Long Island NY to Nova Scotia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Just got back from 10 days tooling around CT, MA, NH, ME, and Nova Scotia. Michelle and I left Sag Harbor on Friday the 30th and stayed in Kennebunkport ME (summer home of G. Bush Sr.) and then on to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park for a few days. The Cat high speed ferry took us to Yarmouth Nova Scotia where we took the spectacular northern Evangeline Trail along the Bay of Fundy on Route 1. I'm not sure if it was because it was a Monday or if the road is just lightly traveled but we could travel for miles without seeing a car either in front of us or behind us. The road was just laid out before us like a rolling, sweeping ribbon as it made its way through farming/fishing communities with sweeping vistas of the bay. Quick stop for lunch in Digby at a restaurant right on the water, 15 minute tour of Annapolis Royal to check out the village and then an overnight in Wolfville before heading into Halifax. At the advise of NOVAFLYER on this board I stopped in at Freedom Cycle and picked up some color matched foot guards from them and had them shipped back to me in NY. Halifax is almost like a mini San Francisco, very hilly with most streets leading down to a gorgeous waterfront with restaurants, brewerys, bars, etc... We left Halifax and took the southern "lighthouse route" towards Yarmouth with stops in Peggys Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenberg, etc.... If you ever want to see a village that is the epitome of a downeast fishing village, this is it. All the turns on this route were littered with gravel. That along with the rain and fog kind of limited my sightseeing. We jumped on the Nova Scotian version of the interstate between Shelburne and Yarmouth which consisted of a perfectly smooth two laner with 5 mile long straights punctuated by sweeping banked turns and nothing but forest on both sides of the road. If we saw 3 cops in our entire time in NS it was alot so it felt perfectly comfortable doing 90 or 100 for miles on end. Jumped back on the ferry in Yarmouth but this time took a 5 1/2 hour ride (at 50 mph) back to Portland ME and an overnight in Portsmouth NH. 3 more ferry rides the next day from CT to Sag Harbor and the bike was back in the garage....After all that time on the road I only saw one other feejer and that was an '05 on the ferry to NS.

Bar Harbor ME

DSCF1095.jpg

Downtown Kennebunkport ME

DSCF1076.jpg

Ferry to NS

DSCF1143.jpg

Michelle on Cadillac Mountain

DSCF1107.jpg

Bay of Fundy with the tide out. The car at the end of the wharf gives you some perspective.

DSCF1176.jpg

Waiting for the ferry....bet you could never lose this bike!

DSCF1138.jpg

If we saw 3 cops in our entire time in NS it was alot so it felt perfectly comfortable doing 90 or 100 for miles on end.
Nice trip. Looks like you had fine weather. And you didn't go up to the Cabot Trail? My experience with speed in NS is the opposite. Just a little bit over the limit and they've got me, again, and again!

Damn RCMP ;)

Temps were in the mid to high 70's. I didn't do the Cabot Trail because I didn't want to subject M to more than 250 to 300 miles at a time...I still have to live with her.

Also just got back from NS on Friday. We rode from Ct to New Brunswick and then to Amhrst, NS. Rode the Cabot Trail and saw Sydney and the Miners Musuem in Glace Bay and then Louisburg. Great ride, great sites and met some of the friendliest people on this earth. I think I saw one cop in tdhe entire week. Going back again in Sept (probably by car) with my wife. Just can't get enouth of that place.

BMort