Heading West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot

Reaction score
My bike is loaded in the garage and I'm leaving first thing in the morning. Heading to Cody, Wyoming for two days to visit the Buffalo Bill Museum. I'm supposed to meet two friends there, but one is on the road and having problems and I don't know if he is going to make it. The other is making his way from Alaska where he lives and I'm pretty sure he'll be there.

From there, heading across the Bearstooth and on to north west Montana to visit some more friends. I'll be in the Polson area for a few days, then wander my way back to Kansas City. I'll post pictures along the way.

I stopped in Scottsbluff Nebraska for the night. Due to thunderstorms, I got a room. Any excuse is a good excuse to not pack a wet tent. That gave me 600 miles on the day. The bike gave me 41 mpg in the process running at or 5 to 10 over the speed limit. I'm happy with that.

As for Chief Joseph and Bearstooth, that is one of favorites, but I may be going into Yellowstone for a couple days. I obviously will have to take Chief Joseph to get there,but I won't complain.

I talked to Matt last night and he is a the campground in Cody, so I don't have to wonder about him. My other friend that was dragging a trailer behind his truck from Arkansas is headed home after losing a wheel off the trailer due to sheared lug bolts.

Beautiful morning here in Buffalo Bill State Park campground. I'm sitting in the doorway of my tent drinking my coffee while looking at mountains. Clear and cool here, probably about 50°. A nice change from the rain I rode through yesterday to get here,

The view:

16870035342405081891654684345901.jpg

Visited the Buffalo Bill museum today. If you have an interest in firearms, it is quite the place to go. The Native American exhibits are fantastic, as well, as are the wildlife displays.

Tomorrow we're heading to Yellowstone via the Chief Joseph Highway.

Beautiful morning here in Buffalo Bill State Park campground. I'm sitting in the doorway of my tent drinking my coffee while looking at mountains. Clear and cool here, probably about 50°. A nice change from the rain I rode through yesterday to get here,

The view:

View attachment 4711
Following your story as next year I'm off on a similar one. I call it my one lap of America. My questioin today is: What do you use to make your coffee in the morning? Looking for something small enough to pack on a bike.

Answer to coffee question. A pocket rocket stove, a one pint pot, and an MSR coffee filter. The filter rests in the cup. I fill it half full of grounds and pour hot water in until the cup is full.

Right now I'm sitting at the laundry facility charging batteries at Canyon campground in Yellowstone NP. We rode through rain right after the high point on the Chief Joseph. Matt had never done Beartooth, so we rode to the top before turning around and going into Yellowstone. 35°, windy, and snow at the top of Beartooth. Rain is forecast for the next 3 days here. We leave Wednesday morning when it is suppose to clear up.

If you would like a cup of great tasting coffee on the road, you might also consider the Aeropress Go. The packing size is about the size of a larger coffee mug, and very lightweight. All you need for it is some hot water, and coffee of course. I have the full size version of it and use it when my wife and I travel. Aeropress Go Travel Coffee Press Kit - 3 in 1 brew method combines French Press, Pourover, Espresso - Full bodied coffee without grit or bitterness - Small portable coffee maker for camping & travel https://a.co/d/46GoEAc

My bike is loaded in the garage and I'm leaving first thing in the morning. Heading to Cody, Wyoming for two days to visit the Buffalo Bill Museum. I'm supposed to meet two friends there, but one is on the road and having problems and I don't know if he is going to make it. The other is making his way from Alaska where he lives and I'm pretty sure he'll be there.

From there, heading across the Bearstooth and on to north west Montana to visit some more friends. I'll be in the Polson area for a few days, then wander my way back to Kansas City. I'll post pictures along the way.
If you are going to be spending time in Polson you should take a ride around Flat Head Lake. It is quite scenic. Not sure how much time you are able to spend on your trip but since you are not that far from Glacier National Park it is well worth your while to make that journey. You will never regret it. Safe riding and hopefully clear weather.

As a note to prospective riders who have not toured the Pacific Northwest, do it in late August or first week of September. I have done it a half dozen times and the chance of rain is minimal. I tried doing it once in early June and found the Beartooth was closed due to snow.

I travel with a large coffee mug. First thing in the morning I walk around campground smelling for coffee. Then I strike up a conversation and bum a cup ! Camp hosts if there almost always have some or rv's. About Glacier NP, you can't get on going to the sun highway during the day without reservations, but at 5:00 they open up to everybody.

Highway 56 in far western Montana is an awesome (35 mile) route between US 12 and MT 200 and if you want relief from the rough highway along Koocanusa, there is the old highway on the opposite (west) side of the lake that is awesome. Kootenai Falls west of Libby is worth the time for a visit. WATCH FOR FOREST RATS IN WESTERN MONTANA! YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL.

After 3 days of cold wet weather, we loaded up to head north. And my bike would not start. The panel would boot up and the starter would spin the engine, but no start.

The day before I rode with the heated grips, heated seat, heated vest, and auxiliary lights on. I suspect the alternator could not keep up with the load and the battery is old. No one had jumper cables at the campsite, so I called AAA for a jump.

The bike fired right up and I got the plastic back on with the bike running. On north we went. The low where we camped Wednesday morning was 25°. Time to find warmer weather.20230618_103841.jpg

If you would like a cup of great tasting coffee on the road, you might also consider the Aeropress Go. The packing size is about the size of a larger coffee mug, and very lightweight. All you need for it is some hot water, and coffee of course. I have the full size version of it and use it when my wife and I travel. Aeropress Go Travel Coffee Press Kit - 3 in 1 brew method combines French Press, Pourover, Espresso - Full bodied coffee without grit or bitterness - Small portable coffee maker for camping & travel https://a.co/d/46GoEAc
I have one of those but decided not to bring it due to space constraints.

I forgot to mention that after we rode CJ, we rode to the top of Beartooth, then turned around into Yellowstone. It was wet and very windy at the top with poor visibility and 35°.

After leaving Canyon Campground, we proceeded out at West Yellowstone. We made Polson about 5:00pm.

This morning the bike failed to start again, so off on a battery quest with a friend. I took the old battery with me so I could make sure it was a match. We made 5 stops with no luck finding a match, but 3 of the places told me their battery was the battery their book called for.

The battery on my bike was 3 inches wide, but all their batteries were 3.5 inches wide. I finally found the right one at Batteries+ in Missoula after I bought one of the fatter ones just to see if it would work. All is well now.