Headlight modulator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mention you are an FJR board member and get a 10% discount from Kissan. Ian, Iowa

I live in the middle of darkness around here, and high beam comes in very handy on remote roads.
I'll also add that the importance of a HM for me is not only for being seen by other drivers but by animals. Deer respond to two things... noise and FLASHING light. I can recall multiple personal experiences where the HM was a significant factor; they are grazing roadside, hear the sound of the bike, look up to see the flashing light, then move away from it... or they don't hear the bike but pick up the flashing light and move away from it. Add to this scenerio my other must-have (Stebel air horn) and I feel I'm as armed as I can be for whitetail Bambi and for Bambi in her SUV who is grazing on a burger, screaming at kids, yada yada yada....

As an aside, does anyone know which units are capable of modulating on high AND low beams independently? (meaning you can run the HM solely on low beam or select only high beam). Thanks

AGirl

That is a significant factor since white tails are still considered endangered around this area. We have a forest the size of Rhode Island (the county I live in is the same square miles as Conn.) around here and I've seen more deer on the FJR than I did on my loud piped cruiser. I need to rethink this. How much are the units in general? for those with the Comagination, does the non-adjustable light sensor have drawbacks, since I like the idea of compactness.

EDIT: Found this webpage explaining the concepts and comparing different units: Clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all! At about 4:00 p.m. today, moved it into the garage and it stopped flashing! Works for me! Easy to install and easy to hide. Did not need to remove all the plastic either!

Zodiac said:
Not at all! At about 4:00 p.m. today, moved it into the garage and it stopped flashing! Works for me! Easy to install and easy to hide. Did not need to remove all the plastic either!
Hey, one last thought for you though! The Comagination which I installed above will not flash at sunset as the test I did today with my garage, so you may need the adjustable one to keep it on longer into sunset to scare those deer away, because I only see them when the sun is setting!!!

So the flashing could possibly prevent a biker blending in with the cars behind them. Anything you can do to raise your visibility is a plus in my mind.

As far as the highway and getting a ticket for speeding, I just don't go faster than the fastest car, but have contemplated switching to low beams on the turnpike.

Exactly. A modulaor is a weapon :assassin: I know being obnoxious :clapping: will save your ass.

Not only CAN you, according to the DOT rules that define what is a legal modulator, you MUST. Any modulator that doesn't auto-disable at night is illegal to run in the US.

Thanks for the input. Has anyone put one in on an FJR? How hard is it to get to the headlight bulb? As I understand it the modulator plugs in between the bulb and the motorcycle.
had to pull plastic on my 06 my hands are large and could not access

Anyone used the Kisan Headlight modulator. It's supposed to be plug and play for the FJR. Modulates the high beam. As an aside, do you think this is a useful safety feature?
Dutch1201
Some thing you might want to think about. In the daylight test sections in California; head on collisions went up during the day, which is why, when they published to reports back in the seventies they stated;" Head on collisions were reduced in a 24 hour period". Relying on your headlights to be seen is a false sense of security. Wearing out your headlight bulbs by changing the voltage up and down just means you may not have them at night when you really need them. Remember this too, Human beings see by reflected light, our depth perception is reduced when we look at emitted light. That is why most people will not pass at night when we see headlights. We can't tell how far away they are, because we don't have a point of reference. Please be careful out there, and keep the rubber side down.

First time I ever saw one I was driving my truck; I didn't know what the hell it was. Got mesmerized and the poor biker almost had FORD printed on his helmet. So I've been spooked on the idea. Wouldn't want some 80-year-old retired Californian wondering what that UFO is......

P.S. Nothing against Californians, just have a boatload of retired ones around here in Southern Oregon.

I've been thinking about getting one for my FJR. I had a Kisan HM on my VTX (before I sold it) and I feel it made a difference in being noticed. It was a pretty easy install on the VTX but I think it'll take a little longer to install on the FJR. The one I had came with a light sensor to cut out the modulating function at night. The light sensor (night time cut off) was pretty sensitive and adjustable thru a sequence using the high beam switch and the ignition. I had it adjusted so that just passing under a "good" size bridge would cut out the modulating.
K
Now that cutoff switch at night sounds more promising, as they are not as dangerous (IMHO) in daylight. But it still might bug somebody I'm stuck behind in traffic.
The guys in my riding group swear by the modulator and they definitely increase visibility.
p.s. could you mail me a S Oregon real estate brochure - retirement is only a few years away - hah

First time I ever saw one I was driving my truck; I didn't know what the hell it was. Got mesmerized and the poor biker almost had FORD printed on his helmet. So I've been spooked on the idea. Wouldn't want some 80-year-old retired Californian wondering what that UFO is......

P.S. Nothing against Californians, just have a boatload of retired ones around here in Southern Oregon.

I've been thinking about getting one for my FJR. I had a Kisan HM on my VTX (before I sold it) and I feel it made a difference in being noticed. It was a pretty easy install on the VTX but I think it'll take a little longer to install on the FJR. The one I had came with a light sensor to cut out the modulating function at night. The light sensor (night time cut off) was pretty sensitive and adjustable thru a sequence using the high beam switch and the ignition. I had it adjusted so that just passing under a "good" size bridge would cut out the modulating.
K
Now that cutoff switch at night sounds more promising, as they are not as dangerous (IMHO) in daylight. But it still might bug somebody I'm stuck behind in traffic.
The guys in my riding group swear by the modulator and they definitely increase visibility.
p.s. could you mail me a S Oregon real estate brochure - retirement is only a few years away - hah
I hear northern Oregon is more of a hot market now .......... (go away) LOL

How much are the units in general? for those with the Comagination, does the non-adjustable light sensor have drawbacks, since I like the idea of compactness.
EDIT: Found this webpage explaining the concepts and comparing different units: Clicky
Cost was retail about $150 for the dual Comagination, but I managed to find a used one for about half that from a fellow Feejer owner who moved on.

I used to mess with the settings on the Kisan regularly, but I have no complaints about the non-adjustability of the unit I have.

Be aware that the 'special features' of the Diamond Star that they mention are no longer available as they were illegal. He says it, but it is easy to miss - and he doesn't mention the comagination at all.

Relying on your headlights to be seen is a false sense of security. Wearing out your headlight bulbs by changing the voltage up and down just means you may not have them at night when you really need them.
Actually, assuming that US bikes work like Canadian ones and have their headlights on when running, because you are flashing your high beam, there is considerably less wear on the low beam.

And the waveform applied to the bulb pretty much eliminates thermal shock - the beam ought to last longer than just shining it at full voltage full time.

Hey, one last thought for you though! The Comagination which I installed above will not flash at sunset as the test I did today with my garage, so you may need the adjustable one to keep it on longer into sunset to scare those deer away, because I only see them when the sun is setting!!!
Note that the rules require that you not flash within a half hour of sunrise or sunset and they've specified a sensitivity for the photocell. Extending the timing can be done and I'm certain no one will ticket you if you adjust yours. Just something to keep in mind.

I have the Comagination unit on my '05, run it all the time unless I'm in a group ride or traffic, and also wouldn't ride without it. The first time you realize that someone didn't make that left because they saw you, the device has paid for itself.

The install is trivial (at least for the Comag unit) No plastic or lights to pull - it's plug and play.

"Wearing out your headlight bulbs by changing the voltage up and down just means you may not have them at night when you really need them. "

Kisan modulators restrict amperage they do not vary the voltage. They said a test unit has been running about a year 8-9 hours a dy. The affect on lamp life is zip. I love mine. It has saved my butt many times. :D

"Wearing out your headlight bulbs by changing the voltage up and down just means you may not have them at night when you really need them. "
Kisan modulators restrict amperage they do not vary the voltage. They said a test unit has been running about a year 8-9 hours a dy. The affect on lamp life is zip. I love mine. It has saved my butt many times. :D
Restricting amperage does cause voltage to vary - in fact using the mandated waveform, voltage across the bulb is varied from 17% of nominal to full approximately 4 times per second.

And, because you are varying the high beam filament, even if it did impact on bulb life, the low beam remains unaffected.

I wouldn't be without my modulator. When I first installed it three years ago, I had a lot of Red Neck road rage directed at me. Twice, a car crossed over the center line & came at me with their lights flashing. Once a car slammed his brakes on in front of me with no traffic ahead of him on an empty road. After I passed him he speeded up and followed my with his flashing lights.

I now only use the modulating high beams when:

-there is a vehicle ready to turn left in front of me.

-there is a vehicle on a side road waiting to pull out.

-when entering a high traffic density intersection.

Otherwise, I don't use them any more than necessary to avoid annoying others. They are a real attention getter.

dobias :glare:

Not only CAN you, according to the DOT rules that define what is a legal modulator, you MUST. Any modulator that doesn't auto-disable at night is illegal to run in the US.

Thanks for the input. Has anyone put one in on an FJR? How hard is it to get to the headlight bulb? As I understand it the modulator plugs in between the bulb and the motorcycle.
It was a 10-15 minute job to install the Comagination modulator on my 2005 FJR. Getting to the connections is not difficult unless you have oversized hands. It's plug n play, no special wiring.

I have had one on my FJR from day one and just turned 68K. Very easy instal. I put the photo sensor cut off behind the ignition (key) and zip tied it to the wires that come from the left side of the handlebar. That is a perfect spot. It is bellow the panel and will cut off sooner in low light conditions and will also not get hit by high beams from other cars and trigger it to flash.

I read the post about people that hate these things because they are annoying. Yes they can be ... BUT ... if i can be seen by anything that has the potential to KILL YOU in a moving vehicle I would rather have that advantage of BEING SEEN. The last 3 bikes I have had all had the kisan. I have been hit 2 times on the freeway in los angeles and both times i did not have the light on. with the Light on I have had many close calls but not been hit. That is not to say they did save me but..... there is a time and place to turn it on.

In LA there are certain times of day when traffic has no flow and people are all over the road.. usually a 2 hour window in the morning and 2 to 3 hour window in the evening.. During these times the thing is on and i have noticed i have been seen and it has saved me. Most of the day outside of these times i leave it off as to not piss people of... Use it to be seen and not to annoy and everyone will be happy.

As for the legal side it is legal in all 50 states. Some states allow for there use (prior to the federal law). The nice thing about the federal law it states how the thing is manufactured and some additional things placed on the unit... one being a placard that indicated power output. The kissan has this placard. Some law enforcement do not know it is legal.. If they offer to site you kindly take the ticket and then go to court and it will be thrown out. Two cases with the CHP for me in California I took a copy of 14 CFR to the CHP and they took the ticket back. If you do get stopped ask for the name of the training officer that over sees the officer and go to that person and you will not have to go to court and they will learn from it. Remeber it took a lot of people dying on these things we ride to come up with a great safety item.

I personally will NEVER own anther motocycle with out one!! :)

Anyone used the Kisan Headlight modulator. It's supposed to be plug and play for the FJR. Modulates the high beam. As an aside, do you think this is a useful safety feature?
Dutch1201
yes.

yes.

yes.

yes.

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Dutch1201
yes.

yes.

yes.

yes.

VisitedStatesMap.jpg
gunny +1 I put one on my bike and have been very pleased with the result. It is almost impossible to be ignored. I do switch to low beams if I'm in traffic and behind the same vehicle for an extended time. I highly recommend having a modulated headlight.