jumping batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On both my Gen1 and now my Gen3, I've handcrafted a set of AWG 8 guage custom booster cables, using a set of polarized break-away connectors. This allows me to use either:
  • a high current battery pack I carry in my luggage (designed for this purpose, capable of ~60 amps @ 12v I think)
OR
  • a connection to another vehicle (car, other bike) battery
I have thoroughly crimped/soldered/insulated this small cable set, and once coiled and stowed with a set of medium sized alligator clamps, it can fit in a small travel pack about 6" x 4" x 3", including that emergency battery pack.

Of course I had to create a high current pigtail (bolted to my battery terminals, the other end with a break away connector), and tuck it inside the right size fairing; I can pop off the venting panel on my Gen3 and fish out that pigtail, then connect that booster cable in about 2 mins.

I bought the original components on Amazon about 5 years ago; not finding my exact parts there right now - but here are some similar examples if anyone is interested:

9.5 year old zombie thread resurrected. Impressive.
Even when resurrected with an incorrect answer to the original question, its better than starting another thread! o_O
Some useful newer information on a high current DIY jump starting solution from @Cyclepath and the Eastern Beaver "Powerlink" solution I posted.

(I am putting the EB Powerlink system on my BMW F700GS to connect it to the EB three circuit Switched/Unswitched wiring harness for heated gear, aux lights (switched) and SAE (unswitched) pigtail - as well as to provide easy access to the battery terminals in case I need to jump start)
THIS - with the Powerlink option. (No room for fuseblock, and access to the battery terminals for jumping is a PITA - requires the removal of 6 Torx screws and center console.)