Idling problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnislash

Reaction score
I've got a major problem..

Ever since my FJR came back from a throttle body servicing and throttle cable change, I've got some serious idling issues.

First, the minimum idle stays at 1000rpm and wont go below that. It also requires a lot of turns to adjust the idling up, so much so that the idling adjusment knob becomes really tight.

Secondly, when the engine becomes hot over some time (after a few fan cycles), the idling becomes irratic and eventually dies off.

I've went back to the mechanic (authorised Yamaha agent) and all they could tell me is that my throttle body has served its last days.

I somehow do not trust them since it came after the service but they are the agent and i cant really do anything about it.

Its a 02 model.

Omni,

Sorry to hear about your situation. If you are not going to get any help from your servicer... here is some ideas:

1- Make sure your Vacuum Nipples are in place and Not Pinched on your Throttle Bodies.

2- You also can check your Main Harness Connector here for contamination:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=22734&view=findpost&p=268059

3- Make sure your Throttle Body Boots are Conected Correctly and/or Not Leaking/Sliced.

Hope this helps...

Our consensus is that the idle ought to be 1100 RPM, so it shouldn't actually need to come below 1000. Higher idle seems to improve off-idle throttle response tremendously.

As for throttle body serving its last days, that's a load of stinky stuff. There's nothing in the throttle body to wear out, unless you've been dumping sand and salt on it and into it every few days. Injectors, maybe there's an issue with fuel injectors.

I don't know what you mean by throttle body servicing, unless you're talking about a sync. If so, then as mentioned, make sure all the vacuum caps are in place, maybe they left one (or more) off. And hopefully they didn't futz around with the other vacuum tubes and move them or knock them loose. Missing caps will produce a vacuum leak, which might give symptoms like you describe, I don't know.

Of course, to check this, you have to raise the fuel tank, maybe something you're not comfortable with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located. Maybe, if there is a forum member close by, you can get some local help.

If the throttle body servicing you're talking about is a throttle body sync, I'd be inclined to get it redone by someone else. You can get into a lot of trouble with those air bleed screws chasing a specific vacuum number.

How many miles on the bike?

Dan

PS Stop cranking on the idle adjuster until you have a better idea of what is wrong. You can pop it loose and/or permanently damage it by racking it past its range.

Another thing to consider is if the dealer left the individual bleed air screws almost bottomed to balance the sync. If that is the case, it will take more main adjustment to increase the idle. The fix is to back out all the bleed air screws to 1 1/2 turns or so and then lower the main idle adjustment to 1100-1200 rpm. Then adjust the bleed air to complete the TBS.

Good luck.

--G

Recently after my 600 mile service my idle was at 930 after the TB sync. I hooked up the laptop and plugged into the PC V and set it to bounce around 1060-1085. Much improved gray area clutch control while trailing rear brake, and off idle response. It did not take much adjustment on the adjustment screw to make it move around.

I think techs are taught 900 RPM or close. This Forum has determined and correctly, the bike likes the 1100 RPM idle range. Think emissions.

Hope you get squared away pretty quickly. If you got a TB sync and you can not get your idle to 1100 than as said, they sunk your adjustment screws on the TB and that needs redone to be corrected. Of course the checking of caps on the TB and the boots on the TB, and maybe just a good shot of TB cleaner while you are there? SeaFoam makes a fogger that is a blast to use, and will endear you to your neighbors. Upside is it cleans TB and piston tops supper clean, you need to change your oil when done as some will go by the rings.