I ride the shit out of my bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to ride pretty hard sometimes, most of the time, not. It seems there is an inverse relationship between riding hard and distance from home. The further away I get the gentler I ride. :dntknw:

I generally ride with pillion only, or else with a few other "mature" 50+ riders who are very skilled but have a lot of sense and self-awareness (they intend to avoid skin grafts). We ride fast enough to touch pieces on the tarmac occasionally, but understand what that means: fast enough! I have done a couple of rides where the next generation was along on R-1s, FZ1s, Blackbirds, Bandits, etc. Man, they loved the straights - whoosh, whoosh, whoosh! - but in the twisties the old guys were slowing occasionally to keep the youngsters in sight in the mirrors. After strafing one stretch of turns, then taking a break (waiting for the young guys to pull in), the R-1 dude asked me, "Man, how do you get that big thing (FJR)...with your wife on back!...through the corners so fast?" "You can slow down and go faster," I said. A more elaborate explanation about "smooth" was called for later.

Also, I've found the top-end speed rush to have diminished almost entirely (I did own a Blackbird so am familiar with 160-plus). An occasional 125-130 does it for me these days. It's all about the turns now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was trying to show off on my Honda V65
That was my 1st bike.

Read that again, that was my FIRST bike, didn't even have an MC license to drive it when I baught it. :yahoo:

I graduated to an FJ1200, then onto the FJR.

What was this thread about? Oh yea, yes indeed I ride my Feejer hard!

I had to try and top my bike one day. Fresh oil,good tires no bags half a tank of fuel and I weight 210lbs. 155 mph by my speedo. That was it,in the red zone, ran out of power but I wasen't disappointed that ain't to shabby for a big bike. I tell people that and they look at the size of the bike and the fairing and bags and tell me I'm full of crap. I tell them get on the back and I'll take you for a ride but don't scream in my ear like a little girl when I scare the crap out of you. :clapping: :clapping:

I had to try and top my bike one day. Fresh oil,good tires no bags half a tank of fuel and I weight 210lbs. 155 mph by my speedo. That was it,in the red zone, ran out of power but I wasen't disappointed that ain't to shabby for a big bike. I tell people that and they look at the size of the bike and the fairing and bags and tell me I'm full of crap. I tell them get on the back and I'll take you for a ride but don't scream in my ear like a little girl when I scare the crap out of you. :clapping: :clapping:
With bags 155 is the tops I've seen, and that took quite distance to get there from 145. Didn't want to hang on any longer. Subtract bags, and with my Cee Baileys Sport shield, it makes a big difference above 140.

With my VStream on, it didn't want to go much more than 150 without a lot of road. Change screens and it changed that real fast, I was surprised. Aeros are huge at high speeds.

I GPS 145 in Colorado a few weeks ago. Speedo was reading right at 150. GPS may not have been accurate with the mountains and up and down terrain but it was still moving pretty good. I have seen 155 on the GPS before but that was all it would do and not any more. I love this bike!