Headlight Q - 9003 - HB2 Sylvania

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About two years ago, I replaced the oem bulbs with Sylvania 9003 HB2 bulbs (Silverstar Extra). I had read that they might be a bit fragile, and prone to a short lifespan, but I tried them anyway. They are whiter color and brighter than orig, so I was happy with them, and made a note to check them regularly in case they went out early or unexpectedly. Since the FJR has dual headlights, I felt the risk was low.

Yesterday, I was getting ready to come home from work in the dark (1st time this year w/ Daylight Savings time gone). When I started the bike, headlights were off / did not illuminate. I usually run in High Beams on all the time in daylight, and switch to low beams at night, so the bike was still in high beam mode from the morning commute.

When I switched to low beams, both lit up. Switching back and forth to test things, the high beam(s)? seemed to flicker a bit for just a second, but would not stay lit, and the low beams would stay on. I was also hearing a mild "crackling" while I was closely watching the high beams trying to illuminate. I rode home on low beams, no problem.

Today, I check again, and the high beams will not come on at all. It is possible that one high beam failed earlier and I did not notice until yesterday, when the other might have failed.

I figure I can test the bulbs with a ohmmeter, but the crackling sound concerns me. Are there relays or other components that might fail by me substituting these bulbs? Or is the crackling the death rattle of a bulb?

Lastly - I see Philips Motovision bulbs which seem to be engineered for bikes and the higher vibration they have. Assuming the bulbs test bad (high beams), anyone have experience with these?

Thoughts are appreciated!!

About two years ago, I replaced the oem bulbs with Sylvania 9003 HB2 bulbs (Silverstar Extra). I had read that they might be a bit fragile, and prone to a short lifespan, but I tried them anyway. They are whiter color and brighter than orig, so I was happy with them, and made a note to check them regularly in case they went out early or unexpectedly. Since the FJR has dual headlights, I felt the risk was low.

Yesterday, I was getting ready to come home from work in the dark (1st time this year w/ Daylight Savings time gone). When I started the bike, headlights were off / did not illuminate. I usually run in High Beams on all the time in daylight, and switch to low beams at night, so the bike was still in high beam mode from the morning commute.

When I switched to low beams, both lit up. Switching back and forth to test things, the high beam(s)? seemed to flicker a bit for just a second, but would not stay lit, and the low beams would stay on. I was also hearing a mild "crackling" while I was closely watching the high beams trying to illuminate. I rode home on low beams, no problem.

Today, I check again, and the high beams will not come on at all. It is possible that one high beam failed earlier and I did not notice until yesterday, when the other might have failed.

I figure I can test the bulbs with a ohmmeter, but the crackling sound concerns me. Are there relays or other components that might fail by me substituting these bulbs? Or is the crackling the death rattle of a bulb?

Lastly - I see Philips Motovision bulbs which seem to be engineered for bikes and the higher vibration they have. Assuming the bulbs test bad (high beams), anyone have experience with these?

Thoughts are appreciated!!
Just a couple of comments, I doubt the headlight dipper relay's life would be significantly affected by the different bulbs, but it could of course fail anyway, though they are normally pretty reliable. It's also been reported that a second bulb will commonly fail within a matter of hours after the first fails.
The crackling is cause for concern, unless it's the failed bulb itself. Could be the relay contacts or a connector between relay and bulbs.
I'd suggest checking the bulbs' continuity, if ok then check for voltage on the headlamp connectors, obviously with engine running, both dipped and main terminals, dipper switch flicked as necessary.
Unlikely to be a ground connector or main headlight relay since your dipped beams are working.

Crackling might have been the filament making momentary contact but might be a socket going bad. I had one do that on my 2007. Pretty well toasted! Worth checking.

20150801_124734.jpg