Downsizing ...to a Guzzi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBound

Reaction score
I doubt that many (any?) current FJR pilots are going to be particularly interested in this, but just in case someone is going down the same road, a bit behind me...

Two days ago, I took delivery of a pristine 2018 Moto Guzzi V7 III Milano with 2,966 miles on the clock. I've put about 150 miles on the bike. My beloved, second 2016 FJR1300 ES is listed for sale.

Why did I do this? First, my 31" inseam has always been marginal for the FJR. I've never dropped any of the three FJRs I've owned, but for a while now, I've not felt comfortable with the combination of the seat height, the bike's width between my legs and its weight (and the way it carries it). Hey! Let's stop and take a photo! Wait... not there... the shoulder's too sandy. And I have begun to suspect that my legs have actually shrunk an inch over the past few years. (My 60th birthday is already in the rearview mirror.) Then there's the issue of pushing it around on any kind of incline (like backing it uphill into my garage). And with my back and knees, regardless of technique, I doubt that I could pick it up if it did take an asphalt nap.

So, I'd been thinking about what I'd get when it became prudent to downsize. Eliminating everything that's (a.) a cruiser or full-on sport bike, (b.) chain-driven or (c.) a BMW left me two candidates: a Guzzi or a 10 year-old Honda NT700V (Deauville). Getting the Honda into and out of my garage with that non-detachable luggage would have been quite a dance, so my decision was made.

I've always had a thing for Guzzis. Never owned one. My dad had a circa-1970 Amabassador 750 that was a bit of a nightmare, reliability-wise. But the bike certainly had character. Ever since, Guzzis have turned my head. The V11 Le Mans Sport and Rosso Corsa especially. Big-time moto-lust. I went as far as to test-ride a 750 Breva in 2004 ...and bought my second CB750 Nighthawk, instead.

I began thinking that perhaps it was time for a new chapter in my moto-career, a chapter based on a return to a more elemental, more visceral moto-experience. Maybe it was time to downsize to a lower, lighter Guzzi. I started reading reviews, and studying the MG site. Decided that the Milano variant of the V7 III line would meet my needs. (It's the only V7 III variant with cast wheels, chrome pipes and a tach, all things I value.) A new one would have to be trucked in from a dealer in Oklahoma. Then I discovered a low-mile, used Milano on craigslist. Serendipity.

So what's it like? I can flat-foot the thing at a stop. Sit-up-and-beg ergos. It's 180 pounds lighter than an FJR. I checked cornering clearance by grabbing it by the bars and leaning it to the left until the footpeg feeler touched down -- then picked it back up.

It comes to life with the same drama that my Ducati Monster 797 used to, then settles into a 1,200-RPM idle, mirrors shaking slightly. The cable-actuated dry clutch is heavier than the FJR's unit. It shifts reliably, but without the haptic feedback of any Japanese bike.

Of course, it has nowhere near the acceleration delivered by the FJR, but it revs willingly -- until the rev limiter shuts down the party at 7,200 RPM. One may as well shift at 6,000 RPM, for redline is only 500 RPM away at that point. Nowhere near the acceleration of an FJR, but enough to get one into trouble, if one were to try hard enough.

The bike is nimble in the twisties -- less work than the FJR -- and the bargain-basement shocks and forks do a surprisingly good job of keeping the wheels on the ground without being nearly as harsh as that Ducati Monster was. It is also surprisingly planted at 75 or 80 MPH on the freeway; there's none of the twitchiness that I disliked in the Ducati.

Then there's the sound, even with the stock mufflers. Particularly during deceleration.

Yes, it's vibey throughout a lot of its working RPM range, but not all of it. Yes, it has no cruise control or heated grips -- or alternator capacity to power heated gear. (I may investigate an LED headlight conversion to address that issue.) No, it's not what you'd choose to do back-to-back coast-to-coast runs, much less a competitive, multi-day LD rally. The FJR has far more capability than I was using, or am likely to need again. Properly farkled, the Guzzi will, I think, meet my needs (brisk rides of Colorado's passes and canyons, and an occasional multi-day trip of no more than 600 miles or so per day). I may even ponder the possibility of an SS1K. A Givi windscreen, Hepco & Becker top and side cases, a Vista Cruise throttle lock and a new Ram mount for my Garmin are enroute.

Hey! Let's stop and take a photo! A sandy shoulder? No problem.

Congrats on the Guzzi.  I owned a 1974 V7 Sport for many years.  I had a set of megaphones on it and people would say it was the nicest sounding bike they ever heard.  It's balance was great and nimble.  A somewhat unknown (to non-Guzzi riders) effect is that the bike rocks a bit side to side when the throttle is cracked due to the engine's torque reaction.  This "feature" was put to good use when I entered and won a couple slow races.  :good:

lXxVMtn.jpg

Well...the love affair is over. It never really got started.

On Saturday, my buyer rode off on my 2016 ES. On Sunday I went for a 150-mile jaunt on the Guzzi. I was pushing it harder than I had yet, and I found its limits, it wallowing in fast, bumpy sweepers, and grinding off a bit of something (center stand? side stand?) in a tight left-hander. I suppose I could start throwing money at suspension bits, but I would still have a 52-HP bike with a 6,500-RPM redline.  😐

I'm thinking I'll go sit on a Honda CB650R this weekend and see if it's too tall for me. If it is, I may snag a new SV650. (Although I've been warned that the quality of its suspension may not satisfy me, either, I could at least think about upgrading suspension on the 73-HP gem-of-an-engine SV.)

I will post updates here, for anyone who may be interested...

Just hoping, ardently, that I'm not so spoiled by the FJR that nothing else out there that might fit me will satisfy me...

Well... I won't be riding an SV anytime soon.

My day started with a stop at the Honda dealer, and a look at their (not-ready-to-demo-ride) CB650R. My notes:

"Can almost flat-foot it. Feels no heavier than my Guzzi. Swaged handlebar might make a windscreen an interesting project. Very red. Sporty ergos; bar is low and forward, pegs are high. A fairly substantial pillion perch, comparatively speaking."

I headed to the Kawasaki dealer next (saving the Suzuki/Ducati dealer for last). They had one of the blue and grey 2020 Z900s ($300 extra for that color, I believe) and a black and green 2019 (for $600 off the price of the black and green 2020). There were a number of improvements for 2020, so I chose the blue one. A test ride? Sure... sign here. I followed the sales guy (who was on a Zero) around a 10- or 11-mile loop with an occasional rain drop spattering my shield. Observations: I wish it didn't look like a 20 year-old's bike (or better yet, I wish I were 20 again!). The pillion perch is vestigial. Far more agreeable ergos than the Honda. The pegs are still on the high side, but not as high as the Honda's, and the reach to the bar is much more manageable. As with the Honda, I can almost flat-foot it. Close enough.The clutch is amazingly light... lighter than anything else I've ridden in 20 years, maybe lighter than anything I've ever ridden. Nice, color TFT display. The engine sounds great and pulls eagerly. It's smoother than my FJR was, at least as far as 6,000 RPM. (Thinking that I might buy it, I didn't push it too hard.) Firmly (but not harshly) suspended at both ends. I'd decided to buy it before we got 2/3 of the way through the test ride.

I've ordered a tail bag -- which will suffice until that Christmas bonus arrives 🤞 -- and am looking at a couple of different windscreens. Transplanted the throttle lock from the Guzzi to the Zee.

I can't wait to put this bike through its paces on my favorite twisties...

I think you made a good choice. A riding bud just sold his Triumph Thunderbird for one. He is excited about going from a 700+ lb bike to a sub 500 lb one.

Enjoy the new ride! :scooter:

Congratulation Bond on your new ride, I hope you will be happy with how it rides.  Amazing how a short test ride can swing our opinion and provide us a decision.  I had a 2007 FJR and although I think the FJR's are great bikes and I really tried hard to like it, I never had the love that I anticipated I would.  It disappointed both me and the wife (who rides pillion a lot).  So I went back to my favorite a ZX14 (that the wife also loves).  But recently I had the urge to get a more friendly touring bike with hard bags and a few electronics that were missing from the ZX14 beast.  My choice was a bit different than yours, a 2020 Ninja 1000SX.  Hard bags, throttle by wire, cruise, single exhaust, ABS, Traction, IMU, quick shifter up and down, at a little over 500 lbs.  So far my joy continues to grow on this bike.  It's not that different from the Z900 as far a handling and I understand your liking the weight and nifty light handling compared tot he FJR and Guzzi.  I kept the 2012 ZX14r (2 is 1 and 1 in none) and I'm not disappointed riding either.  One of these days I may just get up north your way and ride some of your great local roads.

I had begun to doubt that I would find something that would fit me, that I would enjoy riding as much as I enjoyed riding my FJR. Those worries are now in the past. What a sweet engine! What a well-engineered chassis! I will miss the FJR's shaft drive, its comfort, the way it looks, the weather protection and its integrated luggage. For a little while. The Z900 puts the same kind of smile on my face that the FJR did. The right windscreen and some Givi luggage will go a long way towards making the bike work for me in a way that will help me remember my FJR fondly, without regretting our separation.

Now, IBA certificate rides... those may be a thing of the past.

I've always found the Triumph twins appealing. If I could get my wife on a bike of her own, a Bonneville or Street Twin would make a fine second bike for her. (Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen.)

Kawasaki cleverly added a helmet lock to the 2020 US Z900, voiding a mess of previous luggage options. Givi makes semi-rigid side cases that may work for me, but a top case appears impossible for the time being. My big-ass Nelson Rigg tail bag may have to suffice, for now.

I really wish there were more middleweight sport touring options, lighter, lower and narrower than an FJR, but with shaft drive. Oh, well... I'm enjoying the Z900...