Linkage To Ride Height Ratio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanqhar

Reaction score
Does anyone know the relationship between a reduction in shock length and the eventual reduction in ride height at the rear wheel?

If the shock is one inch shorter will the rear be one inch lower?

I don't know the ratio, but it is nothing like 1:1. It's probably more like 10:1.

There is an outfit overseas (Germany?) selling longer and shorter dogbones. I think they publish the change in dogbone length vs. suspension travel. That's not the same as shock length vs. suspension travel, but it will give you some idea. I don't have the URL handy, but someone published it on this board a month or so ago.

Or you could do a sketch of the system and work it out with trig. Would be an interesting problem.

- Mark

i don't know what the formual is . but i know 1" at the shock equals more than 1"

at the rear

If you're talking about the Meissner links, they're 12 mm holes on 167 mm vs 160 mm for the stock links. That gives a one inch drop due to the attachment points. I believe you're referring to the actual shock length as related to the heighth. Contact Klaus Hueneke at www.WilbersUSA.com for that answer.

dobias

Going by memory only, it seems that the shock has about a 2 3/4" stroke. The rear suspension has about 5.5 IIRC. That's about a 2:1 ratio, by guess and by golly. :)

If my guess is anywhere close, a one inch shorter shock will lower the rear 2 inches. :bigeyes:

Last edited by a moderator: