hand cramp.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2007 fjr ,since March, ....but I can't ride the thing for more then,about an hour, before my right hand goes numb. tried handelbar risers,Crampbuster,did the throttle spring thing,got a throttle lock, even been doing my hand exercises,(spring grip thing) nothing seems to help.So I,am at the end of my rope. Is this a 2007 issue,or a FJR thing? I read Sacromento Mike's yoga riding position, that helped a little but not much, how do you Iron butt guy,s do it?? is the only answer the $1000.00 dollar Aussie McCuise control? How about a ST-1300 have any of you guy's rode them,I would give up the performance ,for longer riding comfort. please give me answers... Larry
Larry.

I'm in the same boat, except both my hands go numb. The same thing happens when driving my truck.

Several years ago I gave up on my doctor figuring it out and went to see a Naturopath. She did some testing and advised me that I have Thorasic Outlet Syndrome, basically the thorasic nerve gets pinched when my arms are in certain positions for a while. I've tried acupuncture and exercises, but no real change.

Before riding I take aspirin to help blood flow, do shoulder 'shrugs' as I ride and try to relax my grip as much as possible.

Not saying you have this, but just suggesting it may not be the bike - I had exactly the same problems when riding my 650 V-Strom, which had a very light throttle.

Good luck with this - don't give up on the FJR.

Al

I bought my bike in February and have had the same exact problem. I am happy to find it is not just me and I appreciate all of the suggestions. I was just reading another thread about the dangers of a cramp buster and am removing mine. I suggest you check that thread out before relying on that device as a solution. Great advice!!

I ride 100+ miles a week - usually one ride, and sometimes get a cramp in my right hand. I have a throttle lock which helps me work out the cramp while still riding. I just finished a 7 day, 2300 mile ride in CO. A little cramping problem the first day, but no problems for the rest of the trip. So for me, the answer seems to be to ride more and eventually, the problem is corrected. I also believe that drinking a quart of gatorade or like liquid daily as well as a glass of water with each meal helps. Sometimes I will also pick up a bottle of tonic water. YMMV.

I bought my bike in February and have had the same exact problem. I am happy to find it is not just me and I appreciate all of the suggestions. I was just reading another thread about the dangers of a cramp buster and am removing mine. I suggest you check that thread out before relying on that device as a solution. Great advice!!
That thread is here. I was pretty amazed at the responses, and a theme seemed to come out: "I thought it was only me." I have had one for a long time and have noticed the problem described in the thread a few times, and I've decided to take mine off too. I won't be selling it, either. I'll be shit-canning it. I'm now convinced the damn things are dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
My right hand goes numb after a while until I take my hand off the throttle and give it a shake. Then the feeling comes back. I keep my grip loose so it was the death grip issue. I realized it wasn't an issue with my hand, grip, leaning, etc. It was my new motorcycle jacket. It was too tight in the right pit cutting off circulation. When I lifted my hand off the throttle to give it a shake, I was releasing the pressure my jacket was pushing under my pit and it reduced my numbness. I know this might not be your problem but I wanted to give a different explanation as to what can cause hands to go numb. Make sure you have motorcycle gear that's not TOO constricting.

Part of the problem is the heavy throttle spring. That makes my hand cramp just driving to work. I even have a throttlemeister and G2. I am thinking of unwinding the spring and maybe trying out the OEM throttletube as mine came with the G2. Now, as for the buzziness.....thats a different story.

I found out I can ride longer without hand cramping if I ride without gloves. I am thinking that in spite of having already bought 3 sets of gloves, getting a pair that is comfortable for the duration, is not a simple matter.

Just did two 9.5 hour days in a row at 80 mph and had a bit of an epiphany.... my hand goes numb more with my summer gloves than my winter gloves. I compared them both on and off, side by side when I got back. What I found is that even though the summer gloves have gel in the palm, etc., the are just a bit too tight... I think the tightness of the gloves is amplifying the vibration AND causing more pressure and discomfort. Who would have thought?

Beleive it or Not...

I installed the heated grips and they cured my numb hand.

I will leave it to the collective to decide why.