Illegal to have things protruding from your helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No comment,
smile.png

And seriously, does your plate ever fall off so you need to stow it in a back pack? That's just testosterone pack riding BS.
Actually I have seen plates come off more than once on street and dirt bikes. Some mountings are rather flimsy and bikes do vibrate quite a bit. Only the lucky ones find their plate before getting home. However, it's easy to be dubious of anyone packing their plate around in a backpack.

All this research and you guys are forgetting one very important thing: A STATE cop cannot enforce FEDERAL law. There's not even a place on his ticket book to cite Federal law. The court appearance has to be in Federal Court, and he cannot write a Federal Criminal Complaint.

Let's take counterfeit money as an example. Most states do not have a statue addressing a penalty for counterfeit money. Using it falls under the state's Fraud statute. The only ones that can convict for being in possession of counterfeit money are the feds. Because it's a Federal law violation.

Ever notice that Federal Park Rangers are not writing speeding tickets outside of the National Parks? They have no jurisdiction on State property; although, there may be a small buffer area where they can reach out of their specific boundary.

That cop was a clown.

AND, unless each rider has an articulatable offense, he cannot pull over an entire group because someone in the group did something wrong. Everyone who stopped, who did not for commit a violation of state statute is a Consensual Encounter and is free to terminate it any time they want. They didn't even have to stop.

Edit: I would never advocate not stopping. That's a great way to end up in jail. Everything I said is stuff that can be brought up in court, if it even goes that far. In and of itself, failing to move right and stop, when an emergency vehicle is behind you is a primary offense, which means one can be stopped for it, so failing to yield turns to "Resisting/Evading/Obstructing" or "Felony Evading" very quickly. Stop first. Be a smart-ass later. Lol...

Besides, I've never seen anyone in this crowd do anything worthy of being pulled over...ever. Ha!!

Last edited by a moderator:
HotRodZilla posted: <snip> That cop was a clown.
HEY! Easy there, big boy, that's a GEORGIA State Patrolman ..... so he's probably my seventh cousin or sumpthin. (And I think there were three cops by the time the video ended.)

But thanks for the "Consensual Encounter" phrase. Although it sounds really, really creepy, I'm gonna try it out during my next conversation with a police officer.

HotRodZilla posted: That cop was a clown.
HEY! Easy there, big boy, that's a GEORGIA State Patrolman ..... so he's probably my seventh cousin or sumpthin. (And I think there were three cops by the time the video ended.)

But thanks for the "Consensual Encounter" phrase. Although it sounds really, really creepy, I'm gonna try it out during my next conversation with a police officer.
Be VERY careful with that dork. People.who start spouting off about consensual encounters, at the wrong time, have a way of ending up in handcuffs. Which is usually non-consensual. Unless you're this girl I know that likes it when her wrists and ankles are...Wait...nevermind. Be careful and don't make your uncle-cousin mad.

HotRodZilla posted: That cop was a clown.
Hud, be careful with that. It probably means something more geographically suited to the region in which 'Zilla patrols . . .
Think "Wild Hogs" while saying "officer" and "consensual encounter", and you're probably closer to what that means in his jurisdiction. And between Skooter, Dolly and 'Zilla, what happens in Toas stays in Toas. :rofl: ;)

EDIT TO ADD: 'Zilla beat me to posting, to apparently augment the "Wild Hogs" encounter to include handcuffs. As he said: be VERY careful with that, unless you like that sorta thing. :) :)

Perhaps I should have posted my usual smartass emoji
coolsmiley02.gif
. How I live my life every day: "Hud does NOT go to jail."

There's never any point in arguing or smarting off to a police officer. The place to argue is in court, and you need a feisty attorney for that. (DAMHIK, but it wasn't criminal court.)

Now, what's this about SkooterG and HRZ in Toas? Because Dolly is a cloned sheep, right ... ? (And bummer that the Toas icon probably disappeared with Photobucket.)

Actually I have seen plates come off more than once on street and dirt bikes. Some mountings are rather flimsy and bikes do vibrate quite a bit. Only the lucky ones find their plate before getting home. However, it's easy to be dubious of anyone packing their plate around in a backpack.

I used to be the advisor for a team of 18 to 24 year olds who were on our university formula car team.

Believe me, I know this group well. Most of them are good kids out for a bit of fun. The cop's friendly intervention was to keep them from getting into trouble. That plate in the backpack was bs. I've heard them plan it. I've heard them laugh about it after the fact.

I'm with the cop on this one. He did no harm and might have done some good.

I would expect a ticket if I had my license plate in a back pack. If it fell off and I found it I would immediately fasten it back on somehow. If I didn't have a couple of zip ties or a piece of wire I would stop and buy what I needed right away. I'm sure the gas station could have supplied him with something that would serve the purpose. Not having it displayed is a major red flag for any LEO who sees you.