Introducing my self

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOFFjr1300

Reaction score
Hi, first... Thank you for having me as a member. My name is Geir Ove Florø, and I live in Norway. I raid a '07 AS model. Bought it this year. Previous bike was a' 01 xj 900 S Diversion. Love the FJR. I use the wintertime to fully overhaul the bike, also putting in a G2 throttle tamer, and a BrakeAway throttle lock. So it's going to be a pearl at springtime.

Welcome!!
The FJR1300AS is the same as the FJR1300AE in the North America market. "Auto-clutch" model.
Any modifications done to the bike? How many kilometers?

Lots of information on this forum with respect to maintenance and problem-solving. The search function works very well and there are lots of people with extensive experience with the FJR to help you with any issues.

Welcome!!
The FJR1300AS is the same as the FJR1300AE in the North America market. "Auto-clutch" model.
Any modifications done to the bike? How many kilometers?

Lots of information on this forum with respect to maintenance and problem-solving. The search function works very well and there are lots of people with extensive experience with the FJR to help you with any issues.
Thank you, nice to be apart of the community. Seems to me that there is tons of experience and knowledge in here. First.... bare with me, and my english spelling/writing, I haven't been practicing it for a long time.
Nice to know, I have been wondering abut that. So AS is the same as AE. Have been raiding since I was 16...now 57...has been a couple of bikes. I bought my fjr 1300 as, '07 model, 30 000 km, this year, had a xj 900 S, '01Diversion before that. Bought that one new. I love the fjr, the easy handelig, and the tourk. Have the ext. of the coat, in front of the footshaft..?, if that's the name for it. Givinging it a full overall, the engine, the fork...calibration of the injection... the valves.. Suspension, the whole bike. Mounted a Tomtom GPS, and a SP connect phone mount, with wireless charger. Putting in the G2 throttle cam tamer 15%, to get a smoother throttle, and maybe the Brakeaway cruise control ( lock), haven't decided yet. Any experience with that?.
So the wintertime is used in garage. Love it. And you, witch model?. Any upgrades? Oki, this was mayby a story, not a short replay, but I thought it was so nice to get a repay... so.. Hehe. Again thanks.

Attachments

• 20231017_134439.jpg
    20231017_134439.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231017_152024.jpg
    20231017_152024.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. Enjoy! (y)
As for the throttle lock. As far as I know the breakaway doesn't work with factory heated grips. There is not enough room to install it. On my 09 -AE I was able to install a Vista Cruise throttle lock with some modifications to the grip and the throttle lock itself. The Vista Cruise is made of a workable material so using a step drill bit I drilled it to the proper interior diameter and sanded it on both sides to get it as thin as possible. Then carefully trimmed the rubber of grip so the Vista Cruise could fit between the grip and the switch housing. Trimming of the grip must be done very carefully as the wires are embedded in the rubber. After much sanding and smoothing of the grip and the lock and some lubrication it worked fine. However one more caution. Sometime back during Superstorm Sandy my bike was blown over by the storm and landed on the throttle lock which damaged the wiring in the grip. I haven't repaired this yet so this grip is not currently functioning. As always YMMV. :unsure:

Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. Enjoy! (y)
As for the throttle lock. As far as I know the breakaway doesn't work with factory heated grips. There is not enough room to install it. On my 09 -AE I was able to install a Vista Cruise throttle lock with some modifications to the grip and the throttle lock itself. The Vista Cruise is made of a workable material so using a step drill bit I drilled it to the proper interior diameter and sanded it on both sides to get it as thin as possible. Then carefully trimmed the rubber of grip so the Vista Cruise could fit between the grip and the switch housing. Trimming of the grip must be done very carefully as the wires are embedded in the rubber. After much sanding and smoothing of the grip and the lock and some lubrication it worked fine. However one more caution. Sometime back during Superstorm Sandy my bike was blown over by the storm and landed on the throttle lock which damaged the wiring in the grip. I haven't repaired this yet so this grip is not currently functioning. As always YMMV. :unsure:
Hi, thanks for the replay. Uhh... I get so many different replays to this. Some say no problem, and som say no heated grips, but I figured that the cable was not the problem, but maybe what you mentioned is. Maybe the space above the outlet of the cable and the throttle cables ( which comes out al together) is. This is the place where the rod goes, attached to the clamp on the handelbar.... I see that there is some cheep onse on Ali express, just to try out. .. The one from Brakeaway is to expensive for chance. The return from Norway to USA, is a bit of a hassle, if it doesn't fit...

So the wintertime is used in garage. Love it. And you, witch model?. Any upgrades?
Mine is a 2011 with 160,000 km. (My previous FJR was 2007 "A" model - sold at 295,000 km)
The 2011 in North America is "Liquid Silver" color. Mine is well equipped with aftermarket suspension (Traxxion Dynamics AK20 forks and Penske shock). Also has Clearwater Erica and Glenda auxiliary LED lights, Cox radiator guard, fender extender, TechSpec tank pads, Throttlemeister heavy handlebar ends with throttle lock, GenMar handlebar risers, Hyperlite LED rear brake/turn signal flasher, Staintune exhaust, Givi SR357 rack, Givi top case, Cee Bailey windscreen, trailer hitch etc. (Most of this was on the bike when I bought it used 4 years (and 110,000 km) ago.) I added a Garmin Zumo 665 GPS but replaced it with a Zumo XT two years ago.

My riding is done for this season and most of my maintenance will be done in the early spring. Riding season doesn't really start here (New Brunswick, Canada) until April. This year, I have to replace tires, flush brake/clutch, service the rear drive and service the rear suspension relay arm. General, cleaning and lubrication (including front/rear brake pivots, brake calipers, shifter linkage). My Penske rear shock is due to be refurbished as well - I will get that done at a local specialty shop. I do everything else myself. I think my next valve clearance check can wait for another year although I might replace sparkplugs and coolant (I usually do these at the same time as the valve check).

1702743236220.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is a 2011 with 160,000 km. (My previous FJR was 2007 "A" model - sold at 295,000 km)
The 2011 in North America is "Liquid Silver" color. Mine is well equipped with aftermarket suspension (Traxxion Dynamics AK20 forks and Penske shock). Also has Clearwater Erica and Glenda auxiliary LED lights, Cox radiator guard, fender extender, TechSpec tank pads, Throttlemeister heavy handlebar ends with throttle lock, GenMar handlebar risers, Hyperlite LED rear brake/turn signal flasher, Staintune exhaust, Givi SR357 rack, Givi top case, Cee Bailey windscreen, trailer hitch etc. (Most of this was on the bike when I bought it used 4 years (and 110,000 km) ago.) I added a Garmin Zumo 665 GPS but replaced it with a Zumo XT two years ago.

My riding is done for this season and most of my maintenance will be done in the early spring. Riding season doesn't really start here (New Brunswick, Canada) until April. This year, I have to replace tires, flush brake/clutch, service the rear drive and service the rear suspension relay arm. General, cleaning and lubrication (including front/rear brake pivots, brake calipers, shifter linkage). My Penske rear shock is due to be refurbished as well - I will get that done at a local specialty shop. I do everything else myself. I think my next valve clearance check can wait for another year although I might replace sparkplugs and coolant (I usually do these at the same time as the valve check).

View attachment 6034
Wow, very nice bike!

Welcome from Western Massachusetts! As mentioned, you can find anything you're interested in; here. I ride an 06 with aftermarket heated grips. I use this clamp on Throttle Lock. Simple and works great. If you decide you don't like it 🤷‍♂️ small investment. I'll buy an FJR with electronic cruse; as soon as I wear this one out. 😂

Pete-o

Attachments

• IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 6034
Looking for some extra lights.... Where did you get yours from..?. Mounted with an external relay?

Looking for some extra lights.... Where did you get yours from..?. Mounted with an external relay?
Mine came with the bike when I bought it. They are Clearwater lights and are quite expensive - there are many lower cost options available.
These have separate relay and dimmer controls. This is the listing for the FJR for the high power Ericas. You can see their other options on the website.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/collections/erica-motorcycle-led-lights/products/erica-yamaha-fjr-2