Hey, I'm a true "redneck"...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hughes

Reaction score
So I just turned 50 and my doctor says that I am going to need a few tests. So my first stop is the dermatologist for a strip and look see. I got good grades from the neck down but from the neck up I got something in a tube that I put on from the neck up every night. This stuff keeps skin cancer cells from reproducing. Well damm if this stuff isn't shredding my neck and face skin and I don't have skin cancer just "pre-cancer". So my neck is really red, in blotches and it ain't pretty.

Well let this serve as a heads up that you want to do this at 40 not 50 because there are lots of areas where it is having no effect at all or just a little effect and it would be a heck of a lot better if the first time that I did it was 10 years ago (or more!). Next I go to the gastroenterologist... wonder what that will be like?

Sorry to hear about that, Bob.

Never heard of 'pre-cancer', but that's gotta suck. I need to start wearing sunscreen more often, but I don't like it...gets in my eyes, greasy feeling, etc.

I sure hope your trip to the gastroenterologist goes well.

Best Wishes.

Never heard of 'pre-cancer', but that's gotta suck. I need to start wearing sunscreen more often, but I don't like it...gets in my eyes, greasy feeling, etc.

Best Wishes.
Unfortunately the best sunblock with PABA is hard to find...

a few people were alergic to it, so they threw a fit.

If you find an alcohol based sunblock at least 40... that should work.

Wal Mart had one that was in a silver spray bottle, worked very well.

I can't remember the name of the one I used when I lived in Hawaii...

oh, and be sure to put it on first thing, don't wait until you go outside.

Mary

Wishing you the best.

I'm just past 50 and my doctor is getting all kinds of ideas that I'm having a hard time with.

Doc-Your over 50 and it's time you get a colenoscapy.

Me-Says who?

Doc-Colenoscapy's are recomended when you are over 50.

Me-By who?

Doc-By the doctors that do them.

Me-Don't you think that is a little self serving? If I changed oil for a living don't you think I'd recommend you do it every thousand miles. How do I know they are right?

Doc-You also need another blood test.

Me-Says who?

Doc- Your cholesterol levels are high.

Me-How high?

Doc-50 points too high.

Me-Who determined the acceptable level.

Doc-The drug companies through research.

Me-Don't you think that is a little self serving? If I changed oil for a living don't you think I'd recommend you do it every thousand miles. How do I know they are right?

Doc- You can go now.

Me-What about the extra tests.

Doc-Forget it your fine.

Me- Thanks see ya next year.

:D

As little as we like to talk about it and as much as we like to make fun of it, getting a colonscopy is important as is the PSA blood test for prostate cancer. Don't put it off and get 'er done.

Thinking about the colonscopy is the second worst part of the whole deal. Not eating for the day before and the "prep" procedure the night before is the worst part of the ordeal. The actual colonscopy is a non-event since you sleep thru it. Don't be afraid to get it done. Getting a colonoscopy now is a lot easier than dealing with the possible consequences of not finding a problem early.

Same with the prostate cancer test. Just a simple blood test but you have to go in and get the blood drawn. Over 50 you do need it every year as the year-to-year comparison of the PSA number is much more important than the actual test score at any given time. Two close friends have had prostate cancer identified very early by the PSA test and both of them had PSA numbers that were still in the "safe" zone, but, because of the yearly comparison, the scores identified something had changed and cancer was found and dealt with. Much easier when it it is that early.

My doctor says that with prostate cancer it is not a matter of "if you will get it"....only "when you will get it"....if you are a male, of course, LOL.

I've had close family members and friends deal with both colon cancer and prostate cancer (or both) so it scared me into gear to have an actual physical and colonoscopy. So I can report to you, purely as a public service, that it is not a big deal and that both should be taken quite seriously. The scary part of it is that another of my friends volunteered for a prostate cancer reasearch program and had a biopsy done to validate his negative protate cancer results with PSA and digital exam. Turns out he HAD prostate cancer and the tests did not show it yet. That just underscores the need for yearly testing.

End of public service announcement....... :) :)

Besides, the drugs they gave me at the colonoscopy were wonderful. And legal.

Next I go to the gastroenterologist... wonder what that will be like?
Polyps......and the test for them ain't fun. Ranks right up there with determining if you have an enlarged prostrate. Things are inserted in places things shouldn't be. :unsure:
We played that game in the office along with a check of my testitcles :eek: I get a little jumpy when I hear the snap of a rubber glove going on...

I don't want to be the guy who pays for advice and does not take it, so I will play along and see what comes of it.

Best Wishes.
I use this stuff when I teach and ride. Have never gotten in my eyes. And it works. spending whole day on the parking lot teaches you to protect your self.

336205.jpg

Good luck Bob

Or you could be like a good friend of mine. 35 years since he'd seen a Dr., started a little change in his bowel functions and paid little attention to it. Finally got so bad, he relented and went to the Dr. Now he's had a bowel resection to remove a cancerous tumor the size of a man's fist, and 9 months of chemo therapy, every other Tuesday goes in for chemo and when all done, hopefully he will see 55.

Or my receptionist, just had her 53rd Bday, and she has stage 4 liver cancer that started in the colon. If she sees 55 it will be a miracle. Oh, and chemo every 2 weeks as long as they can keep her alive. She's loosing 3 pounds a week of mostly muscle mass.

And My Point Is. Colon Cancer can be detected 97% of the time if proper screening is done. The proceedure is simple, painless and quick. And if you check out good, like I did, you don't have to go back for 10 years.

Your Call, good luck.

Over the years, (and 50 was a long time ago), I've had several young female doctors for my physical. My problem, (besides the obvious), is that I have never been able to convince them that they should take all their clothes off before doing the exam. When I ask one if we could trade examining each other she laughed so hard we had to start over. I was in a funk the rest of the day.

OLD Phil

Over the years, (and 50 was a long time ago), I've had several young female doctors for my physical. My problem, (besides the obvious), is that I have never been able to convince them that they should take all their clothes off before doing the exam. When I ask one if we could trade examining each other she laughed so hard we had to start over. I was in a funk the rest of the day.
OLD Phil
I had a couple of "pre cancerous spots on my forehead. Went into the Dr. and she froze them and they have not returned. Painless and quick. Not sure if this applies to your situation.

OLD Phil
Ain't it a bitch when you first realize that the opposite sex considers you to be harmless?

jim

Thinking about the colonscopy is the second worst part of the whole deal. Not eating for the day before and the "prep" procedure the night before is the worst part of the ordeal. The actual colonscopy is a non-event since you sleep thru it.
(snip)
I had my first colonoscopy last week and this is the absolute truth. The night before is the worst part. That effects of that prep stuff are pretty damn impressive. I think if I had grabbed my ankles, I could have put out a forest fire a mile away.

The colonoscopy itself was no more difficult than taking a nap. I woke up in the recovery room asking, "You've already finished?!?" And that included the removal of six polyps.

The second worst part for me is that the prep day and the procedure day were the two nicest weather days here since November. I could have been riding. :angry2:

When you go in for the colonoscopy, be sure you lie to the nurse about your weight (lie heavy); you'll get more drugs!

It's really not that bad. Good luck.

My doctor says that with prostate cancer it is not a matter of "if you will get it"....only "when you will get it"....if you are a male, of course,
My wife's grandfather was diagnosed with prostrate cancer at the age of 75. Apparently there are at least two kinds and he had the kind that grows real slow. The doctor told him that they didn't recommend removal of the prostrate because he would die of old age before the cancer would kill him. He died in 2007, at the age of 103, and it wasn't because of prostrate cancer. :blink:

Please don't view that story as an excuse not to have tests done. Different people different outcomes.....your mileage may vary.

I heard a joke once about the difference between young guys and old guys. Young guys deny any knowlege of masturbation......old guys brag about it.

Reading this thread makes me want to change the joke to: Young guys deny any knowlege of a colonoscopy....old guys brag about getting one.