hurt my back trying to put fjr on center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried this last night, its easy to put it on its stand following the technique described. What I had trouble with, is keeping the handlebars straight while I am doing this, they inadvertently turn to the left and the bike slides back onto the stand whilst angled somewhat to the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all technique. Brute force vs. finesse. MEM needs to ride over to demonstrate finesse! :lol:
Yes, I wish she'd do "mine" as well. :clapping:

Mine pops up rather easily.
Honest to my god, Wheatie. You MAKE me say things that make people like OCfjr think I'm trying hard to seek companions. Which I'm NOT (heart broken once and I'm not in a hurry to repeat that :( )

All that said..... if it hasn't been lowered, I'll do yours, too! :lol:

It's all technique. Brute force vs. finesse. MEM needs to ride over to demonstrate finesse! :lol:

Honest to my god, Wheatie. You MAKE me say things that make people like OCfjr think I'm trying hard to seek companions. Which I'm NOT (heart broken once and I'm not in a hurry to repeat that :( )

Okay, but don't hurt your back trying to do it.

Are we still talking about the bike? :unsure:

Damn. I guess I'm out then... I had to have mine trimmed.

Yeah, sad to say, mine was just a bit too long, so I couldn't get it up without a lot of hard work. After I modified it, now it pops right up without yanking on it much at all. Of course if I'm wanting to do some real hoopty servicing I need to prop her up on something for good clearance. But I had to do that before too. And there's really no down-side because it stays up just fine too.

I heard you should see a doctor if it stays up there too long though... :rolleyes:

Damn. I guess I'm out then... I had to have mine trimmed.

Yeah, sad to say, mine was just a bit too long, so I couldn't get it up without a lot of hard work. After I modified it, now it pops right up without yanking on it much at all. Of course if I'm wanting to do some real hoopty servicing I need to prop her up on something for good clearance. But I had to do that before too. And there's really no down-side because it stays up just fine too.

I heard you should see a doctor if it stays up there too long though... :rolleyes:
:rofl:

I'll throw this out there because nobody else has. I have found that if the bike is in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled, it is much easier to get it up on the center stand. I surmise that there is a little rolling resistance cause by the drivetrain...keep in mind the back wheel has to roll a little before the bike lifts. Or, I could be completely full of shit. Either way...

...when I got to the parking area, on the second try, I was pushing the bike backwards while pressing down on the center stand,

and under my left foot, it felt like something sort of gave way (I think it was me pulling a muscle).

I just left the bike on the sidestand, and limped into work...
Solution here ... save the center stand for maintenance work from now on

Or, I could be completely full of shit.
Completely!! :lol:

I leave mine in gear. There's enough slack that the wheel's in the air by the time you run into driveline limits. I like having it in gear so it doesn't escape when I take it down. I take the bike off the centerstand onto the sidestand before I mount. In gear, it stops right away when it comes down, and I don't have to chase it down the driveway.

...when I got to the parking area, on the second try, I was pushing the bike backwards while pressing down on the center stand,

and under my left foot, it felt like something sort of gave way (I think it was me pulling a muscle).

I just left the bike on the sidestand, and limped into work...
Solution here ... save the center stand for maintenance work from now on
I park on a sidewalk next to the building at work, and on the sidestand, the bike is more "in the way" than on the centerstand. I use the sidestand everywhere except at work, but there, up it goes.

Meh, maybe not so completely.

I almost always take my bike out of gear, unless I'm parking on the side stand on an incline, which is rare. Rather than doing that I usually find a better spot to park even if it means walking a little.

But I'm not so sure why you feel the need to, Walter. I mean, what the hell?

Everyone knows there are no hills in FL!! :p

But seriously, When taking off the center stand I am always astride the bike and grab the front brake to control the rate of descent and forward motion (so I don't bang the wall in front of me, etc).

This is the first I've ever heard of someone even considering putting their bike up on a center stand while still in gear.

I would have to agree that it may make it more difficult.

I have seen this pretty often done. The rider faces the bike. They put the right hand on the handle or the frame. The left is on the seat or the tank. This in effect of course has their CG over the bike. I face the same direction as the bike. put my right hand on the handle and the left on the bars if need be. I just stand on it, and the bike comes back and I stand upright the whole time. I think some riders are lifting themselves too when they do it, which is all muscle. The secret is the bike has to come back and up.

My bike is lowered, and I figured out that technique really matters when it is lowered. But I can see how a wee lass might not weigh enough to be able to do it, considering the extra force required. I'd say it takes 10-15% more 'push' with my right foot than it did stock. So I'm probably putting a couple hundred pounds down. I can, just barely, get the bike up with the centerstand on a 1x6 plank, actually I would note that the difference between stock and lowered (7/8) is probably about the same as stock vs stock with a 1x6 (as many people do for extra room removing the rear tire).

Before lowering the bike, I don't think I was always practicing proper technique. Sometimes it was real easy (when I was doing it right) and sometimes a real pain. I guess I was often doing something like "Hold the centerstand against the ground with right toe, place weight on left leg, put left hand on handlebar to steady bike, use right hand on handgrip under seat to lift, using back muscles in a twisting, jerking motion." Perhaps that is a hold over from my youth, when the technique to put the moped on the centerstand (which was all it had) was to grab the little basket behind the seat, pick the back of the moped up, and kick the stand forward with your toe, then set the moped back down.

I have observed that the taller you are the harder it is to put the FJR on the center stand. I am 5'7" and have no trouble at all. Also, I have the bike in neutral going up and coming down. Off the bike going up and on going down. I would not use the center stand if there was any appreciable slope to the surface. Even using the side stand on sloped surfaces is asking for trouble.

my 2 cents.

I was stiff this morning, but I walked around for a while, and it gradually got better.

I felt good enough to head to the gym at lunch (which I've been doing for the last year). I did pretty much my normal workout, but I was very careful with the first set of each excercise to use light weight, good form and make sure I wouldn't hurt myself. That plus a little extra stretching throughout the day, and I can hardly tell that I hurt my back yesterday. I'm glad, because I have to teach a motorcycle class this weekend (actually its a scooter class).

I thought for sure I'd be suffering for a least a week from this (considering the fact I could hardly walk just 24 hours ago). I'm just going to be careful for the next week not to reinjure myself. I don't think I can understate the value of being in good physical shape. I'm sure if I hadn't been working out, this would have been much worse.

I quess it's all in the technique........I had an old Goldwing that I could slap on the center stand even with a flat tire,trunk and saddlebags loaded,but I have yet to get the fjr up on the center stand.......quess i'll keep trying.

I quess it's all in the technique......
No lifting required, right hand goes in the thingie under the seat and the left on the bar then PUSH DOWN on the stand with your weight on your right foot. Geeze would you guys still be riding if bikes came without electric starters? :rolleyes:

Now how is it that I haven`t had a chain driven bike since the early 80s that had a center stand and yet the FJR and the Concours that I owned a while ago have? Chain maintenance when on tour is a pain unless you know how to lift the back wheel using the side stand and then there is all that crap on the rear wheel.

slo.

"every time I stepped down with my left foot, it felt like someone was hitting me with a basebat bat"

Well I hate that about your back since I've had muscle spasms off and on most of my life in the lower back, but what the heck with the left foot. Dude, I am actually amazed you have EVAR gotten the bike on the centerstand even once doing it that way. Wow. Wait a minute, are you just trying to get MEM over to show you how to do this? You :devil: you.

doctorj

"every time I stepped down with my left foot, it felt like someone was hitting me with a basebat bat"
Well I hate that about your back since I've had muscle spasms off and on most of my life in the lower back, but what the heck with the left foot. Dude, I am actually amazed you have EVAR gotten the bike on the centerstand even once doing it that way. Wow. Wait a minute, are you just trying to get MEM over to show you how to do this? You :devil: you.

doctorj
OK - I admit I was borderline and it took everything I had to get it up. I've lost 10 pounds so I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it now. It IS technique but it DOES require some weight, too. Let me bulk up a little and I'll go on a demo tour ;)