Idiots guide to riding deals gap.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abercrombie FJR

Reaction score
This guy is struggling!   Go to the 9:00 mark if you get board of waiting for him to finally run off the road.   Don't worry about the gore, the guy is going too slow by the time he hits the apex to hurt himself. 

It appears to me that this guy is going too fast for his skill-set.  (and if it were me, riding as poorly as I perceive him to be riding, and then crashing; I wouldn't post my inadequacies)

The number of times he narrowly missed going off road or crashing it was only a matter of time until it finally happened. Glad he didn't appear to be injured but damn dude, go take a track day or two and build your skill before you hurt yourself or take out someone else.

The number of times he narrowly missed going off road or crashing it was only a matter of time until it finally happened. Glad he didn't appear to be injured but damn dude, go take a track day or two and build your skill before you hurt yourself or take out someone else.
Ya, I don't think he's anywhere near ready for a track day yet.  I would suggest a Basic Rider Course and learn the first day basics like counter steering before stepping up to a track day.  Track days are great way to improve skills and knowledge but this guy is not ready to leave a motorcycle training range.  I wasn't aware how hard or counter intuitive it is to be a beginner learning to ride a motorcycle until I got out on to a training range and coached new riders.  This fact is proven even further while following veteran riders down the road and witnessing a lack of basic rider knowledge they would've obtained over a weekend by attending a Basic Rider Course of some type.

Well it showed up this time so must have been something funky with my connection.

Couple thoughts while watching this.

1. I'm glad to know that if I ever go off the edge it doesn't look  too bad.

2. The most painful part of the video was the last 2 minutes being completely slowmo.

3. Watching his face shield pop off in slowmo was kinda cool.

&

4. I was rather disappointed to see at the end he looked old enough to know better. Either old enough to know how to ride better or old enough to know that he needed more experience and training. He definitely looked old enough to know his limits.

I was rather disappointed to see at the end he looked old enough to know better. Either old enough to know how to ride better or old enough to know that he needed more experience and training. He definitely looked old enough to know his limits.
Yes!

Looks like someone that doesn't have experience (yet) with broken bones, or an ugly slide down the blacktop on his buttocks (yet).

Old enough to know better though...

So, to me, he should be encouraged to NOT ride again. Am I being too harsh? Is it just training and experience he is lacking? That was a scary ride for me knowing what was coming, but I think I could have predicted it even if I wasn't told. {those of you who have followed me through the twisties and thought that I looked just like this, please keep your comments to yourself, thank you}. 

This is the problem with the Dragon.

Thank heavens there are FAR better roads in that region (too many to even count) to ride that have 1/100th the idiots to deal with.  Those of you that know, please don't share.  Let the idiots find 'em the way we did, one gallon of gas at a time.

When it's quiet in the morning during the week, immediately after the fog has burned off and before the popo has finished breakfast, and I have the right tunes playing in my ears, and I'm in the right frame of mind, The Dragon is an absolutely awesome piece of pavement.  For the other 99.9% of the time, I'll pass.....

Took a week long trip from Mass to Mrytle Beach and figured I’d take the long way back and hit the dragon before getting on the Blue Ridge. See a lot of those videos to know better. Got there on a clear quiet evening, almost no one on the road with the exception of 4 or 5 regulars. 

took my sweet time, stay within my limits and controls, enjoyed the evening air and had an amazing time. Went back and forth before calling as dusk was setting in and didn’t want to take out (or get taken out by) a deer.  10/10 would recommend going back but always with control.