HD makes a "Sport Bike" well almost....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
secondary to the contrived image of the "lifestyle" (which is totally free)
For once I get to finally disagree with you Fred. Do you have any idea how much those assless chaps cost? And if you want to really be living the dream, you have to buy your biker babe a pair.

It gets expensive to keep up with HD Jones'.

Wow...Another Harley that "can walk away" from those stupid Japanese bikes, FJRs included. Color me unimpressed. If I'm gonna be that uncomfortable on a MC, it's gonna be on a frigging MV Agusta.

Alright I admit it, I have owned a Harley and a Buell. And as much as I hate to admit it, I really like both of them. A lot ... JSNS

12592390_10154147252374628_1554527689430703486_n.jpg

92 Buell and a 84 XR1000

For once I get to finally disagree with you Fred. Do you have any idea how much those assless chaps cost? And if you want to really be living the dream, you have to buy your biker babe a pair.

You are spot on there. It is only free to the purveyors of the lifestyle. It is quite expensive to those trying to maintain it. ;)

I was at the Idaho Motorcycle Show last weekend. Speaking of assless chaps, I saw one older dude who was keeping his up with suspenders. But the suspenders did not have the H-D logo anywhere. Coffee almost came out of my nose.

You have to realize that here in York,PA near the Harley final assembly plant and in Milwaukee at the engine plant a 3.3 gallon tank is more than enough to get from one bar to the next.

JSNS

FredW, what I'm saying is that H-D is selling an image, and motorcycles, apparel, and events are only the mechanisms for their customers to achieve that image. Motorcycles, riding gear, their version of NAFO, and assless chaps are how they sell the image.

Think of it this way: the H-D image is of an outlaw, free spirit, non-conformist, "seeker of freedom". And yet, their subculture has a rigid code of how to dress, what to ride, where to ride, how to behave, and even their own lingo. That's not being an outlaw or freedom seeker, that's just conforming to a different image than a suit-wearing middle manager.

And they're marketing wizards, because you can even buy H-D neckties to wear with your middle management suit.

Last edited by a moderator:

no expense to fix her teeth tho.....

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1304603" data-time="1461152093"><p>

<strong class='bbc'>FredW</strong>, what I'm saying is that H-D is selling an <em class='bbc'>image</em>, and motorcycles, apparel, and events are only the mechanisms for their customers to achieve that <em class='bbc'>image</em>. Motorcycles, riding gear, their version of NAFO, and assless chaps are how they sell <em class='bbc'>the image</em>.<br />

<br />

Think of it this way: the H-D <em class='bbc'>image </em>is of an outlaw, free spirit, non-conformist, "seeker of freedom". And yet, their subculture has a rigid code of how to dress, what to ride, where to ride, how to behave, and even their own lingo. That's not being an outlaw or freedom seeker, that's just conforming to a different <em class='bbc'>image</em> than a suit-wearing middle manager.<br />

<br />

And they're marketing wizards, because you can even buy H-D neckties to wear with your middle management suit.</p></blockquote>

Yep, I know a few of these free spirited outlaw non conformists. They get home from a grueling 20 mile ride with stops at 4 bars, park the bike for another week in suburbia, take off the leather vest and HD boots and replace them with Nike shoes and a under Armour wicking T-shirt, iPhone, and a set of Ray bans. True non conformists. Talk about giving the finger to the man. Wow! Impressed.

As the saying goes, "everyone wants to be a lion until it's time to do lion shit" .

These guys are friends of mine but I just have to chuckle sometimes. I pull up sometimes when others from their circle show up and they look at my FJR and say "what the hell is that thing?" .

I'm introduced as the crazy guy that rides all over the place. An enigma. WTF?

To each his own but I still think 30 grand to dick around and never go anywhere is a fools errand. But, I may be wrong. I just don't see it.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some lion shit to do. It's a long way to Starbucks.

what I'm saying is that H-D is selling an image, and motorcycles, apparel, and events are only the mechanisms for their customers to achieve that image. Motorcycles, riding gear, their version of NAFO, and assless chaps are how they sell the image.
I once heard Jimmy Buffet compared to H-D for this very same reason.

Seat Height:

Laden 29.5 in. (749 mm)

Unladen 30.9 in. (785 mm)

Seems a bit excessive, doesn't it? Especially since the 'models' riding the bike in the promos, look like they weigh a buck-50.

Seat Height:Laden 29.5 in. (749 mm)

Seems a bit excessive, doesn't it? Especially since the 'models' riding the bike in the promos, look like they weigh a buck-50.
That's with the topless biker chick laying on the tank facing him.

C'mon man, keep up!

Seat Height:

Laden 29.5 in. (749 mm)

That's with the topless, 225#, leathery (apparel & looks) biker chick laying on the tank facing him.
C'mon man, keep up!
Fixed. :whistle:

Don't want a Motor Company bike, really want the lifestyle, can't afford the togs. Ripped the sleeves off my Olympia Dakar high viz jacket, cut the ass out of my Airglide 3 pants, put a skull sticker on my Shoei. Hauled ass down to the local BABD (Bad Ass Biker Dudes) bar on my FJR with the open slash cut pipes, saving lives along the way.

Nobody would even talk to me. WTF!
sadsmiley.gif

Sigh....always on the outside looking in.

A gathering of those faithful to The Motor Company© bears a significant resemblance to any Star Trek or Stars Wars convention one may venture too. The only real difference being the costumes the participants are wearing. I would hazard a guess that many of the participants may very well be the same as witnessed by this sight at the Harley-Dite Roundup awhile back in Sturgis.

Humans are conformists by nature. All of us want to fit in. We may find some other group's style choices a little funny, and it is certainly ironic to hear a group that conforms as much as the HOGs do to each other, claim that they are "free spirited individualists." But we all tend to do whatever it takes to go along with our chosen groups. Or maybe the people with the same sense of style tend to congregate?

Case in point: Last weekend there was a small group of local FJR riders who got together for an impromptu RTE. All 10 of the riders and passengers were wearing HiViz Yellow jackets, including me and my wife. Yeah, there is some sound logic to wearing HiViz gear, but when 100% of a group is doing something there is some level of conforming going on.

Mr. Pot: "Hey Mr. Kettle. You sure are looking black today."

Humans are conformists by nature. All of us want to fit in. We may find some other group's style choices a little funny, and it is certainly ironic to hear a group that conforms as much as the HOGs do to each other, claim that they are "free spirited individualists." But we all tend to do whatever it takes to go along with our chosen groups. Or maybe the people with the same sense of style tend to congregate?
Case in point: Last weekend there was a small group of local FJR riders who got together for an impromptu RTE. All 10 of the riders and passengers were wearing HiViz Yellow jackets, including me and my wife. Yeah, there is some sound logic to wearing HiViz gear, but when 100% of a group is doing something there is some level of conforming going on.

Mr. Pot: "Hey Mr. Kettle. You sure are looking black today."
Yeah, but the HD mantra is "rugged individualism".

As far as I know there may be some individualists here, maybe a lot. But I get the sense that we are practical people looking for what works, even if that means wearing the same dress to the dance, I mean same HiViz wear to the ride.