Hows the gas mileage on the FZ1 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostonfan2

Reaction score
I know some of you guys have the FZ1 as a second bike, i have been considering

this as well, was wondering about the gas mileage on average highway speeds, and if you have the full fairing hows the wind protection? any specific years to avoid ?

Thanks.........Ray

The New FZ1 was on 2 wheel Tuesday. Lot's of changes! New aluminum frame, when stripped looks like R1. Old frame steel tubes. Engine is R1 with torque valve in the exhaust more torque. Man it got my heart a thumpin watching the infomercial. TJ :D

Mileage depending on the wrist would be similar to R1

I know some of you guys have the FZ1 as a second bike, i ..., was wondering...  any specific years to avoid ?

I fully intend to avoid that year. If you want an R1, get an R1. With the NEW FZ1, you get the discomfort, the hard seat, the crotch rocket position, and nearly a gallon less of gas than before.

I figure at least half of the audience that has/had/or likes the 2001-2005 run will sit on the '06 for 10 seconds and go "Yechhhh, I can't BELIEVE they ruined our FZ1 and made it so damn uncomfortable."

In 2002 I test rode the FZ1 and the 919--the Honda had caught my eye. They were both great but the FZ1 won the test ride. Today, the FZ1 wouldn't MAKE IT to a test ride. Next to this POS, the Kawa Z1000 is a GoldWing.

Of course, that's just IMHO....

There were VERY few changes in the 2001-2005 run, some carb needle shims, a hose or two re-routed. The biggest change was the seat changed after 2001.

Well, yeah, colors changed...So? There's no year to avoid that I'm aware of in the original run.

So, if I traded my 2002 Liquid Silver FZ1 in, you can bet your bottom dollar it will NOT be on the new FZ1. But I think I'll keep it...

Last edited by a moderator: