I think I want a new windshield but......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolman

Reaction score
I like to ride most of the time with the stock shield in the lowest position. I enjoy the airflow. However, there are times when I want a quieter ride. Raising the stock all the way up almost gets the quiet ride I'm looking for but not quite. There is too much backpressure and still some windnoise.

If I go to a touring shield, I'm afraid that I won't like it in the "down" position. I've tried raising my stock shield a few inches to see what a taller shield would sound like in it's lowest position and it's noisy as hell.

Actually what I really want is more range of motion in the stock windshield so that I can raise it up another three or four inches.

I'm 5' 8". Any ideas????

Cars, motorcycles, and windscreens; no single one of any will satisfy all your needs.

Not much help huh? Aerodynamics are against you finding a windscreen that will give you silence and an absence of burble, pushing, pulling, or other pressure/vacuum generated forces. Personally, I ride with my stock shield down, or if I want some relief from pressure at high speed, up about 2 - 4 inches. Higher and it gets quieter and I also get more pushing/pulling, etc. I have a CeeBailey +4+3 for the winter and it's about the same. It covers more, but the performance parameters are as with the OEM.

You'll get folks telling you about V-Streams, edging, CA Scientific with holes, and many other "cures." Me, I'm going to accept "good enough" on the windscreen and do something worthwhile - like turning mud into gold!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to ride most of the time with the stock shield in the lowest position. I enjoy the airflow. However, there are times when I want a quieter ride. Raising the stock all the way up almost gets the quiet ride I'm looking for but not quite. There is too much backpressure and still some windnoise.
If I go to a touring shield, I'm afraid that I won't like it in the "down" position. I've tried raising my stock shield a few inches to see what a taller shield would sound like in it's lowest position and it's noisy as hell.

Actually what I really want is more range of motion in the stock windshield so that I can raise it up another three or four inches.

I'm 5' 8". Any ideas????
I put on the tall yamaha it's just what the doctor ordered I feel. Great down, quiet up.

You'll find that most people (myself included) find that an aftermarket windshield solves the problem Some others discover that the removable Laminar Lip is the ticket. Personally I like my CeeBaileys +4+2, standard contour very much. Substantial improvement in protection and comfort over the stock on. I would probably go with +4+1 or +4+0 if I were to do it again since I have the V-Strom hand guards now and don't think I need all that additional width. My advice would be to choose an aftermarket screen that you think will work and try it. If it doesn't give you the answer you want you can probably sell it here for more than half what you paid for it. Good luck.

One thing I had always considered taking the time to do, was reengineering the upper pivot bracket on the windscreen mechanism. I think the change in angle as the shield raises is one of the problems. (thus all the spacers out there) What I had envisioned was a replacement bracket that would work more like a drawer slide. Just straight-line action instead of the "up with arch." I never did get around to doing it though, and now the bike is dead. Anyway, I think something like that and a larger shield would do what you are looking for. Aside from that, there is a V-Stream test shield making its rounds with members as we speak. Try it on for size.

@jcolman,

I rarely ride with it down all the way, but I think so. I'd have to agree with Scab (ugh, did I just say that?)...

Not to hyjack, but I have a Cal Sci medium that greatly reduces my fuel mileage in the full upright position because it is straight verticle and I wish it had more of an angle (I'm a little shy about using the spacers). Is the Yamaha touring or the V-stream angled at all and can you tell a large difference in fuel mileage when in the upright position?

The angle is determined by the windscreen mechanism and chosen height. The design of the V-Stream is intended to divide the air flow into two paths, directing air down either side of the rider. I probably rode with my V-stream somewhere in the middle most of the time and I cannot remember any significant impact on fuel mileage. While the V-Stream is a large shield, it is not overly tall. It is wide. (I speak of Gen I FJR/V-Stream)

Now, looking, both of you have an '06. I have ridden an '06 with a V-Stream but I did not think it was as effective as the Gen I/V-Stream combo. But, my experience with the Gen II is very limited. Take all that I say with a big grain of salt.

I've got the YAM Touring and love it. in the full down position its just like the stock wind shield seeing as the angle is the same. You get nice air off of it. The full up is nice and very calm but there is back pressure. When I ride over 65 with the screen full up my shirt gets lifted up. I think if I let go of the bars my shirt would be pulled right off of me! Overall I'm very happy with the performance of the windshield though.

Is the Yamaha touring or the V-stream angled at all and can you tell a large difference in fuel mileage when in the upright position?
I 'spose it's angled somewhat normally. I did a SS1K at WFO with it and my fuel consumption was totally normal. I was right around 50 mpg the whole 1000 miles.

I have a Cal Sci Medium with some home developed spacers (5/8" OD from McMaster Carr, painted black) and am very happy with the results on my Gen I, though it does buffet a bit at the top height. Does anybody have experience with this and the V Stream who can provide a good comparison?

I wish the V Stream wasn't so weird looking. Kind of fights the lines of the bikes IMO, but I would be willing to try it if it were that much better.

-BD