Keep the focus

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
I try to ride with an extremely defensive mindset, always contemplating the possible stupid moves the cagers around me might make and plotting escape routes.

This practice has saved me many times. However, recently I was surprised on two occasions simply because it was nice out, weather was perfect, and I was 'enjoying" the ride with my defensive mindset turned off.

I got out of both situations mostly thru luck and both instances were actions by the cage driver that normally I would be anticipating. (one was an abrupt left turn in front of me by an oncoming car and the 2nd was a car that changed lanes on top of me on the interstate.)

anyway this is a reminder:

Enjoy the Ride but Keep the Defensive Mindset in place ALL THE TIME!!!

Since I've suited up a few hundred times now, it has pretty much become muscle memory, so I try to use the suiting-up process to "get my game on", mentally.

As each piece of gear goes on, I think about what it's supposed to protect, what minimal protection it actually provides, and how much I'd rather not test its protective limits.

Then, I roll out of my neighborhood like a running back from the huddle to line-up, knowing that I'm about to become an unknowing target for all the cage-driving assassins and compromised conditions out there....

Then, after a long successful ride, I try to dismount without putting down the side-stand, badly pulling a hamstring and scuffing my wingman's bike. DOH!

Stay focused until you are safely standing next to your solidly-supported bike. That's two injuries in two WFO/NAFO's. Eve's getting increasingly (and deservedly) intolerable of this pastime. I sure hope I get back to work/chores real soon!