Hey bro, wanna take my bike for a spin?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texan

Rollie Reincarnated
Reaction score
My brother in law is one of those mindless cruiser lovers. He seems content to limp along at 55 on a Suzuki M50. Today at the family Easter gathering, I thought I might tempt him to the fun-side of biking with a spin on my FJR.

So, he spun off to have his fun and returned only 10 minutes later. "Pretty fast, isn't it?" I asked. "Handles like a dream, too, huh?" He muttered something like "yea, but it sure is heavy." I was talking to my father at the time so the brother-in-law tossed me the keys and walked on by.

A few minutes later he said "hey, come here, I have to tell you something." "I dropped it. It's heavier than I though and it just went over on it's side."

Thankfully, the scratches were very minor - almost unnoticeable and I've already broken out the touch-up paint to fix it.

I don't think I'm going to let him ride my new ZX-14.

Good on ya forr being so generous!

While i have offered my FJR to friends, It is a chance we take and hope that they can handle the differences. I know this much, After riding the FJR for 4 years, i cannot ride a cruiser for the first 5 miles due to it handling SO much different.

I rode a new Goldwing 2 weeks ago, And had the same learning curve. VERY foreign feeling at first.

My brother in law is one of those mindless cruiser lovers. He seems content to limp along at 55 on a Suzuki M50. Today at the family Easter gathering, I thought I might tempt him to the fun-side of biking with a spin on my FJR.

Thankfully, the scratches were very minor - almost unnoticeable and I've already broken out the touch-up paint to fix it.

I don't think I'm going to let him ride my new ZX-14.
Hey Texan, Mighty nice of you to let your B-I-L take your FJR for a spin. Look at it this way, it could have been worse. Besides, when you have an FJR and a ZX-14 in the shed (what else in in there?) ................what's a few scratches?? That's what family is for :rolleyes:

Did he offer to fix it? If I dropped someones bike I would get a quote and have it fixed. No, would not be an option. Family or no family it is the right thing to do.

Do you have frame sliders? Just wondering if that would have helped, or if you have them, how much they helped.
I don't have sliders, but his leg acted as the slider. But he wasn't sliding, since he toppled at a stop light.

The damage was so minor that I've already done the touch-up work and it's (almost) good as new.

Did he offer to fix it? If I dropped someones bike I would get a quote and have it fixed. No, would not be an option. Family or no family it is the right thing to do.
Yes, he offered to fix it. He's a straight up guy and can afford the fix, but I've got decent touch-up skills (lots of practice) and it looks fine now.

Do you have frame sliders? Just wondering if that would have helped, or if you have them, how much they helped.
I don't have sliders, but his leg acted as the slider. But he wasn't sliding, since he toppled at a stop light.

The damage was so minor that I've already done the touch-up work and it's (almost) good as new.

Yes, he offered to fix it. He's a straight up guy and can afford the fix, but I've got decent touch-up skills (lots of practice) and it looks fine now.
You sound like a pretty cool guy. All is well that ends well.

My brother-in-law let me ride his fairly new SV650S. My main thought was do no harm. He hasn't been riding very long and was relying on the bike for commuting. Nice little bike, but the ergos aren't for me. Too much weight on the wrists. Nice torque and power for a little bike. Not sure he'd be 'comfortable' on the FJR, but I'd let him ride my FJ.

Yes Texan I agree witcha. Sheet metal, plastic, and paint are a lot easier to repair than family ties. Love a cool head!

After all, he gave up his leg on the drop and you gotta give him credit for being able to pick the bike back up. That's no easy task right there! :eek:

VPup

+1

And if you have a Zx14 why didn't you go with him to set the pace? Many a Cruiser riders have wadded up FJR's on their first 'test' ride.

Rich from KY? Care to chime in here? :)

Yes Texan I agree witcha. Sheet metal, plastic, and paint are a lot easier to repair than family ties. Love a cool head!
After all, he gave up his leg on the drop and you gotta give him credit for being able to pick the bike back up. That's no easy task right there! :eek:

VPup
+1

And he told you what he did instead of you finding it on your own and denying that he did it. :closedeyes:

Looks like you and he sorted this out. Good on both of ya.

I had the same experience with my ST1100, which I'd had for a week. My brother-in-law laid it down almost immediately right in front of me. Broke the mirror and scratched the side case. We all ran over. My main focus was the bike, my sister's focus was her husband. he was fine.

He paid $600 to fix it. I haven't offered him a ride on the FJR!

The only time my Feej was dropped was by a riding buddy. He and I were on a southwest tour and, as is customary, agreed to swap - me on his FZ1 and he on my FJR. He killed it on take off (not used to the clutch actuation) and dropped it within his first three feet of forward motion. Damage was cosmetic and slight, but he moped for a couple of hours until I stated: "Look, this is every bit as much my fault as yours. I agreed to the swap. I agreed to take the risk. You can let this ruin the rest of the trip or put it behind you and focus on enjoying the ride." We had a great time but did not swap bikes again.