Iron Liver Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
As you may have seen in another thread, a few forum members attended the first ever Iron Liver Rally last weekend (also known as the Stone 11th Anniversary Celebration and Invitational Beer Festival). The Iron Liver Rally differs from other rallies in that you start out with ten points (next paragraph has more info) and most participants end up with zero. That's the goal.

fda1f166.jpg

I rode from Twentynine Palms to Escondido on Saturday morning. GZ (beeroux) drove from Joshua Tree to Chuck's (chickey191) place in San Diego. I met a friend of mine, Bill, in Escondido and we shared a cab to the Celebration where we met up with Chuck and GZ. Once we showed ID and presented our tickets we were given a tasting glass and an arm bracelet. The arm bracelet had ten tear-off tabs on it. Each tab could be redeemed for a tasting glass full of premium beer from some of the 41 different guest breweries that were on hand. After the check-in process was complete and we were given our bonus packs (bracelet) it was off to the end of the line. The line was pretty long, but we only stayed at the end for a few minutes before GZ called and informed us that he and Chuck were much closer to the front. Bill and I joined them right away. We spent the next few minutes enjoying the perfect pre-rally weather, shooting the shit, and telling lies. It wasn't long before they opened the gates and we were off. The Iron Liver Rally was underway.

We first visited the tent of Russian River Brewing. We had a choice between Pliny The Elder and Russian River IPA. (There may have been other brews at this bonus stop, but I don't remember.) Russian River seemed to be one of the more popular bonus stops during the ILR. We were all glad that we hit that bonus early, before traffic became an issue. One point deducted for each of us.

Moving on to another bonus wasn't a straight forward process. With 40 more to choose from and only nine points left for each of us, we had to be selective. It turns out that GZ was our routing guru. He had a plan that he refered to as the "Top Shelf" strategy. His plan was to hit only those bonii that we couldn't normally collect on. If you can buy it in a bottle at the corner liquor store there's no point in wasting a bonus point on it here during the Iron Liver Rally. We followed GZ's plan.

IMG_7383.jpg

The rest of the Rally is a little blurry. I know several of the bonii that we hit, but I don't know the order in which we visited them. To list a few:

Ska Brewing CO, where I had a Decadent Imperial IPA.

IMG_7386.jpg

Bear Republic Brewing, where I had a Racer 5 India Pale Ale

La Jolla Brew House (I think this is the first place I pulled off the "Can I take your picture" scam, thereby getting a pour without losing a bonus point (bracelet tab). Free stuff is cool.)

Mammoth Brewing Co. (GZ warned us all not to try this stuff, but I didn't listen. His warning involved ending up like Kaitsdad in a small Utah town, stuck in the Comfort Inn, a hostage to his own bodily functions). (Sorry Hal, I couldn't resist).

Rubicon Brewing Co.

Victory Brewing Co.

IMG_7387.jpg

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.

Stone Brewing Co's hand-pumped beer station. (Some strange stuff here, I assure you. GZ liked it and the rest of us donated our take to him).

IMG_7390.jpg

Stone Brewing Co, where we tried the 11th Anniversary brew (more than once).

IMG_7400.jpg

This Rally also included a few bonus stops for food...

Mike's Beer Cheese: Home of the hottest damn cheese spread I've ever had (called Nuclear Bastard)

IMG_7395.jpg

Arrogant Bastard battered onion rings. This is where GZ worked his magic. Our first batch came from the "kitchen" area of the tent and we didn't have to wait in line. I think this dude was really into GZ...

IMG_7411.jpg

But GZ had an eye for this battered cutie...

IMG_7410.jpg

Here GZ performs a circus act that was required by the ILR rules anytime you score free rings without waiting in line.

IMG_7409.jpg

Later we actually waited in line for more rings.

Chuck paid for his plate-full:

IMG_7408.jpg

While GZ sucked up to a volunteer and managed to get ANOTHER free plate of rings. Scammer.

IMG_7407.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited by a moderator:
PART II

The rest of the first ever Iron Liver Rally consisted of finding some shade, talking about beer, and people watching. The beer was great, and the people watching wasn't far behind. A few examples:

The King of Mullettville:

IMG_7398.jpg

His Queen:

IMG_7389.jpg

T-shirt of the day:

IMG_7385.jpg

The crowd at one of the shade tents:

IMG_7391.jpg

Helpful volunteers at one of the guest brewery tents:

IMG_7394.jpg

These gals asked GZ "Hey, will you take our picture" as they offered him their camera...I said "yes I will" and snapped one w/ MY camera.

IMG_7403.jpg

GZ made me take this picture: :innocent:

IMG_7401.jpg

And I found it interesting that these girls had on matching shirts. Nicely done, ladies.

IMG_7393.jpg

When it was nearly all over, Bill had a couple of tickets left.

IMG_7405.jpg

Chuck finished the day with a cigar:

IMG_7419.jpg

Chuck was kind enough to give Bill and I a ride back to our launch point. Along the way GZ had him stop at the party house of some of G's Air-Head friends. There I found a device suitable for my post-ILR condition.

IMG_7443.jpg

More pics from Air-Head central:

IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7437.jpg

IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7438.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

IMG_7442.jpg

All photos are avail here.

Nice ride report. Kudos to you for the lack of outside routing assistance. At those types of rallies, I find I always have to call for outside help before its over...

Mammoth Brewing Co. (GZ warned us all not to try this stuff, but I didn't listen. His warning involved ending up like Kaitsdad in a small Utah town, stuck in the Comfort Inn, a hostage to his own bodily functions). (Sorry Hal, I couldn't resist).

Amazing what we're remembered for -

If this ends up on my headstone - I'll return from the grave to haunt you bastards !!!

Oh yeah - Looks like Really Good Beer !!

Yep

I believe I scored a Cirrhosis 10 easily by the first 2 hours. It was when I dived in for the second arm band bonus - adding an additional 5 bonii opportunities that I bit off a tad more than intended and ended up time barred at 2 PM. There I was with 1 bonus ticket left reducing my chances of a Cirrhosis 1.5.

I was THIS freekin' close - and if not for the waisted time ordering the second order of onion rings... I would have had it in the bag. I wonder if I can get an exemption - since I did score the free refill which if I hadn't gotten it free would have cost me the extra ticket.

Oh well.... I guess getting the documentation wrong just means I'll have to try it again. Damn.

I'm appauled. I was only 15 minutes south of this and had NO idea it was taking place. Worse, I had NO plans either...AAARGH!!! I just composed a bitch-out letter to all my beer-consuming neighbors for their lack of neighborly head's up...

I just realized from reading Chuck's post: I WIN!!!!!!

Unless Gun went back for another 5 bonus tickets, I win hands down.

Between my 15 beers, a few "free" beers, the 3 "Jeebuz you drink this" hand pulled cask conditioned that only I appreciated, and the 2nds on onion rings, I think that was good enough for the win.

I'm really enjoying the discussion and the other threads on the Forum, they really help with the boredom of being in bed all day.

The Doctors say my new liver is on its way from Ireland, and I should be good to go by the weekend.

GZ

Yeah, I think you're right, G. Even with my "Hey, how's about I take your picture and you give me a free beer..." bonii, and the "Multi-Mullett photo bonus", you still win. Hey, who was scoring this thing anyway?

Yeah, I think you're right, G. Even with my "Hey, how's about I take your picture and you give me a free beer..." bonii, and the "Multi-Mullett photo bonus", you still win. Hey, who was scoring this thing anyway?
NO FREEKIN' WAY.

We all recieved outside routing help from GZ as admitted in your first post ie "top shelf" route.

Bill was disqualified for asking for a Coors Lite - mid competition

GZ was disqualified on so many counts (staring at and then telling us to "get a load of her" and then pointing us to the female moose with the "You're not worthy" t-shirt on for starters (I still have a finger stuck in my mind's eye on that one)

failing to warn a fellow rallyist of the Mammoth Brewing bio-breakdown - BERORE we waisted a ticket (though we really went over to get the cheesy stick on tattoos).

With-holding a drink from a contestant after consuming that Nuclear Cheese

Losing his sun-glasses

falling asleep on my couch with chicken feathers stuck in his sandals - we most assuredly don't want to know where they came from.

Not to mention inappropriate sexual innuendo at the shade area - and I'm not going to say what (at least not without another Old Rasputin).

YOU were disqualified on general principles (or lack of) improper tipping of the cab driver and illegally obtaining mulletabilia from an unsuspecting public sans model releases.

I think we have to all go back and do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized from reading Chuck's post: I WIN!!!!!!
Unless Gun went back for another 5 bonus tickets, I win hands down.

Between my 15 beers, a few "free" beers, the 3 "Jeebuz you drink this" hand pulled cask conditioned that only I appreciated, and the 2nds on onion rings, I think that was good enough for the win.

I'm really enjoying the discussion and the other threads on the Forum, they really help with the boredom of being in bed all day.

The Doctors say my new liver is on its way from Ireland, and I should be good to go by the weekend.

GZ
You don't want a liver from Ireland. I have one. They're really durable, but they make you thirsty.