ignition cylinder removal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptail

Reaction score
How to remove the ignition cylinder from the upper tripple?

What kind of fasteners are they?

Whats the trick? Haven't found it yet in the service manual.

Thanks

How to remove the ignition cylinder from the upper tripple?

What kind of fasteners are they?

Whats the trick? Haven't found it yet in the service manual.

Thanks
They are security screws,once installed they have to be drilled out. After removal the process is pretty straight forward.

thanks for the quick reply. I just found the thread on it.

While I have your ear, how does the harness remove so I can put the tripple in a vise to remove the security fasteners?

Last edited by a moderator:

While I have your ear, how does the harness remove so I can put the tripple in a vise to remove the security fasteners?

It has a release clip like most weather pack connectors and needs a firm pull. I installed a one of Brodie's ignition relays to protect the switch and then had the dealer do the recall on it.

The connectors for the ignition switch live under the fuel tank above the engine just behind the frame headset. Remove the fuel tank, it's easy to do with it's quick disconnect fuel line. There are 2 connectors involved, a large white one and a smaller red one. Then you will be able to lift the top tripple clamp off the bike to do your drilling in a vise. Sears makes a nice set of easy outs.

Once you have the ignition switch out, are you planning to repair or replace it?

Brodie