He Came From Out Of Nowhere

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
This morning about 0530 hours, we get responded to a medical aid call about 3 miles from the station. Approaching an intersection to a major thoroughfare, against a red light in my direction (I'm planning to stop if necessary before breaking the intersection), I hit the siren and suddenly a motorcycle appears sideways in the lane ahead of me. He was stopped at the light and must not have had any tail lights to speak of. He was very visible once he turned and headed for the curb. He must have known he was invisible from behind because he sure had 'the move' down. All four of us were watching and nobody saw him until he moved. Dark jacket, dark helmet, but good reaction skills. Maybe he'll make it, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm sure glad I put on the bag reflector panel kit and the LED Brakeflasher. Gotta consider that reflective tape kit for the Givi box if it becomes available. Y'all be sure your ass ends are well lit! End of safety lecture, back to the fun.

Thats why I have Dean's reflectors on my bags: https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=41

But I need to add something for when I don't have the bags on which is more than 50% of the time. Probably something below the license plate and above the stock reflector. Fortunately my JR jackets and back of helmet have reflective material; but I don't think you can have too much.

I have the bag reflectors love em.

Also refective's on my Helmet.

one of my fears is getting hit from behind.

course the biggest problem in Denver is the

Yahoo's running red light's. I see it every day

...course the biggest problem in Denver is the Yahoo's running red light's. I see it every day
It's not just Denver....self-entitled cagers everywhere in the U.S. suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I put the tape on my bags as well, plus a silver helmet and both of my jackets are partially reflective. You just got to give yourself all the chances of being seen that are available. In addition to it being dark, sleepy drivers, people drinking their coffee, popping in a CD, talking on the phone, and putting on their makeup make the morning commute extra dangerous.

All the above and keep it in gear, that way when you realize the person coming from behind you isn't going to stop you can zoom out of the way faster than if you have to put it back into gear first.

I ordered the bag reflectors before I even had the FJR home, and my helmet and leather jacket are both white. (no snickers please - you think riding with the cruiser crowd is bad when you're on the FJR, try pulling up in white leather)

I've been wanting some sort of rear flasher - anyone have any opinions, which brand is better? I've been looking at Hyperlights, but the one mentioned above looks good also.

Any have any experience with the "plug in" LED's? You can just pop out your standard bulbs (if the FJR's are 1157's, I'm not sure) and pop in the LED clusters..

Any have any experience with the "plug in" LED's? You can just pop out your standard bulbs (if the FJR's are 1157's, I'm not sure) and pop in the LED clusters

I did add the LED 1157 and 1156 bulbs, but did not like the results and took them off.

Here are pictures of the comparisons

FJR07sm.jpg

FJR08sm.jpg

Left bulb is standard 1157, Right bulb is Super Bright LED lamp with brakes off and on.

This comparison is obvious. I just did not wish to sacrifice LED watts saving for safety visibility comfort.

My Webpage

Hope this helps! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: