Introductions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karstenp

Reaction score
Thought I would start off with a formal introduction and a little of my story.... I know a couple of you and others I saw at the IB5000 but did not get a chance to meet you.

I work as a Professional Mechanical Engineer at a Nuclear Power Plant and live in Ontario, Canada. I will be a rookie in the IBR and I will be riding a heavily farkled 07. My first Saddlesore 1600K was in 2008. I have only 2 years of rally experience with 7 rallies completed.... Minuteman, Cape Fear, MD2020, Minnesota 2010 (my first multi day), IB5000, and Rendezvous (twice). My best finish was 2nd place in my last rally this year.... Rendezvous.

Looking forward to getting to know fellow IBR FJR riders...

Perry

Here's the Coles notes version of my riding life.

I'll be an IBR rookie in 2011. Although I had toured Canada and the U.S.A. on a bike in the summer of 1978, my rally/IBA career started when another North Bay rider (Cameron Sanders) talked me into doing the 2004 Blackfly rally. Since then Cam and I had travelled sometimes great distances to do rallies. They included three Minuteman 1000's, two Void rallies, last year's Cape Fear, three Rendezvous rallies in Quebec, three Not Superman rallies - all of different lengths, and a Northern Exposure 1600k rally - the followup to the Blackfly.

Some of the IBA rides we've done SS1, SS2, BBG, Great Lakes Gold, and several others.

Taking part in the IB5K gave me a taste of multiday rallies, and taught me that my time management skills needed work. I was showing up way too early to the checkpoints. Usually I'm a few minutes late or right on time. The best analogy I give people who have done 24 hr rallies but no real multiday stuff is this: imagine that you are a goldfish in an aquarium. You're used to the finite borders of the glass walls. One day someone lifts you out of the aquarium and throws you into the ocean, then tells you to go swimming. It took me a while to adapt to my expanded universe. I'm expecting more of the same with the IBR - a different scale again.

When I'm not riding, I work as a dentist in a solo practice. I'm not married, and my kids have grown up so I don't need a kitchen pass to go to these rallies. Last August was the first time in 30 years that I took two weeks off for any type of vacation (IB5K). Maybe I am married after all.

The IBR will be the pinnacle of my riding carreer, and I don't foresee the need to do another IBR after. Because I love the American West, I expect to have a bike out there full-time in the coming years, so that I can explore whenever I get a chance.

I do expect to write about my experiences. Hopefully I can weave a good tale that involves some of the other riders as well. PM me if interested.

Peter

This will be my second IBR. In the 2009 IBR, I was one of the stooges who rode an RE5 (mine lasted longest!). In '09, the odometer check before the rally was the longest ride I had taken on any RE5 because I finally got the thing running about 2 or 3 weeks before the rally started.

This time around, I'm riding an FJR and really looking forward to it. Unlike '09, I have plenty of time to plan and get comfortable on my bike.

I've ridden the Cal24 4 or 5 times, and I've had a few rides certified by the IBR- a BBG, SS1K, SS2K, and a California in-state SS1K.

I live in Bakersfield. If any of you are in my area, I'd like to see about linking up prior to the rally.

I started long distance riding when I purchased the FJR in 2005. I immediayyly wanted to start doing rallys and in 06 headed out to CA for the cal 24. I was hooked. I have done numerous rallys and IBA rides. Just before the IB5K I did a loop around the lakes to get preped for the 5K.

I have tried to get into the IBR since 2007 but so far dint make the draw. So when this oprotunity came in I had to do it.

I have lived in St.louis MO my whole life a long 44 years now. I have been riding since I was 16.

I have a buisness in St.Louis selling comercial Door and Hardware so it will be dificult to take the time away but I will just have to make it work.

I have invested lots of money and time into the FJR so I think I have it ready to go no neww farkles needed.

My only real concern is the Electrosport Stator. Will it hold up.

Mike Mehaffy

Good Evening!

My name is Cameron Brister, aka Left Base. I've ridden in one or two events a year, including a couple of SS 1000 and BB 1500 cert rides to get my feet wet, a BB 1500 with the Ride for the Heart Foundation Rally, the Utah 1088 in 2008, the Nevada 1099 and Cal 24 in 2009, and I'm a Damtour finisher in 2010. Best ride was the NV 1099 where I finally cracked the BunBurner Gold category, but they're all fun.

I have an 06 FJR with sound by AutoComm, I'm adding a GPS and a Russell seat to replace the stocker before the rally. No plans for a fuel cell at this point.

But, I'm looking forward to this.