Honda Goldwing Peeping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
I had a customer come into my store this morning with a 40th edition 'Wing (I think he said it was a '15?). Anyways, we chatted back and forth for about an hour, plus, he was very interested in my K16 (I know, I'm supposed to be working!?).... slug~!

GoldWing_2015_09.jpg

So, after much adoo-do, he ended up trumping my Beemer, especially once he said he had an airbag, I really wasn't meaning it to be a competition however. I told him that I've always admired the 'Winger (I know all the other couch-like names etc, lol), but, when I said "my g/f now thinks she's coming on every single trip now", and "boy, your machine would be sweet crossing the Mid-Western plains" (etc, etc)... I then asked him how it does on the twisties. He came back with "Oh it loves curvy roads!". OK, so I know the difference between twisty's and curvy's, but I really couldn't get a feel on how aggressive (or not) that he was on his bike. His idea of "loves curvy roads", and mine (and yours here), just may be a world apart, or, maybe not?......

With that being said, from our Sport Touring Community here, and the one's who own the Hondapotomus maybe... what is your feelings on this big boy on the more aggressive roads?. It looks like it's got some lean angle, certainly a lot more than my buddies HD's with chrome dangling everywhere.

I'm wondering?

1.) Is the 1000 miles of pure comfort offset when you reach the mountains? Or, can it suffice well enough and maybe so that those comfortable miles prior make it worth the additional slow-downs needed to comprehend the sharper turns. hmmm? I know there's a trade-off, how much of one is what I'm basically asking.

2.) I know that this GW platform has been out for awhile, to me it seems like forever, but anyone know of any upcoming new major revisions? (I can wait for this garage addition if there's word of a new model coming).

AND, before you guys start firing bullets at me, this would be an "add-on" to my current toy collection, not a replacement. I really like the FJR and K16, no need to bring in any scrubs to replace them (yet!).

I've sat on, and even rode a couple of "couches" before, but, nothing anything close to aggressive, more parade style with supervision always staring at me. lol.

DSC00924_zps58d56b6a.jpg

BTW- Weather is balmy here today, easy 60's, kind of breezy tho. I just may have to take a ride this afternoon and play work hooky!

:)

But dangit!, now I've got new toy fever! :(

I've followed Bugnatr around on his Wing and he can throw that thing around in the curves... it definitely will do whatever you want it to do even if it is a full-figured gal. ;)

Look at this.......Google Yellow Wolf and Dragon. A number of vids out there.
Yellow Wolf did some amazing things on his Goldwing, including 1000 miles in 24 hours on the Dragon, but he was very up front that none of it would have been possible without the Traxxion suspension upgrades.

KJ, I also sat on that black one at Two Brothers, last year at NAFO...price tag said $15k, that was quite a deal
hmmm? I thought it was 20G?. Anyways, the salesman told me if you add the security, sound and navigation pkgs etc, (loaded) it gets close to the 30G's. But, for 15K? that would of been very hard to pass up.

I've followed Bugnatr around on his Wing and he can throw that thing around in the curves... it definitely will do whatever you want it to do even if it is a full-figured gal.
wink.png
I likey yur way of thinking!
smile.png

What was the part about the G/F coming on every trip?
Yeah, she thinks she's now a ST gal, lol. The hypo would be premo for her back there (sleeping).

A Goldwing handles surprising well for such a heavy bike, even better after you write a big check to Traxxion to correct the under sprung suspension, but in the end there isn't any way to overcome the laws of physics.
I have a hard time writing those 2nd checks, especially after knowing the 1st one was quite a big one, and then I need another to make it right?. <stubborn>

Ahh, the physics part, and, I'm sure the tire wear will be magnified if I try to ride it more like a ST bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not ritchie-rich like Don Stanley, I did however just sell a Magento based (php shopping-cart customized software) to a customer (online vendor) for $45K. I wanted 60K, I spent over a year on it from ground up. I got what I could I guess, well, in this economy anyways. Some corporate B2B (that's not FredW's Back to Basics btw (lol), but rather Business to Business) shopping cart systems; loaded and customized to client needs/desires, all with multi-tier pricing, lots of modules, hit upwards of $100K, some over $250K. (hey, someday maybe!). Magento Enterprise if any php-coder wants to pickup the hobby.
smile.png

I could finish up my (de)construction on my house I guess instead of the new toy, but what fun is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Wing for a bit and felt cramped and you're taller than me.

I didn't make an effort to fix it.

See if you can get an extended test ride on one before you decide.

My .02...

*edit!*

Don't test ride with a pillion. Seriously. Gold Wings are designed from the back seat up...

Fly to CA, rent a hippo, put 3k miles on it over a couple of weeks and see coastal CA, redwoods, sequoias, mountains, dry lakes and sq miles of charred land. I did this on a K1600 last fall. I T W A S A B L A S T!!!!! After long days of twisties (not curves) I found the K1600 got to be a big heavy motorcycle and it's not in the GW weight class. I did find that the huge torque of the K1600 made up for some less than optimal gear ratios for that kind of slow tight work. Get on the phone and reserve that bike for early spring while your house is still buried in snow. I highly recommend California Motorcycle Adventures -- ask for Ilean (kind of a fitting biker name, eh?) and she will take good care of ya.

I had a Wing for a bit and felt cramped and you're taller than me.I didn't make an effort to fix it.

See if you can get an extended test ride on one before you decide.

My .02...
I think you and Alan hit the nail on the head, I need an extended test ride. I either fall in-love, or not so, or totally hate it. So far the hate part may be out as it does feel pretty darn comfy. The long ride may prove differently.

Fly to CA, rent a hippo, put 3k miles on it over a couple of weeks and see coastal CA, redwoods, sequoias, mountains, dry lakes and sq miles of charred land. I did this on a K1600 last fall. I T W A S A B L A S T!!!!! After long days of twisties (not curves) I found the K1600 got to be a big heavy motorcycle and it's not in the GW weight class. I did find that the huge torque of the K1600 made up for some less than optimal gear ratios for that kind of slow tight work. Get on the phone and reserve that bike for early spring while your house is still buried in snow. I highly recommend California Motorcycle Adventures -- ask for Ilean (kind of a fitting biker name, eh?) and she will take good care of ya.
Bang bang, Alan, you must be a mind reader!

I first got this thought when Bob (Intech) said he may rent one for the Death Valley run coming up in Feb. It got stirred up again when one of my customers rode one in today to my store. Kind of coincidental one might say, maybe it's a sign! (and I did grow up on 80's rock!) lol.

......and the sign says, long haired freaky people, need not apply, so I got on my hondapotomus, ....and I started to fly! ;)

Back when I was dangerously close to 300 pounds (and at 6'4" tall, I'm not a "small" guy) my radio station was doing a promotion with the local Honda dealer. They let me "borrow" a GL1800 for the day and I'd have to echo what Rushes said back in Post # 12...the 'Wing was definitely cramped (for me).

I was quite amazed how small the cockpit area felt to me for such a Brontosaurus of a motorcycle.

It was smooth, fast and handled quite well, but in parking-lot speeds, I was terribly uncomfortable with the heft and size of that land-yacht.

YMMV

:)

It's amazing how well the big girl handles . I've done quite a bit of suspension work on mine and it's more capable than I am. I can't keep up with Bug but I can keep him in sight for a while. It's me not the bike. A change in seat makes it good for tall folks without cramping the pillion much.

Hell Mine is all ready to go, for sale and less than half the price of new and damn near as clean. Fly out here and I'll put you and your lady up and you can ride it home.

We all like what we like and the big Hondapotamous is a great motorcycle. But...

It really takes a special rider to make a GoldWing stay with an FJR in the curves. At the end of the day I can assure you the guy on the 'Wing is going to be worn out from the work. Now if it were an all day ride on the interstate, then the big Honda rider will be much happier. If your goal is to make your passenger happy the big GoldWing is hard to beat.

My cousin and I forced Dear Old Dad to swap his FJR for my cousin's '08 GoldWing outside of Taos a couple years ago. That ride lasted about 9 miles. Dad was bitching, whining, fussing, griping, and finally cursing in my headset. When we found a place to pull over and let him back on his FJR he could not get off the big Honda fast enough. Once he was happily back on his FJR and had calmed himself down we had a decent conversation.

I will summarize: "By the time I am old enough to want to ride a GoldWing, I will be too old to be able to ride a GoldWing."

And then he said, "It felt like I was sitting on a soft fluffy couch that was tied to the top of a Chevy van being driven down the road by someone else".

I like the big Honda and could be pretty happy with one, but it could not be my primary bike. Not at this stage of my life anyway. I think ionbeam's recommendation to fly somewhere and rent one for a couple weeks is an excellent idea.

It really takes a special rider to make a GoldWing stay with an FJR in the curves. At the end of the day I can assure you the guy on the 'Wing is going to be worn out from the work.
Again, take a spin with Bugnatr... he is effortless riding that beast and doesn't seem to be phased by it at all... there are a bunch of LD folks that ride them as well and they do mighty fine in twisties or anywhere else... B)