Guess who got a C-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, as much as it pains me to admit it (and I owned 3 HDs in my past), the new HD ABS is really sweet in it's execution. ... Dead simple is an understatement. Brembo components and a little bitty brain behind one side cover on the FLH models. Not linked either. And they've apparently nailed the throttle-by-wire design too. Go figure.
Brembo: Italian

EFI: ?

Suspension: Showa?

I agree, HD got it right. They subcontracted out to various foreign companies that already had that stuff sorted out.

Actually, as much as it pains me to admit it (and I owned 3 HDs in my past), the new HD ABS is really sweet in it's execution. ... Dead simple is an understatement. Brembo components and a little bitty brain behind one side cover on the FLH models. Not linked either. And they've apparently nailed the throttle-by-wire design too. Go figure.
Brembo: Italian

EFI: ?

Suspension: Showa?

I agree, HD got it right. They subcontracted out to various foreign companies that already had that stuff sorted out.
Just a WAG on the EFI, but thinking about the Porsche connection....Bosch?

interesting how one of Fred's alternative forum members wants to know whether he will sell the FJR,

" Posted - 07/12/2007 : 15:13:28 Show Profile Visit onu2002's Homepage Send onu2002 an AOL message Reply with Quote You gonna sell the FJR? Tom"

I finally got to sit on the C14 today (while picking up my sensibly priced rotor bolts :rolleyes: ) at my dealer...
One word: Fat.

Yoikes! The tank is fat, the seat is fat, the OA width is fat (lane sharing will be spooky, at best, with the bags on)...

I was checking it out on Kawi's website last night and thought, lord...that thing looks wide as a Tercel across the bags. Their website lists is as 39.3" max width across the bags. I just had to run out to the garage to measure across the FJR bags. Closest tape measure on hand was only a 3 footer, but even stretched out beyond the last hash mark, it still wasn't wide enough. If it's wider than my '04 bags, it ain't by much.

My six foot frame was pretty scrunched up on the stocker, not that that can't eventually be fixed, and dang, that thing has a seating position more akin to a sport bike than touring. I don't think I could do many continuous hours as it is.

If I could easily make one significant change to the FJR, it would be to make the riding position more sporty. If you've been riding standards or cruisers, or full-on tourers for a long time, I suppose the FJR feels "sporty". But if you've been riding (and enjoying) sportbikes for a couple decades, the FJR just misses the mark. It's been my biggest issue with the bike since day one. I find it both sad and ironic that I can do more miles in a day in comfort on my freakin' 72cc Derbi than I can on my FJR, and I've done 600+ mile days on both. My ass hurts alot more after 650 on the FJR than the same # on the Derbi, and it's all due to the pegs being much too far forward for me on the FJR. The thing about sportbikes is that as long as your neck and shoulders can take the position, the feet-back thing gets your weight off your ass and tailbone. Ask your chiropractor which position is better for your back...the answer might surprise you. The more upright position of the FJR even makes my middle back hurt because of the funky reach to the bars, and I've now tried stock, Gen-Mar, and Heli risers, and none have alleviated the problem. Sporty sounds pretty good to me.

Nope. I'll be staying with the FJR for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll consider C14 v2.0 in another 20 years. ;)

I'll be staying with the FJR for the foreseeable future because my daughter's college tuition is killin' me. If not for that, I'd probably be jonesin' for a ride on a C-14. I've got a very good friend who's determined to trade in his old Connie for a C-14, so I'll probably get that chance pretty soon, and end up wishing I hadn't.

Latest posts