Help w/ used FJR purchase decision, please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
I posted the same questions on my 1st post on the New Member forum but wasn't sure that forum would get much traffic from people in a position to answer my questions, so to repeat myself:

I'm a new member looking at sev'l used FJRs. I'm focusing on ABS/non-AE because I own sev'l bikes and am afraid that my mind might play tricks on me as I switch back and forth from bike to bike, and 2007 because I like the black cherry color. I have a number of questions:

1) Are the changes made from 2007 to 2008 significant enough to assign them much weight in a purchase decision?

2) What kind of mileage on a 2007 would be considered "high" and lessen the bikes value? The bikes I'm looking at range from 3K to 22K miles and I could imagine problems at both ends of the spectrum.

3) What modifications might void/limit an extended warranty - Helibars triple clamp/risers, Barbarian jumper mod, fuse box, G2 ergonomic throttle, etc?

4) Is the redesigned Helibars triple clamp so much superior to the original w/ added risers that it would be better to consider a bike without the original and assume the cost of adding the redesigned?

5) Would there be much of a market for a used Russell Day-Long heated seat w/ driver backrest (including passenger pillion which I'm not sure is just recovered or may have a "generic" re-build)? A bike I'm looking at has this seat which I think is fugly (the stock seat also come w/ the bike) but I'd sacrifice looks for comfort and am willing to give it a try. Ditto, re: A Givi E52 top trunk?

Thanks in advance for yor help.

1) No.

2) There is no 'one' mileage. It's a linear thing when talking mileage vs. price. 22k is nothing on an FJR.

3) None of the above

4) I don' know

5) Russel is the king of custom seats. Once you try it, you won't want to get ride of it. FUGLY or not.

You'll be able to sell the Russell seat pretty quickly. Try to get measurements of the people it was made for, height, inseam, weight.

I ride with the stock bars, no risers or anything. I'd give it a shot and see if you like it stock and determine what the best solution is for you. I haven't been following threads on Heli-bars, but it seems like overkill.

I have a number of questions:4) Is the redesigned Helibars triple clamp so much superior to the original w/ added risers that it would be better to consider a bike without the original and assume the cost of adding the redesigned?
Depends...: I have a friend who bought a used ST1100 (sport-touring Honda) that had aftermarket & expensive handlebars installed. After many rides, he just couldn't come to grips (punny...) with them and re-installed the stock h/bars (they came with the bike). They (the stock bars) worked fine for him and he couldn't understand why the P.O. changed them....(Depends...?).

5) Would there be much of a market for a used Russell Day-Long heated seat w/ driver backrest (including passenger pillion which I'm not sure is just recovered or may have a "generic" re-build)? A bike I'm looking at has this seat which I think is fugly (the stock seat also come w/ the bike) but I'd sacrifice looks for comfort and am willing to give it a try. Ditto, re: A Givi E52 top trunk?
The Russell Day-Long may be designed for (and certainly has a reputation for) cross-country, cross-state-boundaries, use (maybe the FJR, too, for that matter?). If your intended use is not such, it may not be the best fit? :unsure:

Thanks in advance for yor help.
Yor welcome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!! Have I mentioned that I'm selling my '07? It's in perfect condition and I am now asking only $9500.... If you are interested check out my listing in the classifieds on this forum...

Chris

welcome to the gang dude.

I am just going to add a quick +1 to SkooterG's post. Modern bikes should be relatively low maintainance and long lived. I am pretty sure that the kinds of mods you describe should not affect the warranty and generally shouldnt if they are not modifications of the actuall stock components (i.e. drilling out cans or air boxes would not be a good idea but slip-ons and a K&N filter are going to be ok).

What you want to do with any used bike your considering buying is establishing whether it has been down hard or not. Check the forks, bar ends, stator cover, rear break lever missmatched/oversprayed paint on bags/cowling etc. If it looks suspicious it prolly is.