Longhorn National Enduro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbottoms

Reaction score
This past weekend the Texas State Championship Enduro Circuit hosted an AMA National Enduro at Barnwell Mountain OHV Area near Gilmer Tx.

The course was laid out by 8 Time AMA National Enduro Champ Dick Burleson.

What an amazing time.

I was racing along side "Off Road" legends such as Russell Bobbitt and Mike Lafferty.

These guys are deffinately not in my class, but it was an honnor just to brush elbows with them.

I have been competing in Enduro's for the past 8 years and this was my 7th National, the toughest to date.

65 ground miles of some of the most technical terrain I have ever experienced.

Uphills that were boulder and root infested, 1/4 mile long and changed directions 2 or 3 times.

The down hills were even more difficult, a billy goat would have bitched.

About 55 miles into the race, I chose a bad line and ended up stuck up to the seat in what seemed to be quicksand.

The only thing that kept my bike from going completely under was the bar ends that were wedged against the edges of the rut.

It took 20 minutes and all the energy that I had left to get my bike out of that hole.

At least 10-12 riders went by while I worked to get going again.

When I finished, I found out that 3 of the riders that passed me while I was in the hole were competing against me and that made the difference of me getting 5th instead of 2nd in the Over 40 B Class.

What an honnor it was to ride with these guys and to do it on a course laid out by Dick Burleson, it doesn't get much better than that.

Any of you guys that like to do dirt and live near the Barnwell OHV Area need to check it out, you won't be dissapointed.

Mark