Ken Condon Saved My Life...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnKing

Reaction score
He at least saved me from a serious accident!

I was out riding on Tuesday. I had just finished Ken's *excellent* book, "Riding in the Zone" the night before and was looking forward to practicing some of the techniques he described.

One in particular that stuck in my mind was the idea of having a "Cornering Plan" - each corner we come to has a different method of travel through and, if you have a plan ahead of time, the corner becomes that much smoother. Another thing I was practicing is a bad habit I have - when I hit the apex of a turn, I'm often far too close to the centerline and sometimes my helmet/upper body is over it. It's never been an issue but I wanted to try and break the habit.

I was out on familiar roads, thinking about Ken's thoughts on approach, entry, apex and exit and make sure I had good lines into the turn. I was focusing on delaying my entry into a turn and making my imaginary apex point the center track and not the yellow center line as I have done in the past.

I come up on a fairly blind, left hand, decreasing radius turn - exactly the kind of turn I might be too close to the yellow line at apex in the past. I set up wide to the right, delay entry well past where I would normally have turned in and flicked the bike into the entry. Just like Ken teaches in the book, I've got a little throttle on to steady the bike, I'm looking through and leaning into the turn. This is fun!

Until I came around the blind turn and saw the guy on the bicycle in the other lane... He was fine - he was just a guy on a bike coming through the turn going the opposite way. But my brain told me there was going to be a problem very soon.

Sure enough, coming around the bicycle at the exact same time as I hit the turn's apex was an impatient cager who was not only passing the bicycle - he was doing it with *both* of his left side wheels well in *my* lane. He was so far over, the center yellow line was under his steering wheel.

Before Ken's book, I might have ended up as a smear on his windshield. I certainly would have panicked and maybe grabbed too much brake and headed off into the ditch.

But I firmly believe that, because I had a cornering plan, because I was thinking about the ride, because I was actively practicing technique - because I was in The Zone - the car slipped by me with no drama from me other than a softly muttered, "Idiot..." in my helmet.

I hadn't even let off the throttle....

I accelerated out of the turn and went on my merry way knowing I had dodged yet another bullet but also knowing that this time, I did it with grace and ease.

So - thank you Ken Condon!

One in particular that stuck in my mind was the idea of having a "Cornering Plan" - each corner we come to has a different method of travel through and, if you have a plan ahead of time, the corner becomes that much smoother.
On public roads, every corner I come to has pretty much the same plan- Keep my tires in the same place where the right-side tires of the cars go through it.

Another thing I was practicing is a bad habit I have - when I hit the apex of a turn, I'm often far too close to the centerline and sometimes my helmet/upper body is over it. It's never been an issue but I wanted to try and break the habit.
Broke that one long, long ago.

Stay Right....

First thing I thought about when I read this post was Mr Toecutter....bet he'll post. Sure enough.

Toe, I think I will also start looking at this stay right business when I learn to ride again in the spring.

Thanks Shawn for your post...and glad it had a happy ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up, Shawn!

Ken C is one of our local NH guys who doubles as a trackday instructor for Tony's Track Days. I've talked with him on a few occasions and he seems to be very articualte and informative. The way he delivers the message is understood by many, if not, all. I still have to get that book of his...

Good job, Shawn!

About 10 years ago a local (to where I lived at the time) rider was killed due to taking a left hand curve with her upper body on the wrong side of the road. I didn't know her, have no idea what she looked like, nor what the scene looked like. But, the picture in my mind's eye is a vivid reminder...

Glad you read Ken's book. He's a regular contributor of safety and technique oriented material in the Motorcycle Consumer News publication...probably the best subscriber supported periodical on the planet.

OK Shawn, I ordered the book off Amazon and one of the reviews was David Hough saying it was one of the best books on better riding , so it must be pretty good.

Very good Shawn. I too want to get this stay-right business planted firmly into my brain. And I also thought of Toecutter when you posted this up so his work has not gone un-noticed as well.

I really want to commit to making good riding habits this year and practice them and "do" them while riding like never before. I'm already old so I better hurry up.....PM. <>< :D

Well done! I too, have had the trouble with leaning over the paint on left handers. I always hear Toe screaming in my helmet "Stay Right!" when ever I find myself doing it. So thanks again Toe.

The initial problem, which I've never seen specifically addressed anywhere, is my general fear of encountering a road hazard, usually oil or something else slippery, in the center of the lane while rounding the curve. The few times I've crashed on the street have been because of road hazards in the center track, not traffic encounters. So I've historically "hedged my bets" by keeping my tires in the left hand cager track, assuming the cages would have scrubbed off to some extent what ever the slippery stuff is. Also giving me more run out room to the right if I do encounter something. Or so the theory went.....

Obviously THIS IS A BAD PLAN! I know it so don't single out the paragraph above and beat me up about it. If you are rounding a left hander and not leaning over the paint, your tire tracks are in the middle of the cage tracks, potentially the most hazard filled portion of the road. I finally got over this after attending a "Stay-N-Safe" course in SC. Pete, the instructor, finally got me looking far enough up the corner, combined with the entry technique described by Shawn, to allow enough reaction time to avoid any slippery stuff in the lane. Took a while and a couple of psycological leaps of faith but it worked. "There probably isn't anything in the center track, but always prepared if there is", as opposed to my previous mind set of "there will surely be something in the center track, stay out of it". I now assume the right hand 2/3rd's of the lane are clear and the only space available to me, under normal cornering conditions, and adjust accordingly (obviously will use whatever space is available in an emergency). Now I find I have plenty of correction time, even when I'm about to drag the pegs.

The initial problem, which I've never seen specifically addressed anywhere, is my general fear of encountering a road hazard, usually oil or something else slippery, in the center of the lane while rounding the curve.
It's also a good place to pick up something to puncture a tire. It's covered in my original thread linked above and in my sig for posterity.

"There probably isn't anything in the center track, but always prepared if there is", as opposed to my previous mind set of "there will surely be something in the center track, stay out of it". I now assume the right hand 2/3rd's of the lane are clear and the only space available to me, under normal cornering conditions, and adjust accordingly (obviously will use whatever space is available in an emergency).
The slippery stuff and tire hazards aren't always visible at the speeds which I tend to take corners, so I just stay out of the middle third of the lane when cornering.

Why straighten out a perfectly good corner?

The slippery stuff and tire hazards aren't always visible at the speeds which I tend to take corners, so I just stay out of the middle third of the lane when cornering.

Why straighten out a perfectly good corner?

Agreed. But I find that that limits my cornering "comfort zone" to about 2-3 feet in width between the berm and the center track. Kinda narrow but I understand your reasoning

Another advantage of delaying your transition into a blind left is that you get to see around more the corner before going.

My fun rural commute is mostly blind corners in forests, I try to see around these as much as possible.

The downside on a left is that you can't plan on reducing the radius of your curve by hugging the centerline in the middle, so just stick to the outside all the way through. On a blind right you can start on the outside (you can see if something is there) and you can probably hug the inside in the middle (you'll see if it is clear from the outside), but you can't count on being able to appraoch the outside at the end.

The most important rule I ever learned from biking books was 'You must be able to stop in the distance you can see'.

When the things you might be seeing are heading toward you with major velocity of their own, increase this distance.

Worked for me so far, I've avoided being surprised by objects and road conditions.

The real art of riding a great bike like ours on the streets, is not letting its amazing capabilies run away with our statistical chance of survival based on a near random distribution of anything on the roads, while still going fast enough to have some fun.

I know eventually I will lose this game, but by then I hope to be 100 years old heading toward the nearest place to Kavork, at well over the ton!