Humiliation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
Hi,

I was late for a doctor's appointment Monday morning. I didn't want to pay the exorbitant rates at the parking lot, so I parked on the street at a meter between two cars. It was a little downhill, so I backed in. Because the gap between the two cars was a little narrow, I heisted Silver onto the center stand and hurried off to see the wizard.

After the appointment I got back to Silver. I noticed that the rear tire was actually touching the top corner of the curb. I mounted and twerked forward to drop the bike off the center stand. The bike rolled forward to just before the point where it would drop, then stalled. Didn't quite make it over the hump. No problem--it often takes a second twerk. I settled back onto the curb and twerked again. Rolled to just before the point where it would drop, then stalled. Twerked again. Stalled again. Normally when this happens I grab some front brake to hold the bike forward and then nudge it passed the drop point on the next twerk--a sort of cumulative twerk--but the angle was a little steeper than I had first realized, and the brakes wouldn't hold the bike from settling back. I twerked about sixteen times. I twerked like Miley Cyrus. No joy. Einstien said that one of the signs of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'm sure I looked like a total idiot.

I tried rocking the bike, but it wouldn't rock because the rear wheel was touching the top corner of the curb. I was stuck. And humiliated. I couldn't get my bike down off the center stand.

I admitted to myself that I wasn't going to be able to twerk the bike down from bestride it, that the only way I was going to get home was to stand beside the bike and push it off the center stand. As you all know, this can be tricky with the FJR because if you don't have the angle just right when it comes down it's pretty easy to lose control of this buxom beast and have it fall over to one side or the other. And I can't pick it up myself. Yes, I've seen the video where the 90-pound girl does it. I can't do it.

But what made pushing it off the stand really dicey was that--did I mention that this doctor's office is in Beverly Hills?--I was slotted between a Ferrari and an Audi R8. I have full insurance, but I don't know what AAA would say if I reported that I damaged a Ferrari by dropping my bike onto a Ferrari's hood while I was pushing the bike off the center stand. Not to mention having to tell the owner of the Ferrari or Audi: "Gee, I'm sorry. I dropped my $15,000 bike onto your $15,000 hood."

Ultimately I realized I had no choice--I had to go home eventually--so I got off the bike, positioned myself, took a breath, and pushed. It dropped down off the center stand, luckily remaining upright. I exhaled and looked around. Fortunately the papprazi were not there, or you might have seen me twerking my bike on TMZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I can't get my bike off its centre-stand if I'm sitting on it, I have a well rehearsed technique for the few occasions that I have used it "in public" to reduce my fear of having a "drama" event.

Mind you, I have enough problems using my side-stand :) .

That sounds nerve wracking.

Turn the bars to point the front tire toward you and you'll usually only have to worry about the bike falling over on top of you. More injuries than if you fall on top of the bike trying to save it, but body parts heal, cycle parts have to be replaced.
biggrin.png

I don't think the proper term for the lurching motion we perform to get off the centerstand is "Twerk". As you reference Miley Cyrus, I am certain you have some knowledge of what a Twerk actually looks like. I am certain that I have never done anything remotely resembling a Twerk on my motorcycle.

If the rear tire was touching, why not put the bike in gear and use its own power to get it to move forward?

FWIW, I have only parked my bike next to a Ferarri once in my life. I cannot imagine parking between a Ferarri and an R8.

... Turn the bars to point the front tire toward you and you'll usually only have to worry about the bike falling over on top of you. ...
NO NO NO. Turn the bars to turn the wheel away from you, just a little. That way the bike tends to lean towards you as it goes forward. IOW: Counter-steering. That's part of my "rehearsed technique" I mentioned in my previous post.

... Turn the bars to point the front tire toward you and you'll usually only have to worry about the bike falling over on top of you. ...
NO NO NO. Turn the bars to turn the wheel away from you, just a little. That way the bike tends to lean towards you as it goes forward. IOW: Counter-steering. That's part of my "rehearsed technique" I mentioned in my previous post.
Yep, I normally have one cup of coffee in the morning. Last night was a late night. Today is a two cupper....and I posted that before the first cup.
biggrin.png

an ugly scene for sure. glad you escaped w/out injuries to u or your bike. i had a similar situation happen---me, the rookie, backed in on an uphill road, fairly steep. i was unable to get the rocket pointed in my direction i wanted; fortunately my friend helped me out of that pickle. i was humbled.

Thanks for the visual - and the reference to the $15k hood. Sadly, it's probably more than that!

Happy Twerking!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm glad that I don't know what "twerking" is, especially if it involves Miley. Glad it worked out for you though.

I haven't tried this on asphalt, but in my shed I can rock and wiggle to change the angle. I'd imagine a bit of this would result in a turn around if there were clearance at the curb.

It seems to me that if dropping of the center stand is an actual danger, a possible solution would be to put the side stand down then push it off the center stand from the RIGHT side. If it leans into you, great, if it leans away from you, the sidestand is there to catch it. (just let it go gently)

What do you think?

It seems to me that if dropping of the center stand is an actual danger, a possible solution would be to put the side stand down then push it off the center stand from the RIGHT side. If it leans into you, great, if it leans away from you, the sidestand is there to catch it. (just let it go gently)What do you think?
That makes sense.

That would be epic fail if I tried it. Rolling the bike forward, it goes over on the other side onto the side stand...and the stand catches it. Except...I don't notice that as it contacted it was still rolling forward slightly. As I wipe the sweat off my brow and walk around the bike, over she goes.
biggrin.png

Don't like that idea at all. The forward motion of the bike would cause the side stand to just fold back and down the bike goes. Have you ever left the sidestand down while getting the FJR off the centerstand? With my overweight butt on it the suspension compresses enough that the sidestand hits. Hard. This throws the bike to the right. Hard.