Yep, he wouldn't budge a dime, I still bought it. Rode it 750 miles home and been grinning like a Cheshire cat ever since. 2,000 miles on him already!

Bottom line, for that price I'd want a few expensive farkles to make me feel better about the price. Either seat (Russell, Sargent, etc) or top case (Yamaha, Givi, etc) would be nice. If its a dealer, they ARE going to try and screw you initially! :angry2: Private party there's usually a little wiggle room. I love my '06 and wouldn't have missed a month of riding to save a few hundred.

The real expense comes AFTER you buy your Feejer... this site has a way of encouraging budget-busting purchases! :p

Best of luck shopping, it's a great bike and I only hope you get the fastest and most attractive color, '06 Cobalt Blue! :ph34r:

380180_10150899493198493_513458492_9714881_507371857_n.jpg

I just paid 7000 for an '05 with 27k on it plus it has two-brothers mufflers.
Ill be pretty close to that. Dealer is asking $7500 and bike has Leo Vince exhaust, aftermarket windshield, RAM mounts, wired for intercom and has 25k miles on it. The key...dealer is asking, so I can do nothing but go down in price and they have already started the courtship dance which indicates to me that they will come down on the price. Going to look at it tomorrow.

I'm not saying kick em below the belt but I would low ball the crap out of them... get's their mindset going in your direction :ph34r:

Goodluck!!

I'm not saying kick em below the belt but I would low ball the crap out of them... get's their mindset going in your direction :ph34r:

Goodluck!!
That has always been my standard practice. I also research the hell out of whatever bike I am looking for and usually end up schooling the sales person. Once they realize that you know what you are talking about they tend to be a little more flexible. I have already proven that to the dealership I am working with now when I brought up the recalls, the service intervals, etc., etc. My wife always gets a chuckle out of it when I correct a sales person. She has been known to tell them "I would advise that you don't try to BS him as he knows his bikes and doesn't like BS." She always goes with me when I am looking to get a bike because she says it is always entertaining.

That has always been my standard practice. I also research the hell out of whatever bike I am looking for and usually end up schooling the sales person. Once they realize that you know what you are talking about they tend to be a little more flexible. I have already proven that to the dealership I am working with now when I brought up the recalls, the service intervals, etc., etc. My wife always gets a chuckle out of it when I correct a sales person. She has been known to tell them "I would advise that you don't try to BS him as he knows his bikes and doesn't like BS." She always goes with me when I am looking to get a bike because she says it is always entertaining.
The best part of buying from a dealer is schooling the salesman! Most don't know (or care to know) what they're selling...it's all about the sale.

Good luck tomorrow -- make it a fun day! :)

--G

Paid 7500 for my 07 AE from a dealer back in February. 6800 miles and hardly a mark to be seen, no farkles though. They were asking 8K but I think they were concerned about shifting it, being an AE but I was bowled over by the design and it didn't look to have even been used in the rain.

Took it for a test run, made up my mind and just made the offer, they accepted, almost grudgingly it seemed.

No regrets whatsoever. An awesome piece of kit.

Of course your best leverage is coming up (season ending) but then you waste the summer of riding so I guess you have to justify to yourself what that's worth to you in your negotiations.

I always purchase my Sea-doo jet skiis in the winter, man do I have the advantage especially right before Xmas when dealers need the cash flow big time.

I just want to know from all of you whether $7400.00 is a good price for an 06 with 25k miles, if it appears well taken care of?
Kelley Blue Book value is $7260 (in excellent condition)

That is about a grand more than what I would consider a decent price.

Update on the purchase of the 2006. I got to the dealer (2 hours away). Saw that they had the FJR sitting in the shade and ready for my inspection. The salesman I was supposed to meet was not within site, and of course I did not go look for him, but started my inspection.

As I walked up to the bike the first thing I see is a large scratch, down to the primer (or plastic) on the front fender. The first word out of my mouth...SHIT.

I walk around the bike and start shinning the flashlight into the dark recesses. The next thing I see is grease around the steering head. Now I know there is supposed to be grease there, but on the inside, not the outside. The second word out of my mouth....SHIT.

I then look at the brakes to determine pad wear. The front are just too difficult to see with the tire in place, so I move to the rear. I can see where the pads are supposed to be, but I'm not seeing any pad. The third word out of my mouth....SHIT.

Then I notice the tail section has multiple scratches and gouges in the paint from bungey cords. The fourth word out of my mouth....SHIT.

By this time the salesman has found me. My wife actually stopped him before he got to me and told him that I probably don't want to be bothered as I am in the middle of my inspection. Then she told him, "I don't think it is going well because he keeps saying SHIT". (I love my wife) The salesman wisely stood back and let me keep looking.

I then stood back from the bike, at the rear end immediately noted that the rear tire is cupped. Fifth word out of my mouth....SHIT.

Then I noted that the previous owner cut off the rear fender extension where the plate mounts. I will admit that at this time the sixth, seventh, and eighth word out of my mouth were....WHAT THE HELL.

Then I noted that the exhaust, an aftermarket Leo Vince SBK system was obviously not made for the FJR but was made to fit by the previous owner. The mounting was crooked, all exhaust joints were leaking, and the axle bolt was digging into the exhaust can on the left side.

Now up to this point I had not even started the bike, and never did, and never completed my inspection as the ninth and tenth words out of my mouth were....NO THANKS.

It is a shame that such a good bike can lead such a tragic life in just 25k miles. So sad, so sad. The hunt continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coastie, good move.

All the things you saw, scratches, tire issues, misplaced (?) grease... and they are asking full retail?

I found my 08 on Craigslist. sounded good, talked and emailed the owner a few times, figured that only 3800 miles, what could be wrong? Flew up and found the front badly cupped. But that was about it, all else looked good.

Rode it home, about 200 miles, turned out to be a great bike. Sometimes... it seems like dealers are simply looking to take advantage of inexperienced people, doesn't it? Good luck, you'll find something decent I'm sure.

Coastie, good move.

All the things you saw, scratches, tire issues, misplaced (?) grease... and they are asking full retail?

I found my 08 on Craigslist. sounded good, talked and emailed the owner a few times, figured that only 3800 miles, what could be wrong? Flew up and found the front badly cupped. But that was about it, all else looked good.

Rode it home, about 200 miles, turned out to be a great bike. Sometimes... it seems like dealers are simply looking to take advantage of inexperienced people, doesn't it? Good luck, you'll find something decent I'm sure.
Yep. The search will continue because I really want an FJR. It will allow me to have the two bikes that I have wanted for a long time, a Triumph Tiger 1050 and a Yamaha FJR1300. I already have the Tiger, so just have to find the FJR.

I only went to look at that used 2006 because the dealer had already agreed to take my Yamaha Rhino 700Fi Sport Edition as a trade for the FJR with no additional cash from my pocket. Too bad it did not work out.

So now I will just need to focus on getting the Rhino sold, then take the proceeds and purchase a well taken care of FJR. Unfortunately the ATV/Side x Side market is not as active as the bike market, so this could take some time. Oh well....good things come to those who wait I guess.

Coastie, good move.

Yep. The search will continue because I really want an FJR. It will allow me to have the two bikes that I have wanted for a long time, a Triumph Tiger 1050 and a Yamaha FJR1300. I already have the Tiger, so just have to find the FJR.

I only went to look at that used 2006 because the dealer had already agreed to take my Yamaha Rhino 700Fi Sport Edition as a trade for the FJR with no additional cash from my pocket. Too bad it did not work out.

So now I will just need to focus on getting the Rhino sold, then take the proceeds and purchase a well taken care of FJR. Unfortunately the ATV/Side x Side market is not as active as the bike market, so this could take some time. Oh well....good things come to those who wait I guess.
Just a quick update. I found and purchased a pristine 2007 "A" model in Black Cherry from a gentleman in Deming, New Mexico. This bike is spotless. Has 36k miles on it, all warranty work done and well maintained. All for the great price of $7k. Could not be happier, and the Triumph Tiger 1050 is sharing the garage with the FJR and looking good. I sure spend a lot of time in my garage just staring at my bikes. But it makes me happy, so what the hell.