Kawasaki's Supercharged Sport Touring Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to think of a sport-tourer as a bike purpose-designed for the mission. Bags that look like they belong, decent ergonomics, shaft drive, decent weather protection (including a decent, preferably adjustable windscreen). Not to mention the ability to carry a passenger in reasonable comfort. At best, this is a SPORT-tourer suitable for an individual rider. I have to wonder how that supercharged motor will last. I somehow suspect that you won't see very many 200,000+ mile examples on the road in a few years.

Personally, I think that the Yamaha FJR pretty much defines the ST genre. Honda's ST1300 would be there if they had kept up with the times and BMW also fits in pretty well except for some reliability issues and maintenance expense. If I want a sport bike, I'll buy one but won't try to turn it into a long-distance machine.

When I win the Superlotto and buy one -- none of you that dislikes the color will get to ride it
no.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

I like the FJR1300 as I think it is a great bike that has been around and made a name for itself as a capable sport-touring ride. It's not uncommon for owners to make modifications in the seat, pegs, bar risers, adding cruise control, taller and wider wind screens, suspension upgrades and some even adding aux tanks, which would lead me to believe it is a great foundation but far from perfect for many. I think there is also a class of rider who add farkles just because and that is certainly their wallet, regardless of the bike, to do so. I think there are very few that actually reach the 200K mile mark, but that doesn't mean they aren't capable as a whole.

I also think there are many sport-touring riders, who prefer a bike that leans more on the sport side of sport-touring who may do weekend and week long touring rides which may prefer something like the H2 SX. Of course time will tell the story. Not all sport-touring rides are iron butt rallies, but sometimes I read comments that seem to scoff at riders not being real sport-tourers unless they ride a bike like they ride.

I think they compliment each other. I think the FJR, BMW, Connie, St-1300 success influenced the design of the H2 SX, and I think the H2 SX and any success it may have will influence Yamaha in either future generations of the FJR or possibly it's successor. I think it is healthy for FJR fanboys to express their belief in the motorcycle they most trust as it creates a following and market trends which will influence the other bike designers to push forward with like same successful implementations. I also think Yamaha designers are watching other makes and models to determine what are the successful trends and will implement whatever they feel they can to retain or grab market share, within the guidelines of staying true to the brand. That may even some day include a supercharger!

I like the FJR1300 as I think it is a great bike that has been around and made a name for itself as a capable sport-touring ride. It's not uncommon for owners to make modifications in the seat, pegs, bar risers, adding cruise control, taller and wider wind screens, suspension upgrades and some even adding aux tanks, which would lead me to believe it is a great foundation but far from perfect for many. I think there is also a class of rider who add farkles just because and that is certainly their wallet, regardless of the bike, to do so. I think there are very few that actually reach the 200K mile mark, but that doesn't mean they aren't capable as a whole.
I also think there are many sport-touring riders, who prefer a bike that leans more on the sport side of sport-touring who may do weekend and week long touring rides which may prefer something like the H2 SX. Of course time will tell the story. Not all sport-touring rides are iron butt rallies, but sometimes I read comments that seem to scoff at riders not being real sport-tourers unless they ride a bike like they ride.

I think they compliment each other. I think the FJR, BMW, Connie, St-1300 success influenced the design of the H2 SX, and I think the H2 SX and any success it may have will influence Yamaha in either future generations of the FJR or possibly it's successor. I think it is healthy for FJR fanboys to express their belief in the motorcycle they most trust as it creates a following and market trends which will influence the other bike designers to push forward with like same successful implementations. I also think Yamaha designers are watching other makes and models to determine what are the successful trends and will implement whatever they feel they can to retain or grab market share, within the guidelines of staying true to the brand. That may even some day include a supercharger!
Tracer 900 GT, to me a very interesting model.

The H2 SX SE has some VERY attractive features. 197HP - that's 197 reasons why one might just choose to deal with the chain drive. Integrated LED cornering lights? Cool. Quick Shifter? Cool. Launch Control Mode? Cool. Round reflector on the saddlebag? Not cool - but not hard to get rid of.

When I bought my FJR, I was initially disappointed, until I learned to think of it as a platform. Farkles fixed my concerns and now I couldn't be happier. From that perspective, the H2 SX SE is a compelling platform, to say the least.

I went from a CBR1100XX to the FJR. That CBR is a popular option for sport touring with a heavy emphasis on Sport. My aging self wanted better wind protection and a more upright seating position without giving up too much horsepower and the FJR was a perfect fit. But I do miss the arm straightening acceleration of that Blackbird. This Kawi would be a Blackbird on steroids and lots of fun, but my over the hill body would protest I'm sure. :(

I believe it was Motorcycle.com that gave it their highest ever total score for a bike tested. Can't afford it but would love to ride it!