Helen, GA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StexFJR

Reaction score
My dad who lives in Pensacola (a wing rider) has a time share condo thing in Helen, Ga. I'm riding up to meet him in Sept. for a week of riding. I'll be coming from Texas. Is there a better way to get to Helen rather than going through Atlanta? Or is the Atlanta traffic nightmare talk just b.s.? I'm allowing 2 days to get to Helen coming from deep south Texas. First night in the Hattiesburg area, then on to Helen the next day (Sunday). Any advice from you folks in the area?

Dewayne Finn

McAllen, Tx

2004 FJR/ABS

Last edited by a moderator:
Dewayne,

The stories about the traffic here in Atlanta is certainly not BS. It can be a nightmare at times (or more correctly MOST times). It only takes one small incident and all bets are off. There are not a lot of secondary routes so most people are forced to the main highways. Sundays can be hit-or-miss. Some construction project or one accident and you could easily lose 1-to-2 hours sitting in traffic. If I was riding that route I would head north toward Huntsville and head east across the mountains. There are some really nice roads in NE AL and northern GA. Feel free to contact me off-line (bullcbx(at)comcast.net) if you like and I might be able to help with a route you would be comfortable with. It would certainly take longer, but there are some nice roads to enjoy.

BULL

Atlanta-(Loganville), GA

Atlanta traffic is the real deal, really doesn't matter what time you go thru there. On a bike, you're fair game for the Atlanta cagers. Continue north on 59 (assuming you'll be riding the big slab from Hattiesburg) to the Gadsden / Ft. Payne AL. area and go east on side roads from there. There's a number of good roads there that will get you to Helen.

My dad who lives in Pensacola (a wing rider) has a time share condo thing in Helen, Ga. I'm riding up to meet him in Sept. for a week of riding. I'll be coming from Texas. Is there a better way to get to Helen rather than going through Atlanta? Or is the Atlanta traffic nightmare talk just b.s.? I'm allowing 2 days to get to Helen coming from deep south Texas. First night in the Hattiesburg area, then on to Helen the next day (Sunday). Any advice from you folks in the area?
Dewayne Finn

McAllen, Tx

2004 FJR/ABS
September is Octoberfest time, so traffic will be a bear around that area. You might try coming in on 11 from the North end to save some time.

Oh, and take new rubber....... the roads in the area are fantastic! Was down there last weekend and had a blast. Saw several FJR's including a nice guy I chatted with on an 06. Sweet bike.

AFWIW.... you are about 70 miles from the Dragon I think..... I would NOT miss that opportunity.

Look here for the Oktoberfest schedule. But don't worry about it too much. The terrst from the city only know a couple of ways to get there and there are actually several. Helen itself will be a mass of folks but you'll be fine once you get out of town a bit.

To get there from Texas without slabbing through the metro crawl, just deviate to the north. Find your way to Chattanooga, more or less, then you can either go ahead and veer south into GA or head east across eastern TN/western NC. The TN/NC option would put you on some great roads including the Cherohala if you like or you can just follow US 74/64 to the east for a while. Its a 4 lane divided job in places but a very scenic trip also. Watch the speedo as NC is known to patrol it kind of heavily at times. When you get to Murphy, NC watch for US 64 to split off to the right and follow it (take a left there for an entertaining detour back into the hills around Lake Hiawassee. Go till it deadends (ignore the gravel road warnings, trust me), turn left, go till that deadends (over the dam) and turn left again, go till that deadends and you're back at 64/74 about 8 or 9 miles from where you started). Follow 64 east till you get to hwy 175. Turn south. That road will become GA 75 (NOT I-75) when you cross the state line and will take you into Helen from the north.

Another option from the Chattanooga area is to take I-75 south into GA and then turn off on US 76 East at Dalton. When you get to Chatsworth, watch for GA 52 to split off to the east (left). This is a really nice ride across Fort Mountain. Follow it all the way to Ellijay and then get on 515/5/76/Zell Miller Mountain Parkway etc headed north. Follow the signs from there to stay on US 76 until you get to Hiawassee, GA and watch for the aforementioned GA 75 south which, as above, will take you into Helen.

Except for the little jaunt across Fort Mountain, the second route is much more boring slabbiness than the first but is probably a bit quicker. Either option will keep you well clear of the metro area. Traffic through Chattanooga can be a bit heavy if you hit it at rush hour but is not even in the same league as Atlanta.

On the other hand, if you just want to get there quick, don't be too afraid to blow right through Atlanta. If you hit it outside of rush hour (rush hour is 6-9 am and 3-7 pm mostly), it isn't that bad. Be patient, be very very very alert, know where you're going before you get there so you aren't caught in the wrong lane and you'll get through it pretty painlessly. I-285 (the perimeter loop) can be quicker than going into the heart on I-20 and then north out of the city on 85 but is also much more likely to grind to a total halt due to some snafu. The through town route is always slower but less subject to crash blockage. But if you don't have a good bit of urban expressway riding experience, it is NOT a good place to learn. Beware the 75-85 split headed north out of town. Its backwards. I-75, which leaves Atlanta headed northwest, goes to the right and I-85, which heads northeast, goes to the left. Don't ask me why. I don't know. I think it was a joke the DOT decided to play on out of towners.

My $.02. Well, OK maybe it was $.52 but I've lived here a long time and have a lot of opinions about it.

Enjoy north Georgia. Ride the 129/180/60/19 squid loop if you must - great roads - but watch out for the Mitty's on their GSXRRZXRS's and also the constabulary chasing them.

Wally and the rest, thanks for the help. Slight change looks like I'll be coming up I-85 instead. Gonna try and make it to Mobile the first night. Since its a Sunday I'm gonna chance going up I-85 to 985. I've had lots of experience with freeway traffic, though I respect Atlanta's reputation for occasional gridlock.

Won't be bad on a Sunday mid day. About 300 miles from Mobile to the metro area. Right through the gut is definitely the short and direct route. Watch for the signs as you approach town. They put up warnings of any significant traffic problems but there shouldn't be any that last. But keep your head on a swivel through downtown. The merge from I-85 onto the I-85/I-75 connector is tricky. ALL of the I-85 lanes eventually end so don't dawdle around. Go ahead and start merging to the left but watch for the idiots that wait till the last second and then almost stop. There's an HOV lane that you can use all the way through town. And remember, I-85 goes to the right when you get to the north side of downtown and the area where is happens can be very very chaotic because so many people are caught off guard by it.

Enjoy.

Won't be bad on a Sunday mid day. About 300 miles from Mobile to the metro area. Right through the gut is definitely the short and direct route. Watch for the signs as you approach town. They put up warnings of any significant traffic problems but there shouldn't be any that last. But keep your head on a swivel through downtown. The merge from I-85 onto the I-85/I-75 connector is tricky. ALL of the I-85 lanes eventually end so don't dawdle around. Go ahead and start merging to the left but watch for the idiots that wait till the last second and then almost stop. There's an HOV lane that you can use all the way through town. And remember, I-85 goes to the right when you get to the north side of downtown and the area where is happens can be very very chaotic because so many people are caught off guard by it.Enjoy.

One more change. I'm leaving here (Texas) on Friday the 15th of Sept. I hope to be in Helen Saturday afternoon. If you see an 04 with a Givi trunk and a pewter colored 1800 wing. That'll be my dad and I. We run channel 1 on the CB. My Sprint cell is 956-451-0666. Maybe I'll run across some of ya'll while I'm up there.

Take the FJR member assistance list with you. Should you run into trouble, there will be some of us close by.

I went through Atlanta to Helen on Labor Day weekend. Went I-20, I-285, I-85, I-985, and did it pulling a trailer behind the feej. Wally is right about the traffic. You may hit a slow-down or two, but pay attention and you will be okay.

If you take 129 off 985 up through Cleveland, and go through town up to 75 , you can come in on the back side , nice road ,less traffic. This will put you at the north end of town. Also accessible from 75 is the Richard Russell Parkway which is a blast.

You can also stay on 129 go up over Blood Mtn, a local favorite twisty, and hang a right towards Brasstown Bald and hit the Richard Russell from the opposite side and ride in that way , much more twisty and loads of fun.

If you take 129 off 985 up through Cleveland, and go through town up to 75 , you can come in on the back side , nice road ,less traffic. This will put you at the north end of town. Also accessible from 75 is the Richard Russell Parkway which is a blast.
You can also stay on 129 go up over Blood Mtn, a local favorite twisty, and hang a right towards Brasstown Bald and hit the Richard Russell from the opposite side and ride in that way , much more twisty and loads of fun.

Nidan, I appreciate that. I know those locations you mentioned we are planning to ride.

Take the FJR member assistance list with you. Should you run into trouble, there will be some of us close by. I went through Atlanta to Helen on Labor Day weekend. Went I-20, I-285, I-85, I-985, and did it pulling a trailer behind the feej. Wally is right about the traffic. You may hit a slow-down or two, but pay attention and you will be okay.

Where is the assistance list?