Had my very own (and involuntary) Tech Day on Saturday!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruppelt

Will always be FJR rider at heart
Reaction score
I had changed my final drive oil, engine oil and air-filter on Friday to be ready for the Saturday morning ride up to Bryan and Marissa's home in Auburn.

I rode the bike out of the garage Saturday at 6:50am, then realized I didn't have the address as a waypoint in the GPS anymore, so parked the bike and walked back inside. After posting on the board I did a quick call to Steve (seventyss), who I had planned to ride up with, to tell him I would be late, and he let me know that he had the address in his GPS. So back on the bike I go, just to experience a complete non-start event. Hmmm. Time to start swearing, and since I still have plugs and helmet on it's a rather loud event. My wife comes out, waves me over and points at the neighbors house...oops.

I bring the bike back into the garage and check the battery, seems weak but ok. Search on the message board for the diag procedure, bring the diag screen up, have error 16 (at 01), throttle sensor stuck error. Weird - until I realize (thanks maintenance manual!!!) that there's a lead running by the air-filter area. So I take all of that area apart and start checking cables and connectors. I finally have the right one, but it's getting later and later (will I still make it up north today...?) and isolate the broken wire section. The wire had always been routed badly since I had the bike and always got in the way of the air-filter housing flange. So I took the time to route it properly and out of the way. Put everything back together again, just to find out that my foot shifter sensor hereby effectively had given up adjustment (I had taken the frame member off that has the shifter on it), hence it now gave me a shift_22 error on the screen. It must have been just marginally within spec before.... thanks to the manual I also learned how to properly adjust the sensor operation and put it back together as well. At this time though it's afternoon, the train to Auburn had already left the station.

Oh, the best thing about this whole affair was that I realized how bad a shape my old battery is in now (original 2006 YUASA), not holding much of a charge anymore when going into diag without hooking it up to the trickle charger.

Having read the Shorai install and discussion threads, I decided to go for it and ordered a 14A1-BS12 after some research from superbikesupply.com. I knew that vendor from another board, the battery is only $139 there including shipping. It's still back-ordered from Shorai of course, but it should be waiting for me when I get back from Europe at the end of the month. Will be interesting to see this even smaller battery in the compartment (compared to the bigger model Brodie bought), and I am very curious to see with this thing only weighing 1.8lbs if the bike will track straight now when you take your hands of the handles without you having to shift your weight way over to compensate. Not that I do that more then once every ride or so! :p

It's great to see what a fun day everyone had at the TechMeet, and I will try to get up there again for the fall event. And I will NOT do any maintenance the day before, I so solemnly swear.

We missed you Chris, if only you had not stopped to go back in the house.
Hi Ken,

Thanks for saying that! I do have a feeling though that instead of being stuck at home I would have been stuck at the Toutle Rest stop (north of Kelso/Longview) where I had wanted to meet up with Seventyss. Considering THAT possibility my own garage doesn't sound so bad....

Missed you Chris, was a very good day at Auburn's place...Glad you have the scoot figured out and are mobile again!

--G

There will be another in the Fall...glad you got it figured out and fixed.