Has anyone tried Pennzoil for Diesel engines?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeLine

Reaction score
Here's some more fuel for the never ending 'what kind of oil should I use tread'. I recently tried Pennziol 15w-40 for diesel engines and trucks. Only noticable thing is when the engine is fully warmed up the clutch on my AE seems much smoother when pulling away from a dead stop. Any one else use this oil or any comments (or warnings)?

Never tried Penzoil products. The Chevron Dello 15-40 is execllent. Used it for 6K mi till I switche to Amsoil.

per google search:

Four motor oil brands for diesel engines will remain in distribution despite Shell's acquisition last year of Pennzoil-Quaker State Company, the company announced. The brands were kept because each has its own distinct and loyal customer base.

whatever that means relative to the formula of the PAO and additives... FWIW

Here's some more fuel for the never ending 'what kind of oil should I use tread'. I recently tried Pennziol 15w-40 for diesel engines and trucks. Only noticable thing is when the engine is fully warmed up the clutch on my AE seems much smoother when pulling away from a dead stop. Any one else use this oil or any comments (or warnings)?
My last oil change on my gsxr I went to Rotella. I use it in my Cummins and I can get it pretty cheap at WalMart so I said why not. It comes highly recommended for the diesel and many have used it in motorcycles with no issues clutch related.

I think I actually noticed some bit of smoothness in the engine once I switch, could be hopeful Thinking.

I see no reason not to continue to use it but I may just switch to Royal Purple at my next oil change just because a friend sells it... Rotella will treat you just fine!!

Thanks for the info. My son just got some Mobil 1 for his VMAX. 6.99 at Pep Boys. The Pennziol was 2.99. I'm willing to do a lot more frequent oil changes at that price which I figure is better than going longer with 'better' oil.

Just checked on the web to see where I could get Rotella. Looks like you can pick it up at truck supply outfits for about 2.89 a quart. I've also been using the Pure One oil filter so oil changes every 2k - 3k miles is probably not unreasonable at those prices.

I read my owners manual again the other day and it says specifically not to use oil meant for diesels. I know alot of people use this oil so what is up with that warning?

2006 Owner's Manual page 6-15:

Do not use oils with a diesel specification of "CD" or oils oils of a higher quality than specified.
2006 Owner's Manual page 8-1:

Engine oil: Type: YAMALUBE 4 (20W40) or SAE 20W40

Recommended engine oil grade:

API Service SE, SF, SG type or higher.
Confusing isn't it? Depending on how you read those, they could be construed to contradict themselves. One could almost think that Yamaha wrote those statements with the intent of creating enough FUD to get people to buy their overpriced "Yamalube" product.

FWIW, "CD" is an ancient, obsolete spec. Modern diesel oils are "CI", and will soon be "CJ". I have have a jug of Rotella T synthetic 5W40 here. It meets the following specs:

CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SJ and SL.

It does not claim to meet CD. And since SJ and SL are higher than SE, SF or SG, this diesel oil does seem to qualify as OK under the "or higher" clause on page 8-1.

See also:

https://www.api.org/certifications/engineoi...ard_English.pdf

And:

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

-Uwe-

Last edited by a moderator: