Lightning Strikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...my earlier post was in reference to your tag line...
@ LetzRoll

See, I knew there was a reasonable explanation ;) ;) ;)

I'm also now able to power some low current onboard accessories for my FJR
@sgoat

man, I'll bet you glow in the dark, too, after such a close call :bigeyes:

The good thing about this Forum is you start a thread and it'll become alive and take you the most interesting places (like on the back seat of that Mustang, Radman :D )

Stef

I was riding through Utah and lightning hit the car in front of me and blew his cellphone antenna right off his trunk. :eek: I decided it was a good time to stop for lunch. :blink:

I thought you were going to say "Blew the cell phone right off his ear", in other words, some kind of devine justice. :D

Don't you hate people who post one more stupid item just to get their post count up to a round number. I hate it when people do that.

I think that qualified as devine justice, I'd have kept on riding secure in the knowledge that God had his chance and went for the phone instead ! :good:

One time, I was out with "The Saint" and we went to Great Falls, MD, west of DC. Saw a pair of bald eagles there, the old canal locks and the falls. On the way back we started to get rained on. I had only one rainsuit (oops).

So, damp but not soaked, we pulled into The Olde Angler's Inn, a DC icon at the time (hope they've gone under since then). They had a covered porch area and the heavens opened.

Then the fireworks started. We saw the lightning hit the ground in the parking lot, and then a railing further out! We figured, "OK, maybe we should sit down to dinner". There was NO way we were going out in that--I wouldn't be writing this now!

The OAI staff treated us like dirt, totally uncooperative. We were on a motorcycle, we must be scum. My fiancee (now wife) wanted a cup of coffee to get rid of the chill. The idiot obnoxious waitress brought her coffee--in a wine glass. They kept telling us that the wait for a table was getting longer and longer. We figured "this bites" and decided to leave as soon as we could.

Finally, when the lightening stopped, I put on the rain pants and gave "The Saint" the jacket--I was behind the fairing but there were no lowers.

Of course this was back in the mid 80's and it had been hot so we weren't wearing leathers or ballistics--just in shirtsleeves. I've learned a little in 20 years.

I took the LONG way home, avoiding the high bridges--like the Key Bridge. It poured like a waterfall the whole way, and there was STILL some electrical activity but further away.

I have NEVER been so happy to get off a bike! Amazingly, it was my old '81 POS 650 Maxim--and it, for once, was completely reliable.

Of course, we never set foot in The Olde Angler's Inn again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, we never set foot in The Olde Angler's Inn again.
No way you could have done, Yanktar.

It burned to the ground in the mid-Eighties :blink: . There was a suspicion of arson, as two shady individuals were seen leaving the Inn on a motorbike shortly before the fire broke out :haha: :haha: :haha:

Stef

I have NEVER been so happy to get off a bike! Amazingly, it was my old '81 POS 650 Maxim--and it, for once, was completely reliable.
I had an 81 also. My first bike. Bought it used in 91 for $400 from a roommate. I had that bike for over 10 years, and it was the most reliable bike I have ever owned.

What's all this Prince of Darkness crap regarding Lucas Electrics? I've got a Norton, and the electrics are just fine if you have some patience and about 50 spools of solder. :bleh:

I got a good (true) lightning story. Was headed up to Brainerd MN for AMA races with a friend. I was on the Concours I had B4 FJR. The storm was mild when we left, just light rain. Got about half way there and a small, dark squall line appeared ahead of us, closing in. Figured it wasn't too big, just ride on through since we had raingear and all. Started into it and heard a huge KERACKKBOOOM and it felt like someone hit the top of my helmet with a ballpeen hammer. I looked down at the clock on the Connie only to see it flashing 12:00 - apparently the bike's electrical system had been interrupted enough to make the clock lose its setting! I don't think that lightning bolt could have landed more than 50 feet from us. We rode in rain the rest of the way there, but not until after we stopped to clean the sh*t out of our pants and let the rest of the lightning blow through. :sleepy:

Latest posts