Handguards?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been messing around with a set of Vstrom hand guards and trying to find a way to modify the brake and clutch pivot bolts to work as mounting points. The existing bolt head fits down into the perch and centers the pivot bolt. Because of this, I am reluctant to replace the bolt with a standard bolt. Am I over thinking this?
I bought two KLR Brake Pivot Bolts for this very reason, they have a female 4 or 5mm "nut" built into the top, they are the same diameter as the Yamaha FJR Pivot Bolts. Made it a simple install. The KLR bolts do not have a positive shoulder on the bottom so you can over tighten them and bind up your levers. I used a flat washer and a double nut to maintain appropriate clearances for lever movement. put about 50,000 trouble free miles on mine

Go to www.fjrtech.net, click "farkles" and hit on handguards for pics and part #'s
Suzuki bolt # 57431-06G00, nut #08316-10063, 2 of each
from my invoice 11/2017, part # 57431-06G00 bolt, lever (2). #08316-1006B nut (2). #08319-2106A nut (2). #09160-06130 washer (4). # 2142-06107 screws (2). These parts to fit 57541-06G10-291 and 57341-27G02-291 knuckle covers following before mentioned at fjrtech

Like Stevepep said:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2015/v-strom-1000-dl1000al5/optional-knuckle-cover-set

I ordered this kit. The only mod I had to make to fit my 2014 was to use a Dremel and widen the hole at the end of the knuckle covers where they go onto the bar end weights. Also had to add one thin washer between the end weight and the bar on the throttle side so it would not interfere with the throttle. All the other bolts, nuts, washers, spacers, pivot bolts etc were included in the kit with pretty easy to follow instructions.

These are great and I still have to put the watershed over them sometimes. Welcome to the Pacific Northwet.

44948257_10156825714964628_7445081797639012352_o.jpg

10620424_10152952925539628_4377792263060419224_o.jpg

Like RichDoyle and Mr. Lumberg, I installed the Barkbusters last fall. I commuted to work through the winter here in Idaho in temps down to 15F. With the heated grips and insulated/armored gloves, my hands stayed toasty. I like that they wrap nearly halfway around the grips for wind protection. Not the most stylish, but they work very well and are simple to install and remove.

20190126-112001.jpg
Which Barkbusters are these?  They look different from the Storm guards I've seen online.

FJRFlyer said:

“Which Barkbusters are these?  They look different from the Storm guards I've seen online.“

––—––––––––––––––––––––––––

BarkBuster Blizzard 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-blizzard-universal-handguards

I have had them on my ‘08 Advanced Edition for more than 3 years now. Originally I put them on for the rainy season out here on the Left Coast, but they work just as well in triple digit weather during the summer months too. My light weight gloves stay dry in heavy rain – so long as I keep moving; and when in the hot desert they keep the hot air blast off my hands. The added bonus is when I use my grip heaters I can actually feel them. 

Easy on, easy off, and they only cost a C–note. I be a happy camper with them.

Brodie

😁

What's this spacer thats been mentioned regarding the vstrom hand guards? I just Installed mine and found no issues.

FJRFlyer said:

“Which Barkbusters are these?  They look different from the Storm guards I've seen online.“

––—––––––––––––––––––––––––

BarkBuster Blizzard 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-blizzard-universal-handguards

I have had them on my ‘08 Advanced Edition for more than 3 years now. Originally I put them on for the rainy season out here on the Left Coast, but they work just as well in triple digit weather during the summer months too. My light weight gloves stay dry in heavy rain – so long as I keep moving; and when in the hot desert they keep the hot air blast off my hands. The added bonus is when I use my grip heaters I can actually feel them. 

Easy on, easy off, and they only cost a C–note. I be a happy camper with them.

Brodie

😁
Thanks.  Dang, out of stock at Revzilla and Twisted Throttel.  Found some on fleabay for the same price, but they want $50 for shipping!

^ Gonna put them on the list.  I installed the newer version of the 'Strom guards on my '15 and while they look nicer than the older ones I had on the '04 (more stylish looking) they seem to sit a bit lower and don't cover the hands as well.  Was thinking about attaching some sort of extensions top and bottom mainly for rain coverage but those Blizzards might just make things easier.

Part of why I like the Storm version is the ease of installation and removal. I came close to buying the blizzards before going with the storms. I went with storms because they appeared to be more robust. I think the blizzards provide more of a capsule of warm air. Can’t go wrong with either in cold weather. 

I used these on my FJR for several years, Easy to mount if you bore out the Bar end hole the stock bar end weight will fit through properly.

I found some Clutch/Brake Pivot bolts that had the requisite shoulder and appropriate sized threaded portion which enable me to mount the inner ends properly.

After a couple of years I went to the VStrom hand guards which I found to provide slightly better wind and rain protection  than these less expensive universal handguards.

As always YMMV

I had the FJR "knuckle visors" on my 2010. They did keep some rain off the hands, but unlikely to be as effective as "proper" guards.

(Click on image for larger view)

Without and with knuckle visors

Some more pics here.

Trivially easy to fit, they simply clamp on to the mirror stalks.

Shows clamping screws

Pricey (I got them free as part of my purchase deal, so cost me nothing), and (IMHO) ugly. I took them off.
Hi mcatrphy

If you don’t use the knuckle visors , I’m interested to have them from you ?

thanks to let me know