Hid Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I've started reading some of the long distance riding sites, expecially the IBA, and they discuss HID lights. Are these replacement bulbs for our headlight bulbs or are they separate fixtures? How about PIAA lights, I understand they're separate - anybody have any experience/recommendations?

For the FJR you're going to be talking about additional fixtures (meaning driving lights) is Warchild's example. Cula de gato I think is the Spanish version of Cat's Ass!

Or another installation example since some modification is needed at Here.

PHIDs are the deluxe and definitive answer for tons of light for little wattage. They're made by Philips and imported by Catfish Racing. They're $700 price range.

There may be headlight bulb conversions out there, but concensus seems to be that since the H4 bulb is a purpose built unit for halogen technology and houses both the high and low beam--the conversion either limits you to a single high replacement and bulb shrouds. Clunky and decidedly non-FJR.

The other option and you're probably meaning with the word PIAA is which halogen options there are. PIAA is, of course, a manufacturer of driving lights and the long-time staple of the community has been the 910 model. No longer manufactured, there are some still around for sale new in boxes--at a price. Remember that going the 910 route may mean tapping out the alternator of juice with the 110 watt bulbs.

Other models include the 1000, 1100, 1100-XT, etc. Cyclegadgets is a good site.

Another options in the economy route are Hella brand FF50. Clicky here for some pictures. I personally have these installed and am happy for the combination of value $40 for lights, some people have found brackets for $30, they produce a pretty good cone of light (NO way a substitute for PHIDs though), and look pretty good on the bike. The 55w times two eats into my alternator reserve, but doesn't tap it out.

This help frame your research a little bit?

I'm asking for PHIDs for Xmas though......for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HID lights most people are talking about are sold by Catfish Racing. These are the ones that Warchild dubbed "The Eyes of GOD" when he first used them. They are very bright and give off alot of light. I've got (had actually) a set and I agree with him that they are VERY bright lights. Definately don't want to have them on with any traffic on the road.

On a side note, I've been looking at experimenting with HID replacement bulbs of my headlights, but am worried about glare and blinding oncoming traffic. I may end up buying a set of bi-xenon bulbs and giving it a try anyway.

:lol: When I saw your Topic Title of Hid Lights I thought youy were trying to be funny by saying Head Lights in a goofy way . Just an observation . :D

IGNACIO - that's a great start, thanks :D I'll be doing some more focused research, thanks again.

There may be headlight bulb conversions out there
I converted my PIAA 910's with an HID H3 conversion kit off e-bay, they're

McCulloch 4th generation units with 5300K H3 bulbs. I made a low-ball offer to a

seller called "HIDSELLER" of $150. I saw that he was selling these

things pretty cheap in his history so I thought what the heck.

I didn't win the auction but he came back with a "second chance

offer". E-Bay lets the seller do this in cases where the winner

back's out of the sale. I don't think the winner backed out, I think

the seller found a way to sell multiple units without having to pay

to relist the product.

Anyway, I had them in less than 60 hours and they were really easy to

install. They were available in any bulb configuration.

5300K was the lowest temp he carried. When they burn out I'll look for

some 4700K's. That should be in about 20 years I guess. :chicka:

I think I might have the cheapest HID lights ever, and they work GOOD!

The ballast set-up on the PHID's is pretty sweet.

If you've got an old set of driving lights around, or even pick up some of

those Hella FF jobies and convert those you could have some pretty good

lighting on the cheap.

The mounting brackets and lights in that link look very trick. I think that they would be a good choice between extra light and melting your alternator like some of the other lights on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to rain on your parade, but figure out how much amps is going to take away from your electrical circuit when you use these lights, add heated vest, gloves, GPS etc, you may not have enough to keep the FJR going.

One more post and I will be at a 100 :D

The HID use LESS amps than other lights, that's the beauty of these lamps. Less stress on the alternator too.

Just to give you an idea how bright HID lights are. I have a single (small) Nightrider HID light mounted on my bicycle. The light itself will fit in the palm of your hand. On night I was riding my bicycle down a bike path (no motorized vehicles allowed) that runs along side a busy road, but is not connected to the road in anyway. A cop saw the light on the path and thought I was a motorcycle (on the bike path) because the HID was as bright as a motorcycle's headlight.

The only downside is that the Nightrider HID light runs about $400. Many baja motorcycle racers use them mounted on their helmet.